Category Archives: Hawaii Designs
Dye a Day and Another Day
This project is like no other. 27 hours straight with maybe 2 hours of sleep. Brought us 3 pairs of Distressed + Tie Dyed with Bleach Jeans And almost 1 RIT Dyed Army Jacket. As usual the YouTube Videos are helpful but it always takes a lot longer to do what they do in 12 minutes. This time 12 minutes turned into 27 hours. Yes, it is fun, Yes, I am happy with the finished product. Glad I had a day off and budgeted the time involved to produce the end result. While it’s all fresh in my mind here are some tips if you attempt a project like this.
Distress and Tie Dye Jeans Tips
- Budget plenty of time for this project
- Use Rubber Bands or Rubbery hair ties. String doesn’t work well
- You can distress before or after the dye. Really doesn’t matter. I distressed 2 pairs with an Exacto Knife. The easiest way to distress jeans is to cut slits with an exacto knife. Just remember to put a magazine in between the 2 layers. Make slices, then wash in Cold and dry on Medium and you are good to go.
- Get food and Drinks ahead of time. It’s hard to make food or mix drinks with all the toxic chemicals and gloves to take on and off
- Buy 2 pairs of Gloves. One of my gloves burnt off my hand. Pay a little extra for the $5 brand instead of the $2 pair. It’s worth it.
- Get a mask to breathe through while taking the rubber bands off. The Bleach is pretty intense. Many YouTube videos don’t mention this. I recommend it as something mandatory. My skin and brain is still tingling a bit. Hour 29.
- Tie Dye Jeans. The Army Jacket did not take the bleach. Nothing happened. So I put in inRit Dye. The Rit Dye didn’t work either, it just kinda morphed the camo print. must be the synthetic fabric. Most likely the Polyester in the jacket. Well, 3 out of 4 came out Great!
- Have Fun! If you’re not having fun doing this type of gig, don’t bother. I enjoy things like this. If you don’t enjoy the process the time involved isn’t worth it. But the end product is pretty Sweet! *And if you want, email me your waist size and i can make you a pair. Just some costs + shipping. Should be like $75 + $25= $100
- Play some good music. I listened to the BBC Live for 2 days. Heard everything from Heavy English Hip-Hop to underground Dancehall, to some Annie Mac classics, to a pretty Dope Diplo Mix
- Don’t spend too much time rubber banding. One pair took me 3 hours to rubber band another about 30 minutes and they both came out Rad. Although, the more time you spend rubber banding the more intricate the patterns will be!
Here’s some pictures of the process:
And the Final Products:
The Bones Brigade Pant F/W 2019-20 Sniper Wells design for the Street Meat Market 2 different pairs of size 32 Waist. Both Distressed and Tie Dye with Bleach. Both are for sale and ready to ship in time for the 2019 Holidays. E-mail email@example.com if interested
The Layed Back Hack Pant F/W 2019-20 Gold and Dark Blue. Designed by Sniper Wells for the Street Meat Market. Size 34 Waist.
List of Ingredients for a Tie Dye Jean Day
- Rubber Gloves-2-3 just in case straight bleach hits them. Some disintegrate. I used Glam Gloves, paid a bit extra, but they still burnt through. Thus, the need for 2-3 pairs
- Bleach-Get the Linen infused scent
- Gas mask of some sort-Even just the paper version from the Doctors office
- Sharp Scissors-Get some good ones, its worth it when cutting off the rubber bands. I’d recommend the kind used for sewing. The Sharper the better. Also thin sharp scissor tips works well to get the rubber bands off easily
- Rubber bands of various shapes and sizes + Rubber Hair Ties
- 2 Big plastic Buckets I got 2 at Walmart for a great price
- Cold Water to rinse. And rinse them really well. Then wait a bit before washing in cold water in the washing machine
- Jeans-The Dark version came out a nice shade of Green and Blue. The lighter pairs came out White and Blue. I’ve been scouring the Sale racks at Macy’s for 2 months. Got 2 pairs for a really good deal. The other during the One Day sale. I have 1 pair to wear and 2 x size 32 waist to sell if you want a pair. Just LMK
- Food and Drinks-Already prepared and ready. You don’t want to mess with food and the chemicals in the Bleach
- Music-Helps set the tone of the event
- A phone and a camera-It’s hard to just use your phone to do everything. Thus the Camera. But be careful you don’t want to get bleach on it. Maybe get a friend to document the process for you. That would work. I played music with my phone and used the camera and sometimes the phone for the photos
Here is the Gold and Blue pair shot in Waikiki IRL 11/29/19
See you on the Streetz..blog
Goodwill Goes Glam Runway Show
Thursday July 20, 2017
Blaisdell Exhibition Hall
The Goodwill Goes Glam Runway Show kicks off the Glam shopping weekend. When Goodwill takes over the Blaisdell Exhibition Hall to sell some super excellent used and new goods with the proceeds going to Goodwill’s Education and Employment Training Programs.
This is the 6th Annual GLAM! Fashion show utilizing some pretty awesome fashion finds found at Goodwill. This year’s presentation takes you on a 40 year adventure divided into 5 sections: Generation, Retrospective, Transformation, Moments & Confessions.
