Some Friday nights I’m so worn out, I just want to hear some party tunes. Here’s some New and Old Dancin’ tracks for the Weekend. Have a nice one! Don’t forget to take a few minutes to just dance.Found this track on one of my favorite sites: Shoes-Up.com. Rome Fortune with Dance:
And of course David Bowie. This is such a fun video to not only listen to but to watch. Love some of the nifty moves from around the world.David Bowie with Let’s Dance:
When I used to have a weekly TV Show entitled XcelR8TV, we did a really funny show where Don and I played this song one more time, then one more time, then…I played it the whole half hour with me VJ’ing seriously in between. Oh it was Winners. This is Daft Punk with One More Time:
And even though it’s a Friday, what’s a Dance Party without some Saturday Night Fever. Here’s the Bee Gees with Night Fever:
A little Ancient history. One of the first shirt designs I ever made was a blank T-Shirt with black magic marker written on it saying: FRANKIE SAYS DANCE. In honor of the upcoming Zoolander2 movie. Here’s the Original version of Frankie Goes to Hollywood with Relax (Don’t do it if you want to C…)
See you on the Streetz and of course the dance floor. Cheers and Aloha!
STAMPD FW16 NYFW Presentation (2/2/16)
STAMPD debuted The New Soldier FW16 collection at their first NYFWM presentation on February 2nd 2016 with 20 new military influenced looks.
The models rose on pedestals above swirling fog at Platform 3 at Skylight Clarkson North. The presentation was collab’d with Brooklyn’s Snarkitecture creative team. Snarkitecture BTW recently did a sold out collab with Beats By Dre. And Chris Stamp recently starred in a video with Beats By Dre. Kinda get where I’m going? Yep, gotta’ be a Stamp x Beats by Dre Headphone or 2 on the way soon.
STAMPD had some of the best bomber jackets in 2015 with their back and arm straps. Looks like they’re taking the brand to the NXT LVL with the NYFWM presentation. Here’s a few pix from their blog:
There’s a Quad pocket bomber with a removable wool lining coming our way in FW 2016. And check out these kicks from STAMPD x Filling Pieces:
I’m a big fan of Black and slate grey clothes. Thus, most of the collection has a streetzblog stamp of approval. The neutrals or camel colors I could easily pass on. Although, the burnt red shorts are kinda’ tempting. Pretty nice overall presentation on everything. Looks like a fun event to have seen live!
On the video that I watched with Chris Stamp and Beats by Dre, Chris Stamp mentions his clothing being called Avant Street or Contemporary and ends the vid with Welcome to the Future. After seeing many of the FW 2016 Men’s collections, I’d say the future has arrived this year more than ever!
Fall 2016 School’s in Session
Maxwell Osborne, Dao-Yi Chow & Their Brand Public School sneakily staged a special Inside-Outside Runway Show on Day 1 of Mens NYFW February 2, 2016. PSNY took to the streetz staging a runway outside of Milk Studios in NY. The runway displayed the Fall 2016 Men’s Collection to the public, then circled inside to show the pieces to the media and celebs in attendance. (Celebrities at the show included: Hip-Hop Artist: Fabolous, Producer Extraordinaire: Swizz Beats Instagram Fashion Man of the Moment: Nick Wooster and New York Giants: Victor Cruz.
The designers took inspiration from the movie entitled, The Man Who fell to Earth which starred David Bowie back in 1976. I actually went to see this movie sometime in the early 80’s. It’s about an Alien/Bowie who wonders around planet Earth looking for water to bring back to his home planet. It’s a pretty bizarre, artsy, slow-moving movie and if Bowie was not in it, I would have left the theatre before the end. I remember some pretty rad sunglasses but wasnt so impressed by the styles in the movie.
Some of the silhouettes of the Fall 2016 clothes and some of the more earthy tones remind me a bit of the movie. And if you look carefully enough at the pieces in the collection, you may see some triangles here and there which is the symbol for water. The picture on the left continues the massive Bomber jacket trend into Fall 2016. And the picture on the right does feel a bit like the movie, just with a very large punch of 2016 in it.
