Alexander Wang Runway Show
New York City
Sunday June 3, 2018
Early Summer NYC with crisp cool air, Alexander Wang and the Wang Gang bring the Heat. The Athleisure Sexy Bondage Sexy Goth, Bling AW Belts, Spiked heels, Bulky Kicks, with some patriotic clothes and Star make-up mixed in for good measure. Quite a Show.
AW keeps to his traditional color palette of black and white. The overall look is similar to the 2014 AW x H&M Collection.
I’m liking the uni-sex number 88 jersey. Black & White with some comfy short sleeves. The roominess is a great sign for Fall 2018.
Looking like it’s gonna be an Alexander Wang Gear 4th of July party! Face paint with striped stars, nice touch. Pop of red with a hint of blue. I see a Lei!
The Athleisure Bondage Sexy Goth. Makes you want to quit the carbs and get some abs..eh?
Nice roof-top NYC setting. Sandra Bernhard hosted Wang TV. The Classic Alexander Wang running, jumping, waving, smiling & greeting guests post show. One last look at the Bling it on, leather, no lace lookity-look for Fall 2018
See you on the Streetz!
*Pix taken via the live stream (6/3/18) on AWTV. With a couple screen shots from the AW IG.
Fun Times on Canal St. NYC
A Trip to NY isn’t a trip to NY without a stop on Canal Street to check the Knock-Off Goods. If you were there in early February 2018, you could’ve scored some decent DIESEL or shall we say DEISEL Gear.
The Real Deal DIESEL set up shop along Chinatown’s Canal street during NYFY2018. For the first day, they acted as if everything was a knock-off. The 2nd day they let everyone know that it was really DIESEL. The brand received lots of exposure and hopefully some younger fans of the brand.
Prices were also inexpensive and sold on eBay for much more. ProTip: The DIESEL SITE says to check back on February 19 for a re-stock on the Goods! Check em out, you may be one of the lucky one’s to score some great deals on DEISEL! See you on the Streetz…blog!
On the topic of brands knocking off their own brands. Here’s Gucci with Guccy. I bet they sold a lot of these after the NBA All-Star Game 2018. Heard one of the announcers say something like this: Hey, what’s that shirt? That’s not how you spell Gucci
See you on the Streetz…blog!
Top Hot Spots-NYC DEC 2017-Via Streetzblog
- Daniel Patrick: My favorite Hi-End Streetwear brand. Check them out near Alexander Wang at 96 Grand Just off-Broadway. Make sure to say Hi to Lauren and Noel. Pro-Tip: If you don’t see the color or style you want on the showroom floor, just ask, they should have it in the back or can order for you. See more about Daniel Patrick Soho here
- KITH: Took over my go to store Atrium a bit back. I was kinda’ upset about that, so didn’t go there for a while. But you gotta go to the KITH on Lafayette. They have very nice clothes and almost every shoe you could ever want. And it’s a great place to get some nice selfies with tons of white shoes on the walls and under the floor!
- Barney’s: Go in December when things are on sale. I always score something good. This year, bought a pair of Y-3 x Adidas Bounce Sole Kicks. Original Price: $390, On sale for Less than $150!! Hot brands in December 2017 include: Off White, Greg Lauren, Public School, Gucci, Grenson, Fear of God, Rick Owens and a newer fav of mine: Ben Taverniti Unravel Project.
- Canal Street: Its back to being out on the streetz. After 5 years of having to go underground or around the block. Dec 2017 found everything on the street. Amazing goods at great prices.
- Broadway Marketplace: Check out the OWMXN area-Super cool people, great prices. Mix of originals and hip, cool brands. People who work here are super nice and fun to hang out with, another place to name drop Streetzblog. They’ll hook you up for sure. You can also find them on-line at OWMXN.Com or @OWMXN. The marketplace is set to move soon. Right now its on Broadway near Spring and across from empty_Gallery.
- em_pty_gallery: This is the Off-White store in Manhattan. Usually a line outside. Some things are for sale inside some not. And not all sizes on the floor. And nope, you can’t just buy the sneakers. When I was there, you could purchase something from the new line-$1,200-$1,400 hoodies. Then your receipt goes in a drawing. But you need to be in town if you are the winner. Prize drawing was about 6 days from day I went. It’s a got to go to place. Just go, It’s kinda’ trippy, enjoy the experience and talk to or listen to the people in line. Prices like usual. Not for people looking for deals. Yet, clothing is still Pure Fire!
