Ryan Murphy Writer and Producer + Ewan McGregor The Star of the miniseries + the Studio 54 1970s, will equal Big Time D-R-A-M-A
Ewan McGregor of Star Wars and Trainspotting fame will transform into famed American designer-HALSTON. Ryan Murphy is the writer and producer, you know him from American Horror Story and Pose. And from the video below, you can feel Ryan’s dark dramatic vibe all over this upcoming miniseries coming to Netflix on May 14, 2021.
If you think the track on the trailer is familiar, It’s Depeche Mode’s Enjoy the Silence. It, sets an eerie feel for the ensuing drama about to happen throughout the Halston Mini series.
A Bit About Halston
Halston’s early work included designing Jacqueline Kennedy’s famous Pillbox hat that she wore to the inauguration of President Kennedy.
Halston is well known for Hot Pants, Ultrasuede Leisure Suits and Caftans. He also designed for some very High level entities including: the 1976 U.S Olympic Team, the Girl Scouts, The NYC Police department, Avis Rent a Car and Braniff Airlines.
The Mini Series on Netflix
Since Ryan Murphy is involved in the Mini series, we already know there will be some big time drama. And from the looks of the trailer, it will show the rise and tangled, drug fueled fall of Halston’s world. I know from watching another Halston movie, he got so lost, he ended up loosing his own name for a few years in the 80’s.
It should be fun to watch Ewan McGregor romp around Studio 54 with the likes of Liza Minnelli, Bianca Jagger and Andy Warhol. I hope they show the horse prancing around the nightclub.
Check out the trailer below to see what’s in store. The business meeting gives us a funny/unfunny slice of the mega drama about to be unleashed upon us via the special limited Netflix series. I sure hope by sister pays her Netflix bill in May!
And here is a sneak peak of the Streetzblog x Street Meat Market Movie:
See you on the Streetz…blog!
Dope Music, Fluid Flow, & Comfy Clothes
Helmut Lang Runway Spring/Summer 2020
Spacious, Stark blanc en blanc room with pops of colored clothing…fluidly floating thru Time and Space. The Helmut Lang Runway show for the Spring/Summer 2020 season provides a nicely mixed soundtrack of techno tracks, with models perfectly choreographed to flow through the intersections of time and space provided.
Giving us high end luxury clothing that looks super comfortable to wear indoors and out. For both Women and Men. Trust me, Helmut Lang clothes are well constructed, made of high end fabrics, sewed to perfection. Flawless execution of fabrication deluxe. Below are the Highlights and Lowlights of the Helmut Lang Runway Show.
- The Music. Flow of it. Techno pulse of it. Vibe of it, to fit the Venue
- The multi pocketed Olive green cropped jackets
- The Comfy, Fluid, feel of the clothing. It all felt just so comfortable. Flowing, Swirling, thru the cross Trafficked runway
- The Army Green/Olive colors
- Use of straps (Both Men’s and Women’s)
- Silver on White
- Blanc en Blanc setting. Let the clothes do the walking and talking
- Bright Yellow. Yep, Even I liked the Color yellow popping through the stark white background
- The Light Green Men’s Suit
- Bright Yellow + Neon Pink Women’s dresses
- The Helmut Lang Quality of the Clothing
- Too much of the color White
- Not enough of the color Black. (Most of the best HL clothes are black or at least Gun Metal/Nickel colored)
- Da Vinyl clothing
- Beige/Brown. Two of the worst clothing colors other than White and Aqua
- The Faded blue Jeans Jacket and Pants. Just did not fit the rest of the higher end line of the Brand
Y-3, Rick Owens, Yohji Yamamoto, Daniel Patrick and Chapter are streetzblog favorites featuring mostly darker shades of clothing, solidly made tailoring, to wear for many years to come. Over the last 3 years, Helmut Lang has become a go to favorite along the same lines as the brands listed above.
