Public School Update-June 2016
Public School NY/PSNY hit the runway on Tuesday June 7th with a combined Male/Female Spring 2017 RTW show. Not only did they show off their new creations, but both Dao-Yi Chow and Maxwell Osborne wore the upcoming Public School x Air Jordan Low Swooshless kicks.
The low-cut sneaks have a high-end pebble leather upper, a white midsole, yellow sole and the color for the Olympics 2016-GOLD in the stitching, outsole and Nike Air Tongue Tag. No matter what they look like, I guarantee you they will sell quickly, most likely on the PSNY website later in 2016.
The Runway show had some nice mixtures of textures and colorings. Utilizing the iconic Black,White and Grey color scheme. Adding in some Forest Green and Beige. And don’t miss the new high-tops coming our way in Spring 2017.
My favorite look is this WNL mesh shirt and groovy slant grooved textured cut up trousers.
Many looks have the WNL – We Need Leaders patches and wording throughout the collection.
And some nice Electric Yellow intermixed with the black, grey, white, beige, green and just a bit of blue. And did you notice the guys in the white jumpsuits with the electric rubber yellow plumbing/dishwashing gloves whacking away at the cinder blocks? Probably some sort of message they’re sending us? Or just having some Public School Fun? Maybe shop class? What do you think?
See all the looks at here at Vogue. *All Pictures courtesy of Public School and vogue.com. I missed the show in person, was at sewing school.
Here’s a sneak peak at my latest creation. So Far, I’ve spent 21 hours, surging, pinning, cutting, inseaming, deseaming, pressing, and sewing. I hope to show the process and finished piece by June 21st. If you see it on the streetz..blog on the 21st you know they’re done, if not still working on them. Whew! *One day I will look back at some of these creations and be able to finish them in half the time or better.
See you on the Streetz..this weekend at Waikiki Beach checking out the GIANT waves!
The Crystal Ball version of NYFW September 2015
- DKNY: Public School’s Dao-Yi Chow and Maxwell Osborne are set to show us their first collection for the iconic New York’s own DKNY Brand. Personally, this is a match made in Ultra-Heaven. DKNY was 1 of my favorite brands in the 90’s with their sleek black and maroon/black iridescent suits, black and white color palette. And Public School is my favorite fashion flavor in September 2015. They also use mostly Black and white colors, thus, these clothes will Rock! With the 90’s back in full force in advertising, TV shows, Music and of course Fashion. This could be the best show to watch then wear the clothes. Look for the Black and White color palette and I’m guessing some Flo-Green, Flo-Yellow, and some bright silver mixed in the accenting. This will push the 1990’s vibe even further into 2015!
- Caitlyn Jenner: Big rumour all over the net is not if Caitlyn will show up, but where and what brand will get the publicity? Zac Posen, Diane Von Furstenberg, Givenchy or even Hood by Air? We just need to wait and see. Who do you think it will be?
- Alexander Wang: With his Retirement from Balenciaga, the industry says the pressure is on him for his own Wang Brand. I’d say, What Pressure? His designs for both males and females is always clean, cool and spot on. This will be a home run for both sexes. Look for some nice black clothes with a fantastic, futuristic vibe for both men and women. (At least I hope he has some men’s clothes). And don’t miss Alexander Wang’s re-issue’s of his runway collections on sale at 103 Grand St.
- The IRL Venue and the Virtual Venues: Fashion Week is no longer at Lincoln Center this year. The main shows will be at Skylight at Moynihan Station on West 33rd and Skylight Clarkson in SoHo. It will also have a live stream on giant screens on 14th Street and there is a New York Fashion Week App that will live stream the WME and IMG shows.
- Tech Giant Intel Sponsorship: Amongst other things, look for the flying drones and memory mirrors. As you can guess, this will be the most high tech #NYFW ever. Well, until the next NYFW.
- Shopping: If you’re lucky enough to be in NY September 10-17, 2015, there’s some pretty nifty shpping to be done. Dover Street Market is having an Open house Party Thursdya from 6p-8p with some exclusive DSM x Converse Kicks. this time they come in a pale electric pink (you need to see the color to know what I mean…LOL) tip, with zig-zag futuristic blue on black high tops. The picture I saw did look nice. Refinery 29 will have 29 rooms of fun and frivolity. 15 Huron St. in Brooklyn. And check this out! My Downtown-Chinatown Honolulu neighbors-FLUX Hawaii have a week long pop up shop at Kinfolk 90 project Space and Lounge. Located at 90 Wythe Ave. in Brooklyn. If you go, tell em’ you heard about it on Streetzblog in HI. I took a class a couple of years ago from them at UH. The class was fun and they usually have lots of great SWAG.
Check back here later this week or next on the high and low lights that really did happen. For now, it’s all in our speculative imagination. See you on the Streetz of Honolulu, Hawaii this week and weekend.