- Dover Street Market/DSM NY: Many of the best Hi-End designers all under one roof. This year the entire staff was very friendly and helpful. Hi to Jonah for helping me out with a gift and wrapping it up perfectly. Pro Tip: December is a great time for sales, some items up to 50% off. Ultra Pro Tip: If you see a T or piece on the rack & it’s not in your size, Just ask. Many more sizes are in the secret storage area. I’ve been going here since they opened. Very fun to wander the stairs or take the elevator to each and every floor. Wear your hottest gear here. The day I went, 75% had Virgil Abloh x The Ten collection, limited edition vans and Triple Sole Balenciaga’s. Major HEAT on the FEET! See more about DSM here
- Art at Canal: This is on Canal at Chinatown. Live DJ, Graffiti walls, and some Dope Clothes. Dec 2017, we find clothes designed by Tommy Hilfiger’s brother. Some nice Floral-Camo prints mixed on top of firemen jackets.
- AF-1 Design your Own Soho: Pick Low, Mid or High-Tops, then color, add laces, spray paint,stencil etc. Everything is provided. Customs made in minutes. Very fun!
- Adidas Mid-Town: Most everything you want all in stock. Just no Yeezy’s. Everything else is there. But grab fast, the NERD and other quick-strike gear goes very fast. Pro Tip: Many things that are sold out on-line are available in this store. You just need to look around and stay for a while. Things drop randomly every couple of hours or so. Fun to be there when it happens.
- Around the World Magazines: The best Magazine Store in Town! This year, they have many mags on sale for just $5 including back issues of Chic Men & In Trend. Even if they are a couple of years old, still lots of inspiration to be found. You can also get the latest issues of System, HighSnobiety, European GQ & HypeBeast all in Mag form.
- Madison Square Garden: Whether it’s the Knicks or Rangers. Check a game out. The arena is fun! Music, Light shows, T-Shirt cannons that blow big blasts of white smoke. They even have Lobster Rolls, exotic cheeseburgers, great shopping and lots of drinks. And you are guaranteed to see a celebrity or two. The night I saw the Rangers play, the Bella & Gigi Hadid were both there, center ice chatting, cheering and taking selfies.
- Modell’s: About a block from MSG. Get your gear here. This years they have 2 for $20 Knicks T’s. Some great Winter Classic Rangers with awesome prices and Lebron Soldiers in more colors than I’ve ever seen in one place. Nice price too! $129 for a pair.
- Bryant Park: One of the best places to people watch in all of NY City. Punk, Chic, Business, Tourist, Local, Trendy, Norm-Core, High Fashion, Models, Celebs, Family, Singles, Flourescent, Fake Fur, Real Fur, Dogs, Cats, Birds, Coney Island, Brooklyn, Manhattan & more. Eat, Shop, Skate, Take Pix, Sit, Walk, Mingle, Drink, and Ride the Carousel.
Nike AF1 Soho, Art at Canal, & Dover Street Market.
Foot Locker Times Square, Adidas Store Mid-Town, em_pty_gallery Soho, The Uptown Punk 8618′ Streetzblog pants.
Barney’s, Selfies, Some of my Own Sewn Clothes.
Bryant Park, Fashion Ave, & Madison Square Garden
Places w/ Biggest lines out the door:
- Pink in Soho
- Canada Goose
- Bathing Ape Soho
Turn On The Wang Hype Machine
Alexander Wang x Adidas Season 2
On Saturday July 29, you may be in luck to purchase Season 2 of the Alexander Wang x Adidas Collection. If you’re in or around NYC, text this number now: 917-512-7715. When you text it, someone will immediately text you back and ask you where you got the number. Tell them Streetzblog or Vogue and then they will let you know where to go, this Saturday at Noon to get the goods. The text also let’s you know that you’ll want to bring your phone and a credit card.
It’s a pretty fun way to buy some gear. Only catch is you need to live in NY. Similar to the release of the Season 1 Adidas Originals by Alexander Wang. They sold them from Trucks on the streetz of New York.