In December 2018, I had finished up a lunch with my friend at a super-good vegan joint near Union Square, NYC. I figured I’d head to Soho on Foot. Was a lot longer and colder than I expected. But, I landed at the Helmut Lang Sample sale. I do LOVE a good sample sale. And this was Perf for me. Almost the entire selection was my all time Favorite color-Black!
I was in that sample sale for like 2 hours. Trying on things, snagging & swooping upon shirts and pants as soon as someone put them back, and putting some back myself as I was on a Bit of a budget. Socializing, touching and feeling each and every piece of these high end quality items. And waiting for an XL or even a L to appear in the Hoodie section. I ended up with 5 items: Black Calf Skin Luxe-Life Kicks, Perfectly tailored Shorts, One T shirt and a pair of Gaberdine Trousers with crisp cool exquisite buttons on the bottoms of the legs. All at 70-80% off retail. Hanging out and purchasing these items, I became an instant fan of the Brand.
Here’s a picture of the Helmut Lang Luxe-Life Kicks. Super comfortable in the color black…of course:
Recently (January 2021) before going on my 90 day no shoes no clothes purchasing cleanse. In January 2021, I re-found Helmut Lang during their Surplus Sale. Was just like a NY Sample sale, yet on line. Not quite as much fun, no hanging with people, no touching the fabrics, no trying on clothes and shoes. But I did know the quality would be there. Scored some pretty dope pieces yet again. A long Sleeve Army Green Modal Cotton (The kind of cotton that is smooth and silky on the skin) A really nice pair of 3m striped pants (Black with silver stripe), a pair of Gun Metal Colored shorts similar to the sample sale, just a bit more fitting and of course a T shirt. Budget was under $225, retail was over $1050. SCORE!
Here’s the Helmut Lang F/W 2020 Pants with Silver 3M Stripe:
I’ve got my eyes on the New Helmut Strap joggers and the Strap knee length shorts. Hope they have enough stock for a sample or surplus sale on these 2 items. Maybe in May. And Maybe in May, we can shop in store again? Hope, the in-store experience comes back sooner than later. I really cant go anywhere nowadays, I like to touch the materials too much, and peruse for way longer than the usual customer. Thus, it’s way too risky of an endeavor for me in March 2020 thru May? 2021.
If you want to see the new goods or the current sale, check Helmut Lang out right here
See you on the Streetz…blog!
Fast & Furious F9 screeches to Theaters (soon)
The Fast and The Furious franchise continues with Fast & Furious 9 AKA F9 set to release in May 2021. Hopefully on the Big Screen. This set of movies is really only awesome when you watch it on the Big Movie Screen. Or you can watch the 4.5 hour F&F on TBS and not go to bed till 2am. LOL Actually not that funny, I’ve done it a couple times and had lots of trouble waking up for work the next day. And I have probably seen Fast & the Furious Tokyo Drift 12x. I like the music, vibe, fashion, style, cars, and of course the drifting. What’s your favorite F&F movie? Let us know in the comments section. (Author’s Note: I own a black Mitsubishi Lancer from watching the Fast and the Furious movie Franchise)
F9 is set in London, Georgia (hmm) and Thailand. Looks like a mix of F&F, Mission Impossible with a bit of James Bond mixed in. The star Power is pretty impressive: Vin Diesel, John Cena, The Rock, Jordana Brewster, Paul Walker, Tyrese, Michelle Rodriguez, Ludacris, Charleze Theron, Kurt Russel, Eva Mendes, Lil’ Bow Wow, Even Lucas Black (NCIS) from Tokyo Drift is back!
AND from the looks of the trailer below, Sung Kang/Han Lue returns from the dead in F9. He’s one of the most fun characters, but I swear he died in Tokyo Drift, but keeps making appearances every couple of years. Last time, he made an appearance, I think they said it was a “prequel”. This time, who knows where he came from? Hope they just think we forgot and he’s just back IRL and not just a mirage, vision or nightmare of Dom’s. I like Han, he usually shows up just in time to provide some snacking levity, right when the movie gets too intense.