The Missing Black and White Shoes were found on the Red Carpet and at SSENSE.
The Public School Website is running very low on most of their black and white Kicks. We found out where you can get your own pair of the flashy patent black and white sneakers/black tie affair shoes. They are available at SSENSE. There are also a few of the Pebble-Grain sneaks at the PSNY website and Derby’s on SSENSE in the same sweet colors available Today/May 7, 2015. (A Streetzblog Wish-List for sure. But, could sell-out before I save up for them. Cost of any of the 3 is $440-$490). The Pair I like best is seen below and they are $480. Enjoy the pix of the Kicks:
A couple weeks ago, a few of us were wondering what ever happened to the Chemical Brothers. And low and behold, they are back with a brand new video entitled: GO! See and Hear what you think?
Eye Candy from Public School New York and the Jordan X
PSNY x Jordan 1 only made 50 pairs, so might not want to get too excited, but who knows, maybe they’ll make more of the Tens? Enjoy the picture from the Public School’s IG account. To see the PSNY x Jordan 1’s click here on a past post on Streetzblog.com
PSNY Brings the HEAT to Spring/Summer 2015
The Public School NY S/S 2015 Runway Show is delicious spectacle of impeccable tailoring, comfortable fabrics, a pleasing color palette for both men and women with a one-man band. Check out the show and as usual some of the Highlights and Lowlights are provided below the video for a quick snapshot of the show. You may be time starved and just want to read a quick take on the show. I know I get that way sometimes. Just want to read and run, especially on a weekday.
- The One Man Band: Wow! One man all decked out in Public School clothing sounding like a 5 piece band. He sings, plays guitar, tweaks the computer/synth machine to bring a full blown sound to the show all in the present moment.
- The Color Palette: Black and White, Grey and a bit of Cobalt blue. What else do you need for the perfect Health-Goth look! *I read somewhere, not sure where, but have heard rumour that PSNY may explore a new color or 2 in Fall or Winter 2015-16.
- The Materials: The fabrics practically speak the word comfortable.
- Shorts: My personal favorite are shorts that are cut just below the knee. PSNY has them in black, grey and white. Nice!
- Sexy: The females have skirts cut at the perfect length for Summer. And that grey dress with the little mid-riff slit near the end of the show is pretty slick.
- Hats: Not sure how they fit into the show. I guess they look alright on the ladies, but not quite a favorite look of mine for the guys. They’re kinda like old-fashioned flight attendant caps, yet in all black. Maybe it’s where I live, but it would be a hard look to pull off here. I suspect it would work better in Morocco, NY or maybe Paris?
- Shorts: Some were cut above the knee. I doubt the NY bred designers Maxwell Osborne and Dao-Yi Cho would rock them above the knee, I know I wouldn’t,
- Where are the clothes?: Many times on streetzblog we write about things way ahead of time, thus the clothing typically isn’t ready to wear. Today, the show is S/S 2015 and the clothes on-line are S/S 2015. Yet, it’s hard to find the tailored shorts below the knee. Maybe they’ll be available later in the Summer. Note to shoppers: If you like anything you see on the Public School website, it’s best to buy it when you see it. Many of the M, L and XL’s disappear pretty quickly. Today/Friday April 3rd 2015 there are lots of S and XS available. Not much else.
For more detailed in-depth information on Public School, check out this blog posting on Streetzblog. Or to get some info on the Public School x Jordan release go here. To get your grade A Street-Gear/Health-Goth/Perfect colored clothing, check PSNY out here.
See you on the streetz of Oahu this weekend and have a Happy Easter!
Public School x Jordan Brand/Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG
I’ll tell you right out of the blocks, don’t get too excited about this pair of kicks. They will be very hard to find. They are limited to 50 pairs which are going to the friends and family of the Public School brand. The Good news is a similar pair will be produced and available at the Flight 23 shops in New York City, depending on where you find your research on the web, this version could be out by end of Summer or in 2015. There’s some conflicting information about the release of the NY23 version of these kicks. The pictured version is entitled the PSNY.
I know, a little confusing. I do like the PS on the back of the pair pictured. That’s pretty cool. The Icey Translucent outsole is sick. And all black is a great color to sneak into work with or rock with a suit, maybe with a black or white T and a purple or blue pocket square.
See you on the Diner En Blanc Streetz this weekend! A very hard party to dress for, no black allowed, everything is suppose to be WHITE including the pants! Yikes! Maybe I’ll do a post on it, maybe I won’t. As you know, white’s not one of my fav colors to be rockin’.