After the Show, you could shop the Runway looks along with a special section of Kaypee Soh pieces and with a good eye, you could nab some great designer duds at inexpensive prices.
This year’s presentation was produced by award-winning artist and designer Kaypee Soh. Along with co producers Amy Azada, Rene Rodriguez and my friend who got us in as VIP; Amanda Stevens. (Rolanda, Mina, Kat and I all Thank You for the terrific seats & invite to this special GLAM! Fashion Show). Hair & Make-Up: Paul Brown & Jonathan Freitas.
Shown below are pictures from the Show. You’ll see some Glamorous Glitter, Pop Art Colors, a bit of Camo and even some Dark Goth eclectic pieces. It’s pretty unbelievable what one can do with some creative minds, a bit of fancy hair and makeup with Goodwill clothes. definitely very GLAM!
Goodwill Goes Glam Fashion Show 2017
Sexy & Colorful!
Sweet Mint Green Jacket with matching Mickey/Minnie Ears. More Color and our first male model of the evening.
Camo, Stripes and Big Bags. Very On-Trend for July 2017.
The Glitz, The Glamour, the Big Bags and the Sparkling Golden GLITTER!
Glitterama! And as the pix below show it was nice and shiny IRL BTW: The S/S Mens Commes Des Garcons has some pretty good-looking Glittery baggy shorts for guys. Will we see all this glitter and glamour on the Streetz?
The Red Dress was pretty incredible and dramatic. Some darkness lurking, and a lot of pieces of clothing put together to become a dress worn by a super happy model.
Darkness with the white and Black Gothic wedding vibe. Then Pop Art brings the show to a close with a Nice, Bright, Playful, Avant-Garde, Colorful themed Finale.
The Finale. Pix of Kaypee Soh and Amanda. (You can also watch a video of the finale on the @streetzpix Instagram)
Big Score of the Night. BAPE’s and Black patent PRADA Hi-Tops, both in my size! Later this week, I’ll show you the total haul. I’m glad I had a pre set budget. Putting back things was much harder than grabbing them. And sure am glad I’ve had practice at NY Sample sales. One more minute and someone else would have had both of these kicks!
*Seen on site at the Runway Show: Mayor Kirk Caldwell, Project Runway’s Kini Zimora, Dawn Amano-Ige, & Grace Lee with Steve Uyehara.
**The Shopping continues Saturday July 22nd and Sunday July 23rd at the Blaisdell Exhibition Hall. If you’re on Oahu, I’d suggest checking it out. They also have food, a selfie zone and other fun things to play, see and do.
***All pix taken by Streetzblog with an iPhone 6s. Take whatever you like and share with the world. ****Kinda’ went with the ultra secret app with the blur filter…
See you on the Streetz…Blog.
Not Ready To Wear…Yet
My goal was to have these ready to wear on Father’s Day 2016. But, as I was reconstructing the deconstructing I added in a few additional design elements. And am not done yet. For Today, I’m just posting some pix. When they’re complete, I’ll give the story and the deets on the how to’s on the DIY. Happy Father’s Day!
HI for PI
Typhoon Haiyan, One of the Largest storms ever recorded caused massive devastation in the Philippines on Friday November 8. 2013. Sustained winds were 195 mph with gusts reaching 235 mph. As of 11/15/13, Per U.S.A Today’s Research Department, there are 11.5 Million People affected by this storm. The Island I live on in Hawaii has a varied mix of cultures and ethnicities including a very large Philippino community. Streetzblog is doing our first outreach program, since we write about Kicks and fashion the most here, we figured we’d do a shirt design and deliver a couple of checks to the disaster relief efforts.
Streetzblog has teamed up with CityStars Apparel to help raise funds for relief efforts in the Philippines. We have created the HI for PI (Hawaii for the Philippines) shirt in limited Edition White. We will donate half of the money to the Red Cross and the other half to UNICEF to help the children affected by this devastating event. If the white shirts sell out, we will make another color. If we only sell the white ones, we will send a check to the Red Cross and another to UNICEF. Get a shirt or 2, so we can make lots of colors and send lots of money to the cause. (I’d like to do White, Black, Red, then Yellow) Although, I’d be happy with any efforts we do achieve. This isn’t the first time I’ve made some shirts, just the first time, I’ve done them for relief efforts. Here’s a nice picture of the front of the shirts:
Shirts have been produced (11/22/13) and are ready to mail or deliver to you. If you live on Oahu, Hawaii, you can call me at (808) 479-9928 and I can get you a shirt for $20. If you want to order one anywhere in the world just go to CityStarsApparel.com (There may be a little extra for shipping dependant on where you live). Here’s a nice picture of the Back of the shirts:
See more of the shirts at CityStars Apparel dot com or If you’d like to donate directly to the Haiyan Efforts here are some additional links and information:
Text the word AID to 27722 to donate $10 or give on-line at the World Food Program.
Text the word TYPHOON to 80888 to donate $10 to the Salvation Army. The organization uses
100% of all disaster donations in support of disaster relief.
Donate at the American Red Cross
Help the children with medicine, food, supplies and water at UNICEF.
Have a Great Week! See you on the Streetz.