There’s even one rumor circulating on the net that Han’s body was taken by Eteon who used Highly advanced Cyber-Punk enhancements to transform him into a living, “breathing” import car driving, fighting machine. That doesn’t quite sound like the Han we know. We’ll just need to wait to find out how Han is back again when F9 comes out either on our TV or hopefully at the theater.
And for those who may have forgotten Letty passed away in Fast & Furious. She was awakened from her “death” in another movie with a bit of amnesia. You know, it might just be like the Batman and Spiderman movies. Time doesn’t really exist, it just morphs around. Let’s just hope that theaters can hang in there long enough for James Bond and F9. The movie theater is the only and best place to watch these two action packed, well-renowned franchises. BTW: The Matrix 4 brings back some people who we thought died, but the Matrix world is already rigged for time and space not to exist, it’s already in the 10th dimension of reality.
In the 1990’s on Lexington parallel to Broadway in Soho and Noho, existed a nice row of stores: Supreme, Triple Five Soul and XLarge. Back then, it was near impossible to catch a cab from Soho back to Mid-town. So, I’d find myself wandering in the near freezing December temperatures, in and out of these stores and others mostly for warmth. Little did I know that I should have been buying up inventory to sell in the lucrative Vintage clothing era of 2021.
I do still have one T from Triple Five Soul, I gave away my XLarge flannel, mainly cause it was too Big on me and I never bought any Supreme. I didn’t really felt safe in there back then. Maybe my age or was all in my imagination.
Get Fast, Get Furious with XLarge Hoodies and T’s
The Iconic Lexington Ave NYC store, XLarge, now in Japan, has teamed up with The Fast and the Furious for a 2021 collab collections of hoodies, pocket T’s and long sleeved shirts.
Here’s the listing of what you can expect from this collab:
- Dom Toretto/Vin Diesel in full race ready mode
- Suki from 2 Fast 2 Furious
- Twinkie/Lil Bow Wow and Sean Boswell/Lucas Black staring at the over the top bright green Hulk car
- Scene from Tokyo Drift a bit prior to Sean tearing apart Han’s car attempting to race the Drift Master
The Fast & the Furious x XLarge Collab drips and drops this Saturday (1/23/21) AT THE XLARGE stores in Japan and at the ZOZOTOWN on-line shop. Pix of clothing courtesy of XLarge Japan and Hypebeast
See you on the Streetz!
The Pop Up Shop Event-74 West 47th Street in the Diamond District New York, NY
Uncut Gems Pop up Shop
Adam Sandler takes a turn from comedy to a dramatic/action movie entitled Uncut Gems. In honor and to promote the movie, the A24 movie company took over a real Diamond Store and turned it into an Imaginary KMH Gems & Jewelry store in the Diamond District of New York City (12/20-12/22 2019)
Art Imitates Life which Imitates Art then Life Again (Streetzblog 12/21/19) *A bit confusing yet makes total sense.
Free Uncut Gems Giveaways
The event was quite fun. Upon entering you receive a free newspaper set in the 80’s complete with He Got Game ads and Knicks scores. It also comes with a free movie poster. Then you may be lucky to get some Uncut Gems temp tattoos and a bottled water. In this area they have some very dope basketballs, but for some reason they are not for sale. Pretty sure they said they would be for sale in May on their website. I would have bought one for sure if they were for sale.
Free pictures on store on 2nd floor
Next you can walk upstairs, get your picture taken by the security camera. then you punch in your mobile phone number and they send you a quick 4 second video to upload to social media. After that, it’s time to choose some Bling from the movie set and get a couple selfies.
Mini Museum of props from Uncut Gems
Next is a mini museum with props from the film. Kevin Garnett’s Jersey and Kicks, some more bling and other various items from the movie.
Socialize-Meet and Greet the Cast of Uncut Gems
Then it was time to socialize. I met the 2 owners of the real shop and actors in the movie, Jessica Mullayev & Jonathan Aranbayev: who plays Adam Sandlers son in the movie. He had on a custom Uncut Gems chain that I would have bought on the spot. But alas, it was a gift from the movie and NFS. *The movie also stars: Idina Menzel, Kevin Garnett, The Weeknd, Julie Fox, Lakeith Stanfield, Judd Hirsch, Wayne Diamond and other familiar faces from the big screen and the Diamond District.
