Category Archives: HOT TREND ALERT
The Vegan Sushi
This picture of Sushi may look like an Ahi Nigiri, but it’s not! It’s actually a tomato, along with sushi rice, a bit of seaweed and shoyu. Could of…and did FOOL ME. Wow! Looks just like Ahi!
I have yet to try it. But they say that the texture and flavor of the tomato are transformed through a special technique, providing a savory and meaty taste. Five natural ingredients are added to the tomato to give it the special look, feel and taste.
It’s a vegan Nigiri. It’s name is Ahimi, by Ocean Hugger Foods. Available now at Whole Foods. Next time I go to Whole Foods, I’ll give it a try and let you know how it tastes.
Have you tried it?
See you on the Streetz!
Top Hot Spots-NYC DEC 2017-Via Streetzblog
- Daniel Patrick: My favorite Hi-End Streetwear brand. Check them out near Alexander Wang at 96 Grand Just off-Broadway. Make sure to say Hi to Lauren and Noel. Pro-Tip: If you don’t see the color or style you want on the showroom floor, just ask, they should have it in the back or can order for you. See more about Daniel Patrick Soho here
- KITH: Took over my go to store Atrium a bit back. I was kinda’ upset about that, so didn’t go there for a while. But you gotta go to the KITH on Lafayette. They have very nice clothes and almost every shoe you could ever want. And it’s a great place to get some nice selfies with tons of white shoes on the walls and under the floor!
- Barney’s: Go in December when things are on sale. I always score something good. This year, bought a pair of Y-3 x Adidas Bounce Sole Kicks. Original Price: $390, On sale for Less than $150!! Hot brands in December 2017 include: Off White, Greg Lauren, Public School, Gucci, Grenson, Fear of God, Rick Owens and a newer fav of mine: Ben Taverniti Unravel Project.
- Canal Street: Its back to being out on the streetz. After 5 years of having to go underground or around the block. Dec 2017 found everything on the street. Amazing goods at great prices.
- Broadway Marketplace: Check out the OWMXN area-Super cool people, great prices. Mix of originals and hip, cool brands. People who work here are super nice and fun to hang out with, another place to name drop Streetzblog. They’ll hook you up for sure. You can also find them on-line at OWMXN.Com or @OWMXN. The marketplace is set to move soon. Right now its on Broadway near Spring and across from empty_Gallery.
- em_pty_gallery: This is the Off-White store in Manhattan. Usually a line outside. Some things are for sale inside some not. And not all sizes on the floor. And nope, you can’t just buy the sneakers. When I was there, you could purchase something from the new line-$1,200-$1,400 hoodies. Then your receipt goes in a drawing. But you need to be in town if you are the winner. Prize drawing was about 6 days from day I went. It’s a got to go to place. Just go, It’s kinda’ trippy, enjoy the experience and talk to or listen to the people in line. Prices like usual. Not for people looking for deals. Yet, clothing is still Pure Fire!
- Dover Street Market/DSM NY: Many of the best Hi-End designers all under one roof. This year the entire staff was very friendly and helpful. Hi to Jonah for helping me out with a gift and wrapping it up perfectly. Pro Tip: December is a great time for sales, some items up to 50% off. Ultra Pro Tip: If you see a T or piece on the rack & it’s not in your size, Just ask. Many more sizes are in the secret storage area. I’ve been going here since they opened. Very fun to wander the stairs or take the elevator to each and every floor. Wear your hottest gear here. The day I went, 75% had Virgil Abloh x The Ten collection, limited edition vans and Triple Sole Balenciaga’s. Major HEAT on the FEET! See more about DSM here
- Art at Canal: This is on Canal at Chinatown. Live DJ, Graffiti walls, and some Dope Clothes. Dec 2017, we find clothes designed by Tommy Hilfiger’s brother. Some nice Floral-Camo prints mixed on top of firemen jackets.
- AF-1 Design your Own Soho: Pick Low, Mid or High-Tops, then color, add laces, spray paint,stencil etc. Everything is provided. Customs made in minutes. Very fun!
- Adidas Mid-Town: Most everything you want all in stock. Just no Yeezy’s. Everything else is there. But grab fast, the NERD and other quick-strike gear goes very fast. Pro Tip: Many things that are sold out on-line are available in this store. You just need to look around and stay for a while. Things drop randomly every couple of hours or so. Fun to be there when it happens.
- Around the World Magazines: The best Magazine Store in Town! This year, they have many mags on sale for just $5 including back issues of Chic Men & In Trend. Even if they are a couple of years old, still lots of inspiration to be found. You can also get the latest issues of System, HighSnobiety, European GQ & HypeBeast all in Mag form.
- Madison Square Garden: Whether it’s the Knicks or Rangers. Check a game out. The arena is fun! Music, Light shows, T-Shirt cannons that blow big blasts of white smoke. They even have Lobster Rolls, exotic cheeseburgers, great shopping and lots of drinks. And you are guaranteed to see a celebrity or two. The night I saw the Rangers play, the Bella & Gigi Hadid were both there, center ice chatting, cheering and taking selfies.
- Modell’s: About a block from MSG. Get your gear here. This years they have 2 for $20 Knicks T’s. Some great Winter Classic Rangers with awesome prices and Lebron Soldiers in more colors than I’ve ever seen in one place. Nice price too! $129 for a pair.
- Bryant Park: One of the best places to people watch in all of NY City. Punk, Chic, Business, Tourist, Local, Trendy, Norm-Core, High Fashion, Models, Celebs, Family, Singles, Flourescent, Fake Fur, Real Fur, Dogs, Cats, Birds, Coney Island, Brooklyn, Manhattan & more. Eat, Shop, Skate, Take Pix, Sit, Walk, Mingle, Drink, and Ride the Carousel.
