Fun Times on Canal St. NYC
A Trip to NY isn’t a trip to NY without a stop on Canal Street to check the Knock-Off Goods. If you were there in early February 2018, you could’ve scored some decent DIESEL or shall we say DEISEL Gear.
The Real Deal DIESEL set up shop along Chinatown’s Canal street during NYFY2018. For the first day, they acted as if everything was a knock-off. The 2nd day they let everyone know that it was really DIESEL. The brand received lots of exposure and hopefully some younger fans of the brand.
Prices were also inexpensive and sold on eBay for much more. ProTip: The DIESEL SITE says to check back on February 19 for a re-stock on the Goods! Check em out, you may be one of the lucky one’s to score some great deals on DEISEL! See you on the Streetz…blog!
On the topic of brands knocking off their own brands. Here’s Gucci with Guccy. I bet they sold a lot of these after the NBA All-Star Game 2018. Heard one of the announcers say something like this: Hey, what’s that shirt? That’s not how you spell Gucci
See you on the Streetz…blog!
Fall 2016 School’s in Session
Maxwell Osborne, Dao-Yi Chow & Their Brand Public School sneakily staged a special Inside-Outside Runway Show on Day 1 of Mens NYFW February 2, 2016. PSNY took to the streetz staging a runway outside of Milk Studios in NY. The runway displayed the Fall 2016 Men’s Collection to the public, then circled inside to show the pieces to the media and celebs in attendance. (Celebrities at the show included: Hip-Hop Artist: Fabolous, Producer Extraordinaire: Swizz Beats Instagram Fashion Man of the Moment: Nick Wooster and New York Giants: Victor Cruz.
The designers took inspiration from the movie entitled, The Man Who fell to Earth which starred David Bowie back in 1976. I actually went to see this movie sometime in the early 80’s. It’s about an Alien/Bowie who wonders around planet Earth looking for water to bring back to his home planet. It’s a pretty bizarre, artsy, slow-moving movie and if Bowie was not in it, I would have left the theatre before the end. I remember some pretty rad sunglasses but wasnt so impressed by the styles in the movie.
Some of the silhouettes of the Fall 2016 clothes and some of the more earthy tones remind me a bit of the movie. And if you look carefully enough at the pieces in the collection, you may see some triangles here and there which is the symbol for water. The picture on the left continues the massive Bomber jacket trend into Fall 2016. And the picture on the right does feel a bit like the movie, just with a very large punch of 2016 in it.
Ya know, another thing I remember but barely about the movie, is Bowie kept taking his jacket on then off, then on then off again. Strange thing for me to remember.
Me personally, I like it when PSNY sticks to their black, grey and dark blue color palette. there is too much color for me for this outing. Although, there’s enough black and grey for me to check their site to see what’s for sale in Fall 2016. Also notice the continuation of the Biker Jacket trend and the Jumpsuit action. My friend Eric and I has some nice black jumpsuits back in 1981. We were influenced by a trip to Paris. We used to wear them to parties with fedoras. Where was Instagram when I needed it!
Blacks and Greys ala Classic PSNY!
So far, as of 9:36pm (HST) on Tuesday February 2, 2016, it seems a bit hard to find the video of the show. Just some pictures. (And very glad for them, courtesy of vogue.com) The last couple of shows PSNY streamed the shows live and had some great free total show replays. Not sure what happened this time around? I for one totally miss the live streaming video. PSNY and Marc Jacobs have been super cool about their Runway show videos. Maybe it’s to keep the show a bit of a mystery? Or some sort of far out Retro Bowie insider quip about how they didn’t have streaming in 1976? I really do not know.
Today (2/2/16) I felt like Bowie looking for Water in The Man that Fell to Earth, but instead of water, I was looking for the video of the Runway show. I did find a taste over on the Milk Studios NY Instagram account. Check out their IG if you’re thirsty.
Now if I could only get my hands on a pair of the PSNY x Jordan 12 kicks. Man, so close 2x, yet so far away. See you on the streetz this week in Waikiki and at the Big Game Parties in Hawaii at Big City Diner at Ward.
PSNY SS 2016 Runway Show
Dao-Yi Chow and Maxwell Osborne at Public School sure have their work cut out for them this week. Today/Sunday was the Public School Runway Show, at 3:00p.m EST, On Wednesday September 16, 2015, they have the debut of their DKNY Collection.
This Public School collection is pretty amazing, especially on the female side. I suspect the DKNY show will have more Blacks and Dark Greys along with some sort of NYC vibe and probably some Ol’ School 90’s references.