Avianne Jewelers-The Real Store
After I walked over with Jonny to check on the real store Avianne Jewelers, where I looked over some major big time B-B-B-Bling. Prices can be 750k+, 6k and they had a few items for $520 that were quite nice. Very awesome shop and make sure you check out the T’s, hoodies, bomber jackets and track pants. They are also very nice. High quality materials with Gold or crystal accruements. Avianne Jewelers is located at 28 West 47th Street NY, NY.
All in all a very exciting + Fun Experience. Everyone was in a really good mood which also helped make the event special. Now it’s time to see the Uncut Gems movie.
See you on the Streetz of New York in the Diamond District
Alexander Wang Runway Show
New York City
Sunday June 3, 2018
Early Summer NYC with crisp cool air, Alexander Wang and the Wang Gang bring the Heat. The Athleisure Sexy Bondage Sexy Goth, Bling AW Belts, Spiked heels, Bulky Kicks, with some patriotic clothes and Star make-up mixed in for good measure. Quite a Show.
AW keeps to his traditional color palette of black and white. The overall look is similar to the 2014 AW x H&M Collection.
I’m liking the uni-sex number 88 jersey. Black & White with some comfy short sleeves. The roominess is a great sign for Fall 2018.
Looking like it’s gonna be an Alexander Wang Gear 4th of July party! Face paint with striped stars, nice touch. Pop of red with a hint of blue. I see a Lei!
The Athleisure Bondage Sexy Goth. Makes you want to quit the carbs and get some abs..eh?
Nice roof-top NYC setting. Sandra Bernhard hosted Wang TV. The Classic Alexander Wang running, jumping, waving, smiling & greeting guests post show. One last look at the Bling it on, leather, no lace lookity-look for Fall 2018
See you on the Streetz!
*Pix taken via the live stream (6/3/18) on AWTV. With a couple screen shots from the AW IG.
Fun Times on Canal St. NYC
A Trip to NY isn’t a trip to NY without a stop on Canal Street to check the Knock-Off Goods. If you were there in early February 2018, you could’ve scored some decent DIESEL or shall we say DEISEL Gear.
The Real Deal DIESEL set up shop along Chinatown’s Canal street during NYFY2018. For the first day, they acted as if everything was a knock-off. The 2nd day they let everyone know that it was really DIESEL. The brand received lots of exposure and hopefully some younger fans of the brand.
Prices were also inexpensive and sold on eBay for much more. ProTip: The DIESEL SITE says to check back on February 19 for a re-stock on the Goods! Check em out, you may be one of the lucky one’s to score some great deals on DEISEL! See you on the Streetz…blog!
On the topic of brands knocking off their own brands. Here’s Gucci with Guccy. I bet they sold a lot of these after the NBA All-Star Game 2018. Heard one of the announcers say something like this: Hey, what’s that shirt? That’s not how you spell Gucci
See you on the Streetz…blog!
Top Hot Spots-NYC DEC 2017-Via Streetzblog
- Daniel Patrick: My favorite Hi-End Streetwear brand. Check them out near Alexander Wang at 96 Grand Just off-Broadway. Make sure to say Hi to Lauren and Noel. Pro-Tip: If you don’t see the color or style you want on the showroom floor, just ask, they should have it in the back or can order for you. See more about Daniel Patrick Soho here
- KITH: Took over my go to store Atrium a bit back. I was kinda’ upset about that, so didn’t go there for a while. But you gotta go to the KITH on Lafayette. They have very nice clothes and almost every shoe you could ever want. And it’s a great place to get some nice selfies with tons of white shoes on the walls and under the floor!
- Barney’s: Go in December when things are on sale. I always score something good. This year, bought a pair of Y-3 x Adidas Bounce Sole Kicks. Original Price: $390, On sale for Less than $150!! Hot brands in December 2017 include: Off White, Greg Lauren, Public School, Gucci, Grenson, Fear of God, Rick Owens and a newer fav of mine: Ben Taverniti Unravel Project.