The collection is influenced by both Rave and Cycling cultures as seen by the video below. And good news is, there will be some of the collection available worldwide on Saturday August 5, 2017. I suspect that it will appear on the Adidas and Alexander Wang websites. That’s just a guess, that’s what they did last time. And things went super quick on those 2 sites. Or eBay will for sure have a lot of what is sold on July 29, 2017.
Have a nice week!
See you on the Streetz!
Triple Five Soul, 555 Soul or as I best remember their name: Triple 5 Soul was not just a Streetwear brand but a whole urban lifestyle collab of DJ’s, Graffiti artists, Musicians, Skaters, & Break dancers. In the 90’s, Triple 5 Soul was one of the biggest and most successful Streewear brands around.
Fun Fact: The 555 Soul name comes from a then Popular telephone party line advertised and utilized in NYC. Most likely at 3 or 4am after a festive night of partying.
in 1989, Triple 5 Soul founder-Camella Ehike worked out of 151 Ludlow St. on the lower East Side of Manhattan. Ehike had a store front apartment with a sewing machine in the front and living area in the back. Like many creative’s she started making clothes she liked to wear for herself and her good friends. Between 1989 and 1996, Camella lived in her store and sewed everything. Her friends were very influential in the NYC Hip-Hop Scene and the clothes were so dope, the brand took off and demand became higher than supply.
Fun Fact: 555 Soul’s love beads were worn by early rap/house artists; The Jungle Brothers and Boogie Down Productions. BTW: Back in the day, this was 1 of the only House records we had out in Hawaii. I used to play it over and over and over on my record player at parties at my first condo in Waikiki. circa 1988-89.
Fun Fact: Fab 5 Freddy wore a Triple 5 Soul Tie Hat on MTV, which skyrocketed exposure of the store and sales. Here’s a bit of Fab 5 Freddy as host of Yo! MTV Raps.
Fun Fact: Mos Def was a friend of Ehike and the face of T5S’s first advertising campaign.
Fun Fact: Whenever Long Island’s Me Myself and I, De La Soul came to Manhattan they would stop by the shop and ask for some new clothes. Here they are performing their massive hit.
Triple 5 Soul later moved to 290 Lafayette Street, It was here that I would visit most Decembers.
Fun Fact: Banksky took over the front interior of the store. It was the 1st time anyone brought Banksky to NY. Now (2015/16) you can walk down many downtown streets and see his work everywhere. Especially in the area where the infamous Cronuts exist. I know I was there in Dec 2013 amazed at how much art he had put up around Dominique Ansel’s Bakery at 189 Spring St. Mabye Banksky knew how hard it was/is to get a taste of the elusive delicacies at least you could check out some interesting Street Art. Note: There’s also a fun looking basketball court next door to the Cronut Store. The day I was there, there was even a comp B-Ball to borrow.
Fun Fact: Graphic Designer/Skater Alyasha Owerka-Moore designed the original logo in exchange for a couple of hats!
Triple Five Soul is known for:
- What you would buy in New York in the 90’s to show you knew true Streetwear.
- Designed their own fabrics From Bohemian to Surf inspired.
- Sick Insta’ Street Cred Hoodies and luxurious Velour track suits.
- Dope Logo.
- Wool Cargo Pants.
- George W. Bush T’s
- 5 Deadly Venom shirts designed by SSUR’s Russell K.
- Graffiti pieces done up by infamous Graff artist, Stash.
- Backpacks that turned into Chairs.
- DJ Cases with Built in Wheels.
My Fun Fact: The Triple 5 Soul clothes were pretty pricey when I would visit NY, thus I owned ONE short-sleeved would be vintage now; grey T-shirt with Orange & Blue lettering. It had 3 hands on it doing some sort of sign language. I would wear it on the airplane from NY to Chicago at Christmas time. And whenever I wanted to feel like I was in the know about Streetwear in the 90’s. I remember it being very comfortable and quality made. Was one of my favorite shirts for about 4-5 years. And of course it was a Double XL-The Style of the time.
You can still find Triple 5 Soul on this website. But the most sought after items are the OG items from the 90’s. *Note: Looks like prices are the same or even less nowadays on their site. Kinda’ Wierd.
*Camille Ehike is currently running a modern bed and breakfast entitled, Breathe-Inn located in upstate New York. Contemplating a possible children’s line of clothing.
See you on the Streetz!