Brand Spotlight-Public School-March 2014
This month’s Brand Spotlight takes us to NYC to visit Public School. New York bred designers Maxwell Osborne and Dao-Yi Cho are the driving force of the Public School brand. As you can see by their website and clothes, their preferred color palette is black and white. They also incorporate some nice navy blues and greys into the looks, all perfect colors for men of all ages, which coincidently are four of my preferred colors to wear, especially during the evening and night.
Ozborne and Cho met at Sean John where Chow was the Vice president of Marketing and Osborne was the intern who wore ties in his back pocket. According to the New York Times Fashion and Style section, Osborne said that in Brooklyn, “a lot of kids were gang members and wearing bandannas, so I thought it was funny to have a tie. It was ironic.” Next up, Osborne was hired as a designer and he and Yi Cho became friends and the rest is history.
Being named Public School I suspect many of you are wondering where the name came from. And yes, it did come from the fact that both designers attended Public School in NYC. Dao-Yi Cho went to PS 69 in Jackson Heights then Stuyvesant for high School and Maxwell Osborne attended Ps 41 in the West Village. According to an article in New York’s on-line magazine The Cut, Cho has mentioned a bit of his upbringing and style influences, I was sort of a floater,” says Chow of his school years. “I was never just a goth kid or a hip-hop kid, or a jock. And that’s what our label is about — this idea of convergence, bringing different worlds together and still making it feel genuine.
Public School was launched in 2008 in an apartment in Soho, like maybe some of you, I know one was me, they ate a bunch of Ramen Noodles. The two ate many Ramen Noodles and McGriddles. I remember eating Ramen Noodles and Coconuts. Nowadays, Osborne and Cho enjoy eating at some of these great New York establishments: Sasabune 401 East 73rd, The NoMad 1170 Broadway, Joe’s Pizza 7 Carmine St. and Nick’s Place 550 Seventh Avenue/Fashion Avenue. *There’s a Sasabune about 7 blocks from where I live on Oahu. I’ve been there 2x. Once someone else paid and once I paid. It is super fantastic, you don’t order, you are served delicious delicacies from the sea. But be aware, there are no prices listed at the Sushi Bar, but the tab tends to be quite LARGE. It’s a real special occasion type of place, at least for me.
Back to the Brand Spotlight: They took a bit of time off in 2012, then relaunched with new manufacturers and new distributors. And that takes us to where they are now in March 2014.
2013 was a HUGE year for Public School. In November they won the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund of $300,000 and in June the two talented designers received the Swarovski Award for emerging talent in menswear. Clearly a Great year for both Osborne and Yi Chow.
Piecing everything I’ve read and seen about Public School, I’d sum them up as Having perfect colors for menswear with two eyes to the street to get the vibe, with the other two eyes on high-end fashion with impeccable tailoring.
Along with the clothes, Check out the ever coveted Rick Owens Ramone Kicks at the beginning of the vid and some nice black with a sleek double white sole kicks at the end of this Black and White Video.
Public School Jackets, Trousers, T’s, Suits, Kicks and more are available at: publicschoolnyc.com, Harvey Nichols in London, Iseten in Japan, and one of my favorite sites for Hi-End Kicks, Ssense in Canada. Also Available in New York at Odin, Saks Fifth Avenue, Atrium, and Barneys. *Barneys and Atrium are two of my favorite places to visit when I vacation in New York. I typically hit up Barneys on Day One and Atrium and the rest of Downtown Broadway on Day two during my visits to the Big Apple.
While doing research on Public School, I found another label that they design for called Black Apple, today’s Brand spotlight isn’t on them, but you may want to check it out. The Clothes are more affordable and they had some Kick A$$ Knicks shirts. All Black on Black, If they were still for sale I’d be getting myself a shirt or two for the Knicks drive to the 2014 NBA Play-Offs. I know, the Knicks haven’t been doing so well this year, but they do have a chance to get to the play-offs. Go Knicks! Go Melo! Note: Black Apple has been around since Fall/Winter 2010. I know I’ve seen many of the designs on the streetz, just didn’t know the designers from Public School were the masterminds behind it. As of the writing of this article-Sunday March 16, 2014, all three Jean designs are quite nice and priced perfectly, but all sold out, Although they do have many jackets to choose from and a few T’s I’d Rock. If you get a chance check it out. Who knows, when you read this they may have the jeans back in stock?
Sources/Bibliography for the Public School Spotlight: Esquire Magazine-the Style issue March 2014 (Print Edition), Details Magazine-The Fashion Issue March 2014 (Print Edition) ,The Fashion and Style section of The New York Times January 2014, and The New York Magazines The Cut on-line.
Do you have any Public School or Black Apple clothes or kicks? Let us know in the comment section. Let us know who you’d like to see a Brand Spotlight on? Or just tell us what you’re doing on St. Patrick’s Day? See you on the streetz! Or this Monday March 17the at the Dowwntown-Chinatown St. Patrick’s Day Block Party 2014.