- Canal Street: Its back to being out on the streetz. After 5 years of having to go underground or around the block. Dec 2017 found everything on the street. Amazing goods at great prices.
- Broadway Marketplace: Check out the OWMXN area-Super cool people, great prices. Mix of originals and hip, cool brands. People who work here are super nice and fun to hang out with, another place to name drop Streetzblog. They’ll hook you up for sure. You can also find them on-line at OWMXN.Com or @OWMXN. The marketplace is set to move soon. Right now its on Broadway near Spring and across from empty_Gallery.
- em_pty_gallery: This is the Off-White store in Manhattan. Usually a line outside. Some things are for sale inside some not. And not all sizes on the floor. And nope, you can’t just buy the sneakers. When I was there, you could purchase something from the new line-$1,200-$1,400 hoodies. Then your receipt goes in a drawing. But you need to be in town if you are the winner. Prize drawing was about 6 days from day I went. It’s a got to go to place. Just go, It’s kinda’ trippy, enjoy the experience and talk to or listen to the people in line. Prices like usual. Not for people looking for deals. Yet, clothing is still Pure Fire!
- Dover Street Market/DSM NY: Many of the best Hi-End designers all under one roof. This year the entire staff was very friendly and helpful. Hi to Jonah for helping me out with a gift and wrapping it up perfectly. Pro Tip: December is a great time for sales, some items up to 50% off. Ultra Pro Tip: If you see a T or piece on the rack & it’s not in your size, Just ask. Many more sizes are in the secret storage area. I’ve been going here since they opened. Very fun to wander the stairs or take the elevator to each and every floor. Wear your hottest gear here. The day I went, 75% had Virgil Abloh x The Ten collection, limited edition vans and Triple Sole Balenciaga’s. Major HEAT on the FEET! See more about DSM here
- Art at Canal: This is on Canal at Chinatown. Live DJ, Graffiti walls, and some Dope Clothes. Dec 2017, we find clothes designed by Tommy Hilfiger’s brother. Some nice Floral-Camo prints mixed on top of firemen jackets.
- AF-1 Design your Own Soho: Pick Low, Mid or High-Tops, then color, add laces, spray paint,stencil etc. Everything is provided. Customs made in minutes. Very fun!
- Adidas Mid-Town: Most everything you want all in stock. Just no Yeezy’s. Everything else is there. But grab fast, the NERD and other quick-strike gear goes very fast. Pro Tip: Many things that are sold out on-line are available in this store. You just need to look around and stay for a while. Things drop randomly every couple of hours or so. Fun to be there when it happens.
- Around the World Magazines: The best Magazine Store in Town! This year, they have many mags on sale for just $5 including back issues of Chic Men & In Trend. Even if they are a couple of years old, still lots of inspiration to be found. You can also get the latest issues of System, HighSnobiety, European GQ & HypeBeast all in Mag form.
- Madison Square Garden: Whether it’s the Knicks or Rangers. Check a game out. The arena is fun! Music, Light shows, T-Shirt cannons that blow big blasts of white smoke. They even have Lobster Rolls, exotic cheeseburgers, great shopping and lots of drinks. And you are guaranteed to see a celebrity or two. The night I saw the Rangers play, the Bella & Gigi Hadid were both there, center ice chatting, cheering and taking selfies.
- Modell’s: About a block from MSG. Get your gear here. This years they have 2 for $20 Knicks T’s. Some great Winter Classic Rangers with awesome prices and Lebron Soldiers in more colors than I’ve ever seen in one place. Nice price too! $129 for a pair.
- Bryant Park: One of the best places to people watch in all of NY City. Punk, Chic, Business, Tourist, Local, Trendy, Norm-Core, High Fashion, Models, Celebs, Family, Singles, Flourescent, Fake Fur, Real Fur, Dogs, Cats, Birds, Coney Island, Brooklyn, Manhattan & more. Eat, Shop, Skate, Take Pix, Sit, Walk, Mingle, Drink, and Ride the Carousel.