The DIY Customized Designer Bomber Jacket
On a major mission to create gives me both pleasure and a bit of pain. Prior to going to NYC for the Holidays, I was pretty obsessed over the black Stampd bomber jacket. Checked their site every 3 days to see if it was back in stock. Then they came out with another version and I wanted it even more. But living in a warm area most of the year, I figured both jackets were nice, but a bit too pricey (Over $300) for 11 days in the cold. So I figured when I got to New York, I would just make my own.
Picture of my inspiration. The Stampd Bomber Jacket:
Friday morning I go uptown and around 10am I find a fairly inexpensive ($69.99) bomber jacket at H&M. I think it’s a bit pricey so pass on it for the morning. After a day of non-stop shopping and window shopping uptown, I end up at MSG at 5:30pm to get some Knicks vs Bulls tickets. After I walk back towards my hotel, I realize I’m near Fashion Ave. So I go to the accruement strip on the street and head into M&J Trimming. Here I have a fantastic time. On a mission to get the back portion done, I show the picture to 4 workers and they don’t really get what I’m doing. But the back was super easy to spot so I buy 2 sets of way too many dark blue strips. Then I spot the Orange striping and immediately get it, buy some skull strips just cause’ they look awesome, I spot a couple patches, get em’. Then buy some scissors, glue that says it sews for you, which it does, and just in case; a whole ton of various sized safety pins.
Pictures of many of the Goods used to customize the bomber Jacket: (Everything here is from M&J Trimming 1008 6th Ave between 37th + 38th St. Manhattan, NY).
While at M&J, I meet some really cool people and have a great time discussing our projects together. One was making a full blown Lolita dress for an Anime convention, the other was doing up a pair of jeans with fluorescent spikes. Cost for my Goods: $80.
I notice on my iPhone that the store that they shop at during Project Runway is a couple blocks away. So I head over to MOOD to see if I need anything else for the jacket. I see many tourists and a few local designers. Met a nice lady at the front who called me Sweetie. Then, bought some needles and thread, just in case I need to sew things on if the pins and glue don’t work. Didn’t need the needles and Thread. Cost of my Goods: $12.
Here is where I lose it a bit. Friday Night at 8:30pm I have all I need to make the jacket except the jacket. I head back out to H&M to buy the bomber from earlier in the day. Was so enthused I walked right by it and needed to walk back 5 blocks in the Massive Mid-Town Christmas Crowd. I get to H&M at 8:50pm, it closes at 9:00pm I cant get it to zip, so don’t buy it. Then I realize I’m on vacation and need to breath, so I head to the Deli for Salami Sandwiches and Grape soda. One of my favorite Vay-Cay treats!
Saturday I head Downtown. I typically get dropped off at Astor and work my way down to Canal. But this time I start at Spring, went down a bit then back up towards Astor. Here at 3:45pm, I spot a perfect bomber in the window of French Connection (FCUK). The entrance sign says big sale, so I’m hoping it’s on sale and it is! Regularly over $158, marked down to $109, and just for today there was an extra discount, so I got my already very nice bomber jacket that fit perfectly for a mere $65. ($65 plus $80 plus $12=$157) Plus major obsession over this project. That gives me both a thrill because it’s quite fun to do a project like this. But at the same time, I’m supposed to be relaxing, recharging and chilling in NY.
While walking in Downtown on Broadway, I check out Atrium and Kith. At Kith, I find the real Stampd Jacket in my size. I try it on and it is really nice. Feels comfortable inside and is worth the $300. Tempted to buy it, but I don’t vibe well with the workers at Kith. And if I’m not having fun shopping, no matter what it is, I won’t buy it. And I wasn’t having fun at Kith, plus I was on a mission to make my own. Here’s a picture of the Stampd jacket IRL:
Saturday night I don’t need to make the jacket because I can’t wear it on Sunday since I go out with friends and it was too cold for the bomber.
Sunday Night 1:00am – 2:30 am. I make the custom jacket. I put the orange ribbon around the sleeve instead of the dark blue, use big silver safety pins to affix it. Then I bust out the glue that sews to put on the patches (It works really well). I notice one patch is a skull, so I add in the skull ribbon on the top and use the last of the safety pins to affix it.
Let dry over night and head to breakfast at the Roosevelt Hotel and over to Dover Street market on Monday in my new custom jacket.