Ya know, another thing I remember but barely about the movie, is Bowie kept taking his jacket on then off, then on then off again. Strange thing for me to remember.
Me personally, I like it when PSNY sticks to their black, grey and dark blue color palette. there is too much color for me for this outing. Although, there’s enough black and grey for me to check their site to see what’s for sale in Fall 2016. Also notice the continuation of the Biker Jacket trend and the Jumpsuit action. My friend Eric and I has some nice black jumpsuits back in 1981. We were influenced by a trip to Paris. We used to wear them to parties with fedoras. Where was Instagram when I needed it!
Blacks and Greys ala Classic PSNY!
So far, as of 9:36pm (HST) on Tuesday February 2, 2016, it seems a bit hard to find the video of the show. Just some pictures. (And very glad for them, courtesy of vogue.com) The last couple of shows PSNY streamed the shows live and had some great free total show replays. Not sure what happened this time around? I for one totally miss the live streaming video. PSNY and Marc Jacobs have been super cool about their Runway show videos. Maybe it’s to keep the show a bit of a mystery? Or some sort of far out Retro Bowie insider quip about how they didn’t have streaming in 1976? I really do not know.
Today (2/2/16) I felt like Bowie looking for Water in The Man that Fell to Earth, but instead of water, I was looking for the video of the Runway show. I did find a taste over on the Milk Studios NY Instagram account. Check out their IG if you’re thirsty.
Now if I could only get my hands on a pair of the PSNY x Jordan 12 kicks. Man, so close 2x, yet so far away. See you on the streetz this week in Waikiki and at the Big Game Parties in Hawaii at Big City Diner at Ward.
Dior Homme Run/Fall 2016
Fall 2016 brings us lots of strapped and black trousers. Some baggy, some tailored straight. This pair is tapered, tailored straight. The strapping is super-cool and very intricate. I would buy a pair right now if I could. Although, It’s toward the end of January 2015 at the moment, Fall 2016 seems like a long time to wait for a pair of pants. Sounds like it’s time for another DIY project.
The Plan of Attack for my DIY Trouser Project
Now that I’m home in HI, I’m thinking I’ll use Silver and Gold safety pins, the straps I have left over from NY and I suspect I’ll do a bit of hand sewing on them. Once they’re finished, I’ll post 1-2 pairs on this blog. If anyone knows where I can get some flo-orange straps, LMK. I think they would look dope on top some black suit pants. See you on the Streetz! This week it’s the amazing NFL Pro Bowl Beach Party and of course the game. If You’re in town, it’s time to get out your (In this order) Best kicks, suntan lotion, 3/4 length shorts and your favorite teams jersey. Feel free to email, text or stop by any of the festivities Friday thru Sunday and say Aloha.
*I also like this model’s shoes, but I doubt I will attempt to make a pair of them. Looks like Fall 2016 will be a great year for real sturdy, stylish shoes and boots.
Stampd Strapped Bomber Jackets
If you can’t wait for the strapped pants, check out these nice strapped bombers by Stampd.
Nice Pants! Fall 2016
The men’s runway shows are bringing us some pretty dope clothes for Fall 2016. In the previous blog we saw some nice jackets and pants from Dsquared2. Today we find some pretty bangin’ pants from Yohji Yamamoto and Dries Van Noten.
- The color black. There will never be a new black. Maybe slate grey, but nah, black will always rule.
- Straps: I used straps on my DIY bomber jacket, Stampd used them in 2015 on their bombers and a pair of trousers. I own a pair of chapters with a couple straps. But this is next level twisting, flipping, turning, cropping, of the black strap. Very nice!
- Layering black on black always a dope look.
- Possible skirts for the mainstream? They don’t quite look like a kilt or a skirt with the layering, so maybe this will be the year?
- And we can see the skinny and super skinny jeans of 2011-2015 finally and definitively moving towards a more bulky, comfortable silhouette. Whew!
Pictures courtesy of Monica Feudi and Vogue.com
Dries Van Noten
- Sweet Pin Stripes.