Nike AF1 Soho, Art at Canal, & Dover Street Market.
Foot Locker Times Square, Adidas Store Mid-Town, em_pty_gallery Soho, The Uptown Punk 8618′ Streetzblog pants.
Barney’s, Selfies, Some of my Own Sewn Clothes.
Bryant Park, Fashion Ave, & Madison Square Garden
Places w/ Biggest lines out the door:
- Pink in Soho
- Canada Goose
- Bathing Ape Soho
Turn On The Wang Hype Machine
Alexander Wang x Adidas Season 2
On Saturday July 29, you may be in luck to purchase Season 2 of the Alexander Wang x Adidas Collection. If you’re in or around NYC, text this number now: 917-512-7715. When you text it, someone will immediately text you back and ask you where you got the number. Tell them Streetzblog or Vogue and then they will let you know where to go, this Saturday at Noon to get the goods. The text also let’s you know that you’ll want to bring your phone and a credit card.
It’s a pretty fun way to buy some gear. Only catch is you need to live in NY. Similar to the release of the Season 1 Adidas Originals by Alexander Wang. They sold them from Trucks on the streetz of New York.
The collection is influenced by both Rave and Cycling cultures as seen by the video below. And good news is, there will be some of the collection available worldwide on Saturday August 5, 2017. I suspect that it will appear on the Adidas and Alexander Wang websites. That’s just a guess, that’s what they did last time. And things went super quick on those 2 sites. Or eBay will for sure have a lot of what is sold on July 29, 2017.
Have a nice week!
See you on the Streetz!
Triple Five Soul, 555 Soul or as I best remember their name: Triple 5 Soul was not just a Streetwear brand but a whole urban lifestyle collab of DJ’s, Graffiti artists, Musicians, Skaters, & Break dancers. In the 90’s, Triple 5 Soul was one of the biggest and most successful Streewear brands around.
Fun Fact: The 555 Soul name comes from a then Popular telephone party line advertised and utilized in NYC. Most likely at 3 or 4am after a festive night of partying.
in 1989, Triple 5 Soul founder-Camella Ehike worked out of 151 Ludlow St. on the lower East Side of Manhattan. Ehike had a store front apartment with a sewing machine in the front and living area in the back. Like many creative’s she started making clothes she liked to wear for herself and her good friends. Between 1989 and 1996, Camella lived in her store and sewed everything. Her friends were very influential in the NYC Hip-Hop Scene and the clothes were so dope, the brand took off and demand became higher than supply.
Fun Fact: 555 Soul’s love beads were worn by early rap/house artists; The Jungle Brothers and Boogie Down Productions. BTW: Back in the day, this was 1 of the only House records we had out in Hawaii. I used to play it over and over and over on my record player at parties at my first condo in Waikiki. circa 1988-89.
Fun Fact: Fab 5 Freddy wore a Triple 5 Soul Tie Hat on MTV, which skyrocketed exposure of the store and sales. Here’s a couple of pix of Fab 5 Freddy as host of Yo! MTV Raps. With Tupac and Madonna.
Fun Fact: Mos Def was a friend of Ehike and the face of T5S’s first advertising campaign.
Fun Fact: Whenever Long Island’s Me Myself and I, De La Soul came to Manhattan they would stop by the shop and ask for some new clothes. Here they are performing their massive hit.
Triple 5 Soul later moved to 290 Lafayette Street, It was here that I would visit most Decembers.
Fun Fact: Banksky took over the front interior of the store. It was the 1st time anyone brought Banksky to NY. Now (2015/16) you can walk down many downtown streets and see his work everywhere. Especially in the area where the infamous Cronuts exist. I know I was there in Dec 2013 amazed at how much art he had put up around Dominique Ansel’s Bakery at 189 Spring St. Maybe Banksky knew how hard it was/is to get a taste of the elusive delicacies, at least you could check out some interesting Street Art. Note: There’s also a fun looking basketball court next door to the Cronut Store. The day I was visiting the hood, there was even a comp B-Ball to borrow.