Cool thing I notice at DSM. In the Patricia Field section they have some pretty pricey yet very nice custom jackets that used spray paint, patches and get this…safety pins to affix some of the acruements. I’m right on trend.
Here’s a quick sampling of quotes about my jacket that I was able to wear 2x in NY and 3x in Chicago.
I like your jacket. Quote from Employee number 1 at DSMNY
I Love your jacket. Quote from Employee number 2 at DSMNY
Where did you get your jacket? Quote from co-shopper at Around the World Magazines at 148 W. 37th St. Between Broadway and 7th Ave. NY.
Dope jacket, you can Kiki here all day long. Quote from employee at Patricia Field’s at 360 Bowery. NY.
Look it’s Adam Ant, check out his coat. Quote from G-Spot when I DJ’d in Evanston, Illinois.
All in All, I would say it was a fun project to do. I think I just got a bit too obsessed with it. Like who would go all the way to New York from Hawaii to spend many hours making a jacket? Ahhh…Me. Hehehe. I was in NY to de-stress, not add any. But, I think having this project to do led me to:
Having fun meeting new people at M&J Trimming and chatting about shared interests. I felt more at home than at home, like doing something like this wasn’t so wierd. Other people were doing things like this in NY and even bigger.
It led me to MOOD, the store from Project Runway, which I never would have seen if I didn’t do this project.
Now I have tons of dark navy strips to use, glue that sews, new super sharp scissors that cost less than $12, velcro, silver and gold safety pins for future projects and some pretty cool pictures of the process of making and wearing the jacket.
A fun time wearing the jacket and hearing all of the fun compliments. Most people don’t know it was homemade. When asked about it in Illinois, I mentioned it was Designer and no one blinked.
Sense of accomplishment and confidence to explore future projects.
A good time in the Big Apple.
I leave you today with this quote from the designer Juun. J about bomber jackets from Fashion for Men Winter 2015/Spring 2016. Did you notice Obsessed By? I just caught it and I’ve read this many times before saving it for this blog posting.
See you on the Streetz!
Highly Caffeinated Soda Moving Quickly up the Speed Ladder
I highly doubt anyone will ever beat Red Bull as the Go to default for an Energy Drink. Many have tried, many have tasted better, were packaged better. But, one of the biggest marketing laws ever is “First In” will win continuously or at least for a very long time and Red Bull was First in on the Energy Drink Category. And, Look how long Coca Cola or Coke has lasted in the soda category? Yet, Club-Mate, a highly caffeinated soda from Germany is buzzing in all the right places to make it pretty massive fairly soon.
Berlin computer programmers were amongst the first early adopters in the early Aughts, next it hit the German Rave scene where expectedly it was mixed with Alcohol. Today (August 17, 2015) it’s stocked and ready for action at some of the most famous Hi-Tech companies including: Facebook, Kickstarter, and Gawker.
As it moves along the tech-track, it’s also highly visible where trends kick into gear fairly quickly including bodega’s in the Hipster areas of Brooklyn and the Lower East Side of NYC.
One more plus to the Club-Mate story is it’s made from Yerba-Matte. From my visits to healthy places like Whole Foods and Down to Earth in HI, I’ve been noticing a VERY high increase in the purchases of drinks containing this ingredient. I tried to switch from coffee to Yerbe-Matte about 5 years ago, but it was just a bit to jittery for me. But, the 18-28 year old crowd at the Health Food stores are buying this stuff up like crazy. In an informal survey, I’d say it’s the 22 year old female that likes this caffeinated treat the best. Thus, Club-Mate, just might be the real Next Big Thing! To see more about CB click http://www.clubmate.de/about-club-mate.html
A little side story, When I was in Berlin in 1996, I drank Red Bull every day. This special Berlin Concoction of the brand name was so potent (At the time 3x more caffeine than the American version eventually contained), I could only drink half a can in 3 hours. I’m 1 of those people that loves to track trends and look for the NBT, I figured this was it and I was finally going to be a millionaire. I brought back 4 cans of the coveted Red Bull, had a few friends over and gave them a couple. They loved the buzz, but didn’t quite like the taste all that much. I still thought it was my ticket to the Big $$’s. But as what used to happen to me, Life Happened and I went to work as I was supposed to and let my RB dream go on the wayside. It was about 2, maybe 3 years before it went big in the states.