Here are the best shots I snapped from the Live stream on the Public School Website at 5:30 a.m. Hawaii Time. Enjoy!
The Show – Most of the Black and White Color Palette
The Show-Sexy and Flashy
Colors and Guys
Either See you on the Streetz of Honolulu or at the DKNY Runway Show on Wednesday at 9am HST 3pm EST. Have a Fun and Fabulous Week!
The Right Way to Wear and Wang It
Pre Show Atmosphere
Looked like more people than usually were allowed at such a show. Crowd was also pretty mixed, Foreign press dressed in long Khaki Rain Coats, The Brunette Fashion Gals all staring at their phones, Some various people looking a bit lost? For some reason and not really dressed for the occasion, Lots of Hi-End Kicks on guys and gals along with the pseudo anti-establishment group in their very new yet slightly beat up Converse Kicks. Looked like FREE cocktails were very available. And with close attention, the best foreshadowing fashion flair I noticed were various people dressed in both Horizontal and Vertical grey and black striped shirts and skirts. Some looked planted and others just were wearing it, maybe to support the AW 10th Anniversary? (Later in the show we will see thicker vertical striped pants in grey and black along with my favorite horizontal brown and black striped pants).
Pre Show Set-List:
- Rihanna-Pour It Up
- Fetty Wap Feat. Monty-My Way
- NAS Feat. Lauryn Hill-If I Ruled The World (Imagine That)
- Rick Ross-Bandz
- Various Drums
- The Weekend Feat. School Boy Q, Rick Ross-Often (Explicit Remix) Mixed up with Sirens to get people to settle into their seats for the Runway Show
- Drake-10 Bands (Lights dimmed then went completely Dark before Start of the Show).
The Hashtags and @ Signs
#AWS16 #NYFW #Alexanderwang #Wang10 @AlexanderwangNY
More Color than I expected. Especially on the Female models, one actually was dressed all in Pink! Overall a fun show with mostly wearable clothes. Horizontal striped pants stood out on the guys. And layered with various textures stood out on the Ladies. Red Shoe laces on some nice looking black and sometimes white kicks were very visible. Here is a snapshot of the Looks.
My Favorite Looks
The Two Looks I Wouldn’t Wear, but Maybe you might Like?
Post Show Graphics and the Iconic AW Catwalk Run & Wave!
So that you can see and feel the full feeling of the evening. Here are some of Video Graphics splashing the walls. Along with the Iconic Alexander Wang Catwalk Run & Wave. Enjoy!
*All Pictures from every picture shown Above were shot via my iPhone5s during the live stream. Some str8t from the show, others had a bit of post editing done to them. I almost feel like I’m in NYC this week. (September 2015)
Celebrities At The Show
- The Weeknd
After Party Performers
- Lil’ Wayne
After Party Sea Shore Blue Jell-O Pop Shots
**The Jell-O Pop Shots picture is originally from the Alexanderwangny Instagram account, with some post editing done in one of my latest apps. (App is entitled Layout if you’re interested in checking it out).
What were your favorites? See you on the Streetz and have an Amazing Week!
The Crystal Ball version of NYFW September 2015
- DKNY: Public School’s Dao-Yi Chow and Maxwell Osborne are set to show us their first collection for the iconic New York’s own DKNY Brand. Personally, this is a match made in Ultra-Heaven. DKNY was 1 of my favorite brands in the 90’s with their sleek black and maroon/black iridescent suits, black and white color palette. And Public School is my favorite fashion flavor in September 2015. They also use mostly Black and white colors, thus, these clothes will Rock! With the 90’s back in full force in advertising, TV shows, Music and of course Fashion. This could be the best show to watch then wear the clothes. Look for the Black and White color palette and I’m guessing some Flo-Green, Flo-Yellow, and some bright silver mixed in the accenting. This will push the 1990’s vibe even further into 2015!
- Caitlyn Jenner: Big rumour all over the net is not if Caitlyn will show up, but where and what brand will get the publicity? Zac Posen, Diane Von Furstenberg, Givenchy or even Hood by Air? We just need to wait and see. Who do you think it will be?
- Alexander Wang: With his Retirement from Balenciaga, the industry says the pressure is on him for his own Wang Brand. I’d say, What Pressure? His designs for both males and females is always clean, cool and spot on. This will be a home run for both sexes. Look for some nice black clothes with a fantastic, futuristic vibe for both men and women. (At least I hope he has some men’s clothes). And don’t miss Alexander Wang’s re-issue’s of his runway collections on sale at 103 Grand St.