Fun Fact: Graphic Designer/Skater Alyasha Owerka-Moore designed the original logo in exchange for a couple of hats!
Triple Five Soul is known for:
- What you would buy in New York in the 90’s to show you knew true Streetwear
- Designed their own fabrics From Bohemian to Surf inspired
- Sick Insta’ Street Cred Hoodies and luxurious Velour track suits
- Dope Logo
- Wool Cargo Pants
- George W. Bush T’s
- 5 Deadly Venom shirts designed by SSUR’s Russell K
- Graffiti pieces done up by infamous Graff artist, Stash
- Backpacks that turned into Chairs
- DJ Cases with Built in Wheels
My Fun Fact: The Triple 5 Soul clothes were pretty pricey when I would visit NY, thus I owned ONE short-sleeved would be vintage now; grey T-shirt with Orange & Blue lettering. It had 3 hands on it doing some sort of sign language. I would wear it on the airplane from NY to Chicago at Christmas time. And whenever I wanted to feel like I was in the know about Streetwear in the 90’s. I remember it being very comfortable and quality made. Was one of my favorite shirts for about 4-5 years. And of course it was a Double XL-The Style of the time.
You can still find Triple 5 Soul on this website. But the most sought after items are the OG items from the 90’s. *Note: Looks like prices are the same or even less nowadays on their site. Kinda’ Wierd.
*Camille Ehike is currently running a modern bed and breakfast entitled, Breathe-Inn located in upstate New York. Contemplating a possible children’s line of clothing.
See you on the Streetz!
The DIY Customized Designer Bomber Jacket
On a major mission to create gives me both pleasure and a bit of pain. Prior to going to NYC for the Holidays, I was pretty obsessed over the black Stampd bomber jacket. Checked their site every 3 days to see if it was back in stock. Then they came out with another version and I wanted it even more. But living in a warm area most of the year, I figured both jackets were nice, but a bit too pricey (Over $300) for 11 days in the cold. So I figured when I got to New York, I would just make my own.
Picture of my inspiration. The Stampd Bomber Jacket:
Friday morning I go uptown and around 10am I find a fairly inexpensive ($69.99) bomber jacket at H&M. I think it’s a bit pricey so pass on it for the morning. After a day of non-stop shopping and window shopping uptown, I end up at MSG at 5:30pm to get some Knicks vs Bulls tickets. After I walk back towards my hotel, I realize I’m near Fashion Ave. So I go to the accruement strip on the street and head into M&J Trimming. Here I have a fantastic time. On a mission to get the back portion done, I show the picture to 4 workers and they don’t really get what I’m doing. But the back was super easy to spot so I buy 2 sets of way too many dark blue strips. Then I spot the Orange striping and immediately get it, buy some skull strips just cause’ they look awesome, I spot a couple patches, get em’. Then buy some scissors, glue that says it sews for you, which it does, and just in case; a whole ton of various sized safety pins.
Pictures of many of the Goods used to customize the bomber Jacket: (Everything here is from M&J Trimming 1008 6th Ave between 37th + 38th St. Manhattan, NY).
While at M&J, I meet some really cool people and have a great time discussing our projects together. One was making a full blown Lolita dress for an Anime convention, the other was doing up a pair of jeans with fluorescent spikes. Cost for my Goods: $80.
I notice on my iPhone that the store that they shop at during Project Runway is a couple blocks away. So I head over to MOOD to see if I need anything else for the jacket. I see many tourists and a few local designers. Met a nice lady at the front who called me Sweetie. Then, bought some needles and thread, just in case I need to sew things on if the pins and glue don’t work. Didn’t need the needles and Thread. Cost of my Goods: $12.