- Crisp, cool, a bit more bulky than before pin striped shorts. A must have for Fall 2016.
- Once again, The skirt that’s not a Skirt. Layering and changing up the cut could be the breakthrough?
- The layered look.
- Comfort is in. From these 2 runway shows we see just a touch of the more bulky baggier look. In some of the other shows for Fall 2016, the pants are even wider than these. Gonna be a great year for men’s clothing especially pants.
Pictures courtesy of Yannis Vlamos, Indigitalimages.com and Vogue.com
See you on the Streetz! This week, nothing too special, maybe some eating, sleeping, and resting. Before Pro Bowl and the Super Bowl.
HOT x 3 at Dsquared2’s Runway Show
Lately, my favorite designers are PSNY, Stampd and Chapter. All 3 utilize my favorite colors black and grey and have distinguished Street x Tailored looks.
Today (January 21, 2016) I found these pictures from the Dsquared2 Milan Fall 2016 Runway Show. They take the Street x Tailored trend up a couple notches.
The look on the left utilizes the hip and happening shorts on top leggings and takes the pants to the next level with crisp, cool slacks with crazy stitching, the shorts seem to be made of a really nice fabric, and all goes well with the over-sized double jacket set and the sexy combat boots complete the multi textured combination…all black on black on black on black. Wowza!
The Middle attire adds in some punk aspects with the tartan plaid. Then totally changes the game with a bomber jacket sleeve mixed with a suit jacket body. If I were to add color to my preferences, it would be with plaids, especially this one! Interesting bottoms, with a spice of 90’s shirt wrapped around the waist complete the Street x Tailored styling. I’d wear the jacket for sure.
And on the far right, we see a similar jacket, using the bomber sleeve with a cropped black suit jacket. Not too keen on the colored vest, shirt and tie. But this jacket rocks!
Sometimes, Dsquared2 becomes a little difficult to find the exact runway pieces in-store. If I found it, I’d rock the shorts and pants on the left with the jacket in the middle.
Nice job Dsquared2!!
3 Great Looks from the Dsquared2 Milan Fall 2016 Runway Show
What’s Your Favorite Season?
Continuing to follow the hype of Zoolander 2, today we come across Vogues 73 Questions with Derek Zoolander. The video is a little long, but probably worth watching the whole thing. Cause’ some things are pretty funny others kinda’ strange. And who knows which portions you may enjoy?
Me, I liked Zoe Kravitz when she took her shoes off the couch and the surprise appearance by Super Star Street Artist, Shepard Fairey. What did you like? Dislike? Are you going to see Zoolander 2? BTW: I asked for a Orange Mocha Frappacino the other day. And they wouldn’t even make me one. Said they didn’t know how. I suspect, they just get asked way too many times and when they made them they didn’t taste all that good. Or maybe they don’t have the orange flavoring in stock? I’ll try again at another store before the movie opens and let you know if I get it.
Enjoy the vid and BTW: Vogue has some other vids in the 73 question series that are worth watching. You can see them on Vogue’s youtube channel channel or subscribe to their email newsletter.
The DIY Customized Designer Bomber Jacket
On a major mission to create gives me both pleasure and a bit of pain. Prior to going to NYC for the Holidays, I was pretty obsessed over the black Stampd bomber jacket. Checked their site every 3 days to see if it was back in stock. Then they came out with another version and I wanted it even more. But living in a warm area most of the year, I figured both jackets were nice, but a bit too pricey (Over $300) for 11 days in the cold. So I figured when I got to New York, I would just make my own.
Picture of my inspiration. The Stampd Bomber Jacket:
Friday morning I go uptown and around 10am I find a fairly inexpensive ($69.99) bomber jacket at H&M. I think it’s a bit pricey so pass on it for the morning. After a day of non-stop shopping and window shopping uptown, I end up at MSG at 5:30pm to get some Knicks vs Bulls tickets. After I walk back towards my hotel, I realize I’m near Fashion Ave. So I go to the accruement strip on the street and head into M&J Trimming. Here I have a fantastic time. On a mission to get the back portion done, I show the picture to 4 workers and they don’t really get what I’m doing. But the back was super easy to spot so I buy 2 sets of way too many dark blue strips. Then I spot the Orange striping and immediately get it, buy some skull strips just cause’ they look awesome, I spot a couple patches, get em’. Then buy some scissors, glue that says it sews for you, which it does, and just in case; a whole ton of various sized safety pins.