- The IRL Venue and the Virtual Venues: Fashion Week is no longer at Lincoln Center this year. The main shows will be at Skylight at Moynihan Station on West 33rd and Skylight Clarkson in SoHo. It will also have a live stream on giant screens on 14th Street and there is a New York Fashion Week App that will live stream the WME and IMG shows.
- Tech Giant Intel Sponsorship: Amongst other things, look for the flying drones and memory mirrors. As you can guess, this will be the most high tech #NYFW ever. Well, until the next NYFW.
- Shopping: If you’re lucky enough to be in NY September 10-17, 2015, there’s some pretty nifty shpping to be done. Dover Street Market is having an Open house Party Thursdya from 6p-8p with some exclusive DSM x Converse Kicks. this time they come in a pale electric pink (you need to see the color to know what I mean…LOL) tip, with zig-zag futuristic blue on black high tops. The picture I saw did look nice. Refinery 29 will have 29 rooms of fun and frivolity. 15 Huron St. in Brooklyn. And check this out! My Downtown-Chinatown Honolulu neighbors-FLUX Hawaii have a week long pop up shop at Kinfolk 90 project Space and Lounge. Located at 90 Wythe Ave. in Brooklyn. If you go, tell em’ you heard about it on Streetzblog in HI. I took a class a couple of years ago from them at UH. The class was fun and they usually have lots of great SWAG.
Check back here later this week or next on the high and low lights that really did happen. For now, it’s all in our speculative imagination. See you on the Streetz of Honolulu, Hawaii this week and weekend.
HBA Spring 2015 New York Runway Show
Hood By Air or HBA for short is a New York City Based Street-Wear Brand that is Big on slapping their HBA inititals and Hood By Air name on many of their pieces. In 2014, wearing a Nice large block lettered HBA shirt, moon boot or pants is a lot like wearing a classic logo’d DKNY sweatshirt back in 1994.
Let’s take a look-see at the Spring 2015 Men’s and Women’s Hood By Air Collection.
Grey Hi-Top Kicks: These are worn throughout the show. Untied, Tied, pants tucked and untucked. From the Runway show these look like a winner. Subtle grey, yet a bit oversized and just enough embellishment to pop.
Military Jacket: The model with the crutches rocks an extremely nice military style jacket in a perfectly layered look.
1990’s High School Chic: I really dig the style on the female model that has the slouchy black long sleeve shirt with the ripped, worn and torn white jeans. The two pieces are quite different, yet work very nicely together.
Accessories: Check out the dog/human collars on the models. Slightly creepy, yet adds a 3rd or 4th dimension to the show. But don’t think too far into it, then it’s not as fun! And check out the locks and chains. I saw Madonna Rockin’ the Moschino brand lock and chain the other day and I tried it out about six weeks ago. It’s a fun trend, but man oh man, the chains can get heavy come 2:00 a.m. See picture below of Madonna and her Moschino necklace as seen on Jeremy Scott’s Instagram. And me in my silver and gold custom-made necklaces worn with a Streetzblog x Romeo Valentine How to Make it in New York collab shirt from a few years ago.
Added Flavor: When the crowd disperses at the end of the show, did you notice the HBA logo’s on many of the attendees. A nice touch, yet an expected flavor from a brand that knows how to get their Hood By Air out.
Tan/Khaki Kicks: Ugh, the ultimate worst color for sneakers ever. Might be ok for a desert boot, but not cool for sneakers. I wouldn’t even want a free pair of the Khaki Yeezy’s. Just not a good color for kicks.
The Music: A bit too slow for this show. And slightly eerie and creepy, which is ok, I just would have wanted it to be more up-beat. Try and watch the same runway show with one of these 3 tunes, see and feel the vibe change instantly and completely. The clothes even become more vibrant, powerful and splendid to wear! Music courtesy: Aesthetic Perfection-The New Black, Krystal System-I love my Chains and Youth Code-What is the Answer.
See you on the streetz of the Hawaii Fashion Month. Hopefully, if I finish work on time, I’ll be at the grand opening of the new Jimmy Choo in Waikiki on Thursday evening. And of course, I’ll be at the Alexander Wang x H&M launch either on-line, in-store or both. Have a nice Weekend.