Maybe, it’s time to get some of this Club-Mate out to Hawaii and make those Mills? Whatcha’ Think? Anyone tasted it? Seen it in their local little store or bodega? We call them little stores in Hawaii. I’ve yet to taste a Club-Mate, but if it comes from Berlin, where I tasted my first Red Bull, this should be pretty Big. LMK if you see it or taste it and what you think of it? Maybe we can all make some Money! See you on the Streetz. This Week, I’ll be checking out Straight Outta’ Compton, a couple local concerts and maybe, hopefully, finally making it to the beach before the Summer is over. Have a nice week!
Spot the Stars
The video is shot at the Standard Hotel in New York, one of the favs for the fresh, fast, fun, frolicking fashion jet-set. Thus, many celebs showed up to appear in Madonna’s video. It’s another great time to play the “Where’s Waldo?” game and see who you can see in the vid. Madonna and Nicki Minaj are of course easy to notice. And my favorite is Alexander Wang the king of Health-Goth.
Who do you see? Watch and write the many names down. You can also play spot the designer brand names. At the bottom of the video are the celebs I noticed. Anyone I missed? What are the fashion brands? Or who is missing? I think it would be fun to see the OG king of the Club Kids-Michael Alig do a quick appearance. Some other notorious NY oriented people I would like to see are Chloe Sevigney, Hailey Clauson & Karlie Kloss, Macaulay Culkin, Lindsay Lohan, Sarah Jessica Parker, Marc Jacobs, Sienna Miller or the Olsen twins since they just celebrated a super elaborate Birthday party. Let us know in the comments section, who I may have missed or who you think is missing from the Video. And the designer brands you spot. Have a Nice Weekend.
Madonna of course
And if you’re wondering who Michael Alig is? or want to see more of the 1990’s Club Kids shenanigans, here’s a fairly new trailer of the latest in Retro 90’s Club Kid movies.
The Other 3 Should Have Gone Pink Hair Trend
The TV show Younger premieres this week on TV Land. When I was in NYC in December, I kept seeing posters that said Coming Soon in March: Younger, I meant to take a picture of the ads, but kept getting distracted by shopping, people watching and eating. And I figured, I’d get back to Hawaii and hear about the show and write about it on Streetzblog. Giving everyone a very advanced notice of the show.
Well, as you can see, I saw nothing of the show way out here in the Pacific until I happened upon Hilary Duff and the man star (Nico Tortorella) with green hair on GMA this morning. Being half asleep, yet coherent enough, I noticed that they were talking about Younger and how it premieres this Tuesday March 31st on TV Land!
The show looks like fun! It’s from Darren Star the creator of Sex and the City and the clothes are styled by Patricia Field who also did the styling for Sex and the City. So, just for the clothes it should be a HOT show.
Younger stars Broadway actress Sutton Foster (Bunheads/The Angriest Man in Brooklyn) as a 40-year old suddenly single mom who attempts to be 26 so that she can get a hip, cool job in the City. The show also co-stars Hilary Duff (Lizzie McGuire), Debi Mazar (Entourage & Goodfellas) Miriam shor (The Good Wife & Bedazzled) and Nico Tortorella (The Following & Scream 4). Here’s the trailer, see what you think of the new show that is bound to get viewers, for the content, the fashion or hopefully BOTH.
So funny, I always mess up and call Sex and the City, Sex in the City. I had to fix it like 4 times for this blog post. And for the record, I thought Madonna looks good-looking like a 26 year old on her Instagram and on the awards show. This show looks perfect for those of us who don’t take an age that we are given and do or wear what we are Supposed to do or wear. And as I always say in my style advice. If you feel good in something and you enjoy wearing it, Wear it…You only live once, Any time and Any age is a perfect time to enjoy your Clothes and Kicks, no matter what age your birth certificate may say you are.
You should have seen my Health-Goth clothes on Saturday. If I can get them off my Go-Pro, I’ll post them on Instagram. Not at all age appropriate, but I felt good and at least I thought I looked good!
Addition to blog-4 hours after writing the original. You can see the pilot of the show here. Totally legal link on TV Land. I just watched it, very funny especially when her phone goes off in a meeting. The Show reminds me a bit more of How to Make it in America or Entourage than Sex and the City. Was enjoyable and cracked me up a few times. LMK what you think, if you watch it.