Pictures of many of the Goods used to customize the bomber Jacket: (Everything here is from M&J Trimming 1008 6th Ave between 37th + 38th St. Manhattan, NY).
While at M&J, I meet some really cool people and have a great time discussing our projects together. One was making a full blown Lolita dress for an Anime convention, the other was doing up a pair of jeans with fluorescent spikes. Cost for my Goods: $80.
I notice on my iPhone that the store that they shop at during Project Runway is a couple blocks away. So I head over to MOOD to see if I need anything else for the jacket. I see many tourists and a few local designers. Met a nice lady at the front who called me Sweetie. Then, bought some needles and thread, just in case I need to sew things on if the pins and glue don’t work. Didn’t need the needles and Thread. Cost of my Goods: $12.
Here is where I lose it a bit. Friday Night at 8:30pm I have all I need to make the jacket except the jacket. I head back out to H&M to buy the bomber from earlier in the day. Was so enthused I walked right by it and needed to walk back 5 blocks in the Massive Mid-Town Christmas Crowd. I get to H&M at 8:50pm, it closes at 9:00pm I cant get it to zip, so don’t buy it. Then I realize I’m on vacation and need to breath, so I head to the Deli for Salami Sandwiches and Grape soda. One of my favorite Vay-Cay treats!
Saturday I head Downtown. I typically get dropped off at Astor and work my way down to Canal. But this time I start at Spring, went down a bit then back up towards Astor. Here at 3:45pm, I spot a perfect bomber in the window of French Connection (FCUK). The entrance sign says big sale, so I’m hoping it’s on sale and it is! Regularly over $158, marked down to $109, and just for today there was an extra discount, so I got my already very nice bomber jacket that fit perfectly for a mere $65. ($65 plus $80 plus $12=$157) Plus major obsession over this project. That gives me both a thrill because it’s quite fun to do a project like this. But at the same time, I’m supposed to be relaxing, recharging and chilling in NY.
While walking in Downtown on Broadway, I check out Atrium and Kith. At Kith, I find the real Stampd Jacket in my size. I try it on and it is really nice. Feels comfortable inside and is worth the $300. Tempted to buy it, but I don’t vibe well with the workers at Kith. And if I’m not having fun shopping, no matter what it is, I won’t buy it. And I wasn’t having fun at Kith, plus I was on a mission to make my own. Here’s a picture of the Stampd jacket IRL:
Saturday night I don’t need to make the jacket because I can’t wear it on Sunday since I go out with friends and it was too cold for the bomber.
Sunday Night 1:00am – 2:30 am. I make the custom jacket. I put the orange ribbon around the sleeve instead of the dark blue, use big silver safety pins to affix it. Then I bust out the glue that sews to put on the patches (It works really well). I notice one patch is a skull, so I add in the skull ribbon on the top and use the last of the safety pins to affix it.
Let dry over night and head to breakfast at the Roosevelt Hotel and over to Dover Street market on Monday in my new custom jacket.
Cool thing I notice at DSM. In the Patricia Field section they have some pretty pricey yet very nice custom jackets that used spray paint, patches and get this…safety pins to affix some of the acruements. I’m right on trend.
Here’s a quick sampling of quotes about my jacket that I was able to wear 2x in NY and 3x in Chicago.
I like your jacket. Quote from Employee number 1 at DSMNY
I Love your jacket. Quote from Employee number 2 at DSMNY
Where did you get your jacket? Quote from co-shopper at Around the World Magazines at 148 W. 37th St. Between Broadway and 7th Ave. NY.
Dope jacket, you can Kiki here all day long. Quote from employee at Patricia Field’s at 360 Bowery. NY.
Look it’s Adam Ant, check out his coat. Quote from G-Spot when I DJ’d in Evanston, Illinois.