New York Fashion Week S/S 2015 Todd Snyder
The Mercedes-Benz New York Fashion Week/#NYFW S/S 2015 officially kicked off their runway shows. The Coach show had some fun Cotton Candy colors and the #selfies are going off the richter on twitter. Here’s a look at one of the first men’s runway shows of the season, Todd Snyder’s collection:
- Camel, Whites, Green, Grey and Blue: The color scheme is on point for SS. I’m glad that they included the greys, even though Fall 2014 is filled with Grey because everyone thought that 50 Shades of Grey would come out in November 2014. But, it’s been delayed until Valentines Day 2015. Thus, hold on to your greys and grays that you’ll be rockin’ this Fall for next Spring and Summer.
- Longer shorts: I personally never liked the retro short shorts for men trend over the last few years. I really enjoy the lengthier shorts just above the knee. Nice, crisp, clean materials by Todd Snyder.
- Shoes not Sneakers with shorts: I noticed many models rockin’ dress shoes with their shorts. I bet it would look good on an urban street. Not exactly what I’d be able to pull off in Waikiki, maybe at night?
- Light Colors: For me personally, not enough blues and greys. I’ll never wear anything in camel and white is reserved for the Diner en Blanc which comes around once a year. Even though it’s Spring and Summer, I’d rather see some darker colors.
- The Music: Pretty much sucked. One song the whole show? That’s really no fun. One of the best things about these shows is finding new music. This wasn’t the show for that.
- The Crowd: Not enough camera work on the pre-show and post-show crowd. Some of the best fashion finds are in the crowds. Well, one more reason to actually go to #NYFW in person next year. YAH!
Today thru Sunday, See you on the streetz of Honolulu, at the Hawaii Woman Expo, the BIA Expo, The beach, the gym/Clark Hatch, and hopefully at the movies or a party or two.
Dressed to Thrill
Marc by Marc Jacobs Fall/Winter 2014 Runway Show-Tuesday February 11, 2014
Last year at this time of year, I dreamed of being invited to New York Fashion Week to blog about the Styles. This year, of course I still want to dream of going there for Fashion Week. Although, since I’ve learned so much over the last year digitally, I was very close to being there without actually being there. I was able to watch the Marc by Jacobs Runway show live on my iPhone and capture photos as if I was there. Best parts about this, is I didn’t need to wear a warm coat or battle it out with all the other bloggers for a good camera shot. Thank You Marc Jacobs for playing the Fashion Show Live, I had a great time watching the show, listening to the music and taking pictures of all the colorful new clothes.
Sooo many people with cameras. WOW! The Gallery you’re about to see is all the Pre Show hype. See the girls looking at their phones? Some people socializing and probably the best two pictures-Marc Jacobs himself! in the crowd talking to the fans and the press. I had a pretty nice vantage point to get him in the pre show pictorial-Sweet!
The Show-Part One
It was pretty interesting to watch what happens at a NY Fashion Week show prior to the Show. As you noticed, some people socialized, others checked out their phones, and I did notice some nice black bags that were probably filled with some nice Swag. Next up will be a TON of pictures of the actual Fashion Show. The Show goes from start to finish. I took a lot of nice pictures of the new bags, tried to get some nice shoe shots and of course nabbed a bunch of the stylish colorful new out fits for F/W 2014. Some stripes, some plaids, some bright colors, some daring handkerchiefs over the mouth, and I do notice a bit of a “Divergent” vibe with the pigtails and look of the un smiling models. Very interesting. I also notice a lot of grey..maybe getting ready for the Big movie “Fifty Shades of Grey?” I hope you enjoy the Show, it took me a pretty long time to put it together. A lot of uploading and downloading. I’m sure there must be an easier way to do it, maybe by the next Fashion Week, I’ll figure it out. For now, ENJOY the show!
The Show-Part Two
The next portion we will see some more color and the handkerchiefs I mentioned earlier, along with some more scowling youthful faces and some more pigtails. Once Again, bringing us that post apocalyptic look of oppression, style, money and women’s power. I hope you enjoy Part Two of the Marc by Marc Jacobs F/W 2014 Runway Fashion show. Personally I liked part two the best. The fierce looks, The Hunger Games vs Divergent theme, the red pigtails, the fantastic colors along with more shades of grey.
The Finale, The designers and the crowd goes back out to the Snow
Here we see the full line-up of the designs, the designers and finally a few pictures of how very quickly everyone gets up to go. Me personally, I would probably sit and savor the moment. But, maybe everyone is on their way to the next show? Here’s the finale.
You can purchase Marc by Marc Jacobs clothes, shoes, and accessories here. And my parting shot, is one of my favorite pairs of Kicks that I own. Marc Jacobs Brown/Gold Patent Leather kicks from 2013.
What did you think of the show? What would you like to wear? What kind of vibe did this show give you? Let us know in the comments section. See you on the Streetz.