Here is where I lose it a bit. Friday Night at 8:30pm I have all I need to make the jacket except the jacket. I head back out to H&M to buy the bomber from earlier in the day. Was so enthused I walked right by it and needed to walk back 5 blocks in the Massive Mid-Town Christmas Crowd. I get to H&M at 8:50pm, it closes at 9:00pm I cant get it to zip, so don’t buy it. Then I realize I’m on vacation and need to breath, so I head to the Deli for Salami Sandwiches and Grape soda. One of my favorite Vay-Cay treats!
Saturday I head Downtown. I typically get dropped off at Astor and work my way down to Canal. But this time I start at Spring, went down a bit then back up towards Astor. Here at 3:45pm, I spot a perfect bomber in the window of French Connection (FCUK). The entrance sign says big sale, so I’m hoping it’s on sale and it is! Regularly over $158, marked down to $109, and just for today there was an extra discount, so I got my already very nice bomber jacket that fit perfectly for a mere $65. ($65 plus $80 plus $12=$157) Plus major obsession over this project. That gives me both a thrill because it’s quite fun to do a project like this. But at the same time, I’m supposed to be relaxing, recharging and chilling in NY.
While walking in Downtown on Broadway, I check out Atrium and Kith. At Kith, I find the real Stampd Jacket in my size. I try it on and it is really nice. Feels comfortable inside and is worth the $300. Tempted to buy it, but I don’t vibe well with the workers at Kith. And if I’m not having fun shopping, no matter what it is, I won’t buy it. And I wasn’t having fun at Kith, plus I was on a mission to make my own. Here’s a picture of the Stampd jacket IRL:
Saturday night I don’t need to make the jacket because I can’t wear it on Sunday since I go out with friends and it was too cold for the bomber.
Sunday Night 1:00am – 2:30 am. I make the custom jacket. I put the orange ribbon around the sleeve instead of the dark blue, use big silver safety pins to affix it. Then I bust out the glue that sews to put on the patches (It works really well). I notice one patch is a skull, so I add in the skull ribbon on the top and use the last of the safety pins to affix it.
Let dry over night and head to breakfast at the Roosevelt Hotel and over to Dover Street market on Monday in my new custom jacket.
Cool thing I notice at DSM. In the Patricia Field section they have some pretty pricey yet very nice custom jackets that used spray paint, patches and get this…safety pins to affix some of the acruements. I’m right on trend.
Here’s a quick sampling of quotes about my jacket that I was able to wear 2x in NY and 3x in Chicago.
I like your jacket. Quote from Employee number 1 at DSMNY
I Love your jacket. Quote from Employee number 2 at DSMNY
Where did you get your jacket? Quote from co-shopper at Around the World Magazines at 148 W. 37th St. Between Broadway and 7th Ave. NY.
Dope jacket, you can Kiki here all day long. Quote from employee at Patricia Field’s at 360 Bowery. NY.
Look it’s Adam Ant, check out his coat. Quote from G-Spot when I DJ’d in Evanston, Illinois.
All in All, I would say it was a fun project to do. I think I just got a bit too obsessed with it. Like who would go all the way to New York from Hawaii to spend many hours making a jacket? Ahhh…Me. Hehehe. I was in NY to de-stress, not add any. But, I think having this project to do led me to:
Having fun meeting new people at M&J Trimming and chatting about shared interests. I felt more at home than at home, like doing something like this wasn’t so wierd. Other people were doing things like this in NY and even bigger.
It led me to MOOD, the store from Project Runway, which I never would have seen if I didn’t do this project.
Now I have tons of dark navy strips to use, glue that sews, new super sharp scissors that cost less than $12, velcro, silver and gold safety pins for future projects and some pretty cool pictures of the process of making and wearing the jacket.
A fun time wearing the jacket and hearing all of the fun compliments. Most people don’t know it was homemade. When asked about it in Illinois, I mentioned it was Designer and no one blinked.
Sense of accomplishment and confidence to explore future projects.
A good time in the Big Apple.
I leave you today with this quote from the designer Juun. J about bomber jackets from Fashion for Men Winter 2015/Spring 2016. Did you notice Obsessed By? I just caught it and I’ve read this many times before saving it for this blog posting.
See you on the Streetz!