All in All, I would say it was a fun project to do. I think I just got a bit too obsessed with it. Like who would go all the way to New York from Hawaii to spend many hours making a jacket? Ahhh…Me. Hehehe. I was in NY to de-stress, not add any. But, I think having this project to do led me to:
Having fun meeting new people at M&J Trimming and chatting about shared interests. I felt more at home than at home, like doing something like this wasn’t so wierd. Other people were doing things like this in NY and even bigger.
It led me to MOOD, the store from Project Runway, which I never would have seen if I didn’t do this project.
Now I have tons of dark navy strips to use, glue that sews, new super sharp scissors that cost less than $12, velcro, silver and gold safety pins for future projects and some pretty cool pictures of the process of making and wearing the jacket.
A fun time wearing the jacket and hearing all of the fun compliments. Most people don’t know it was homemade. When asked about it in Illinois, I mentioned it was Designer and no one blinked.
Sense of accomplishment and confidence to explore future projects.
A good time in the Big Apple.
I leave you today with this quote from the designer Juun. J about bomber jackets from Fashion for Men Winter 2015/Spring 2016. Did you notice Obsessed By? I just caught it and I’ve read this many times before saving it for this blog posting.
See you on the Streetz!
Go to Guide-Dover Street Market NYC
Continuing to create new episodes of content, Streetzblog is keeping in the tradition of multiples ala the Hawaii Designs and Makiki Heat Series. With the Go to Guides. These will be guides to various places throughout the world with ideas and suggestions on where to shop, eat and sleep. In that order.
We also think it would be cool if you could add in your own suggestions on the Go to Guides in the comment section. Either mention something that pertains to this area of town or give us a tip on the similar subject but in your part of the World. The more tips and suggestions the better experience it will be for the various Streetzblog visitors looking for places to see, shop, eat, play and sleep.
Today’s go to guide takes us to the #funandfabulous Dover Street Market NYC experience. As done by Scott at Streetzblog 2x. Once in 2014 and the other time in 2015, both in the month of December. BTW: Happy New Year! (1/1/16)
Streetzblog.com’s Go to Guide to Dover Street Market NYC
- Head Down 45th to Lexington, make a right, pass the Post Office. Go to Grand Central Station. Note: If your suitcase is too full of goodies from NY, stop by the Post Office on Lexington and send a large pre paid box back to your home. During the Holidays, You can even watch a bit of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer while you stand in line.
- Grand Central Station: I suggest going in to the marketplace. Here you can find the freshest Meats, Cheeses, Candies and a full-on Cornucopia of delicious delicacies. Great presents and you can take awesome photos of the freshest food around town.
Secret Time: Now this isn’t quite as fun as finding these places all over the city and going to the original venues. But if you are low on time or just like to get things done quickly. Go into Grand Central Station and you’ll find some of NY’s and the World’s best and most talked about institutions. These include the Shake Shack (Remember the Shake Shack in Central park in Sex in the City, we’ll this is is the place) The same burgers, French fries and frozen custard can be found here. Magnolia Bakery-Try the famous Red Velvet Cupcake or buy a box for the relatives you’re coming back to or going to visit, Cipriani Dolci, Diptyque, Frankie’s Dogs on the Go, Juniors Bakery (Like the cheese cake place with the long lines in Times Square, yep same place), Michael Jordan’s the Steak House NYC, the New York Transit Museum and Gallery, Oyster Bar and Restaurant-this is the place you see in all the TCM movie classics and yes! it is the oldest restaurant in all of Grand Central, Two Boots Pizzeria, Zaro’s Bakery-been around for over 75 years and still tasting as good if not better as day one!.
It took me 28 x going to NYC to find the secret to getting all you need in 1 place. And the place to go is Grand Central Station. I wouldn’t want you to miss out on seeing the town. But this is a super-duper secret if you are low on time or just want to see everything you imagine NY to be all in one simple destination.
- Step out of Grand Central Station and continue down Lexington. There’s a couple good deli’s to pick up some coffee-In NY I always order Deli Coffee extra Sweet and Light-it’s like drinking a donut with caffeine or get some fresh carrot juice along the way. And don’t worry you didn’t walk past DSM yet, its about a 15-20 minute walk to DSMNY.
- DSM: Be careful that you don’t miss DSM. You need to pay attention and turn right at 160 Lexington Ave. at 30th. Street. The area looks very residential. But yes, this is Dover Street Market. I suggest that you go to each floor and see what’s going on. Bring your camera to take pictures of the monthly art installations along with some of the best clothes you will ever see in one place. Note: Some things are a bit pricey so be prepared. The first year I bought the DSM x Converse black Hi-Tops and the 2nd year I nabbed a Patricia Field Black with white lettering Vogue in Japanese Snapback. I was very tempted to get the Commmes Des Garcons drop crotch shorts, but they were just a little too pricey for my budget on that day. Also while there, make sure you talk to the workers, they are usually very friendly and happy to help you find what you’re looking for. They are also dressed very hip and happening. Check out their looks for inspiration.
- Note: If you can’t make it to DSM in person they have a great Mail order shop entitled DSMNY E-Shop. It’s here you can purchase the limited edition items. I picked up a Jordan x DSM shirt and a sweet Commes Des Garcons x Supreme blue plaid workers jacket that I get lots of complements on. Yes, it was pricey, but very worth it!
- After shopping or Window Shopping at DSM. Go back the way you came a couple blocks and eat at Vezzo the thin crust pizza joint. It’s dark inside which always rates an A+ for me, the pizza is really good and they have a fantastic Arugula, slivered cheese, pear, and Gorgonzola salad to die for. And the serving is HUGE. Perfect after a long walk and many steps in DSM, I think there are 7 total floors at DSM and the best and most fun way to see it all is be the steps. (They do have an elevator so no need to panic).
- After you eat, you can head over to Korea town, or back track to 37th and head to Around the World magazines. That’s what I did the last time I was there. Around the World Magazines has some of if not the best Fashion magazines all in one spot. And in the back there are older editions of great titles for awesome prices along with additional fashion and graphic design oriented books. Around the World Magazines is located at 148 West 37th Just past Broadway.
- After the Magazine store, lunch and DSM my daily budget is pretty done. So I usually walk back to the Roosevelt Hotel on 45th and Madison. My favorite hotel in all of NYC. Say Hi to Alfredo if you go there. Tell him you heard about him from Scott from Hawaii on Streetzblog. I’m sure he’d be delighted to see you. If you do stay here, make sure you make it to breakfast on at least 1 of your days. They guys down there are super friendly, they have unlimited Starbucks coffee, fresh fruit, some of the best bacon in the world and it’s a pretty cool vibe with pictures of Teddy Roosevelt on the walls and great views of the streetz from the seats. The Roosevelt Hotel is located at 45th and Madison Ave. smack dab in the middle of Mid-Town.
Keeping Tabs on the Upcoming Zoolander 2 Movie
This new international trailer tells us a bit more about the highly anticipated release of Zoolander 2 or as Derek would probably call in 200lander.
- Derek and Hansel are holed up in some secluded area in the middle of nowhere fairly disheveled, looking a bit worse for wear.
- They come out of there funk/retirement to help some pop stars so that they don’t die with the Magnum look on their face.
- Penelope Cruz-Interpol agent Valentina used to be a swimsuit model.
- Mugatu’s pretty ripped with some mean tats, but it’s not really real.
- Mugatu still likes to throw Burning Hot Scalding Coffee or I guess I should say Latte into his assistant’s face.
- Mugatu’s assistant doesn’t look like he aged a day since 2001.
All of this sounds a bit silly, hopefully the movie is good. I’m thinking Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson and Will Ferrel will hold down the fort pretty well. And hopefully all of the outrageous cameos keep us entertained. And maybe we’ll see some nice kicks and clothes. Justin Bieber is already rockin’ some pretty nice Black kicks with White soles. Can’t quite catch the brand..Can you?
Zoolander2 Releases in the U.S on February 12, 2016, right before Valentines Day.