Nike AF1 Soho, Art at Canal, & Dover Street Market.
Foot Locker Times Square, Adidas Store Mid-Town, em_pty_gallery Soho, The Uptown Punk 8618′ Streetzblog pants.
Barney’s, Selfies, Some of my Own Sewn Clothes.
Bryant Park, Fashion Ave, & Madison Square Garden
Places w/ Biggest lines out the door:
- Pink in Soho
- Canada Goose
- Bathing Ape Soho
PSNY x Alpha Industries Olive Green Bomber
Checking Today’s PSNY IG, I came across these pix. It’s another PSNY x Alpha Industries Olive Green Bomber Drop. This time, it comes with a nice WNL (We Need Leaders) patch on the front. The pictures mention that it was released at a Party this past Tuesday (10/24/17). Looks like attendees were treated to some delicious PSNY x MOET & CHANDON champagne.
I checked the PSNY website and so far, I see the first PSNY Olive Bomber, but not the new version. Hmmm. Maybe Sunday or Monday it will hit the site. I did hear it may also be at Saks and/or Bloomingdale’s. I like this new version better with the WNL circular patch. What do you think of it?
Here’s a picture of my unfinished Holiday 2017 Bomber. See you in NYC and Chicago in December! Cheers, Aloha and See You On The Streetz! SM@SB
I’ll have the finished version ready by late November 2017 and will post it here or on the Streetzblog Facebook page. BTW: The bomber in black, dark blue or green is on trend again this year and for a bit of a change of pace, check out some of the plaid wool bombers hitting the stores this month and next. Plaid Bombers & Bold Plaid pants are in for Winter 2017 and Spring 2018.
Connected Samsung Surfboard
3-D Printable Fins
Surf Pool with Rad Waves
Two big weekends of Coachella 2016 have come and gone. It’s the start of the U.S.A’s Festival season and it also kicks off the Summers clothing trends. Past years have brought us lots of Flower Power, Faded Short Denim Shorts, Crocheted Everything, and 1970’s Rock Band Shirts.
2016 brought us many pairs of various Sunglasses, most of which were worn at Night during the EDM shows. The pairs I noticed the most were Aviators with mirrored lenses in various shades of Bright Aqua, Electric Orange, Rushing Red, Vibrant Green and Sun Streaked Yellow. Mostly worn by hip, young good-looking males and females in the front rows.
*My friend, Kevin K thinks that they were given away FREE as a guerilla marketing technique. If so, they were very successful and most likely Ray-Bans. If not, it was just the thing to do…Wear your Sunglasses at Night. Most likely a mixture of the 2, because there sure were a lot of Sunglasses worn Night and Day at Coachella 2016!
According to Polyvore the most popular fashion festival trends in 2016 are Sunglasses and Boots. Listed below are the top 10 of each:
Top 10 Sunglasses
- Mirrored Sunglasses
- Cat-Eye Sunglasses
- Aviator Sunglasses
- Rose Gold
- Metal Framed
- Half-Frame (Not quite familiar with this one)
- Round Metal
- Black Square
- Star Shaped
*The Colored Mirrored Aviators are what I noticed as the number 1 trend for Summer 2016.
Top 10 Boots
- Combat Boots (So last year or 1982)
- Rain Boots
- Suede Over the Knee Boots (Don’t even own a pair of these..LOL)
- Cowboy (Saw these in the office for the 1st time in 22 years)
- Flat Ankle
- Cut-Out Ankle Boots
- Pointy-Toe Ankle
- Peep-Toe Ankle
- Hidden Wedge
*I know number one is combat boots and Docs, but I would have put them in separate categories. Going with Combat Boots at number 1 and Doc Martins at number 2.
Highlights and from Coachella 2016 Included:
Grimes: I’ve never seen her perform before and truly enjoyed the energy, in the moment mixing, the dancing, crazy beats and what I’d call her totally own style of a music genre. Great Show!
Zedd on Saturday and Calvin Harris on Sunday with LIVE performances by the actual singers of the tunes during their DJ sets. The lights and pyro of both shows were also awesome and the homage to Daft Punk was excellent. If you’ve ever seen the Daft Punk Documentary, they show how Daft Punk paved the way to the super-star millionaire DJ of today. And the break thru moment happened when they played Coachella.
Loved it how they both played Daft Punk’s One More Time. BTW: In 2000, I had a Music TV show called XLR8TV with my Friend Don F and on our last show we played One More Time, One More Time, Then again One More Time, while I introduced it again and again without laughing..for the full half hour of the show. Was so, totally awesome!
Overall, Coachella was quite good this year; YouTube and T-Mobile did a nice job streaming it live the first weekend. It was very clear on my iPhone, a little glitchy on my MacBook Pro, but overall the best I’ve seen over the years.
The only sucky part was the G&R Reunion. Axl looked really funny on his throne and as far as I could tell they played only 3 songs on YouTube, then 1 song on someones Periscope/Twitter feed for a total of 4 songs. That doesn’t seem quite worth the millions of dollars they paid the band. But, I will say they did sound good. Clear, concise and seemed to be quite professional about the whole gig.
*All pictures taken with my iPhone 5s via the live streaming Video.
See you on the Streetz! This weekend at Sustainable Coastlines Clean-Up, May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii, My B-Day, The Basketball Court and hopefully Yoga and the Beach.
Here’s Corey Hart’s: Sunglasses at Night Video. Yep, I couldn’t resist it. Enjoy!
Dior Homme Run/Fall 2016
Fall 2016 brings us lots of strapped and black trousers. Some baggy, some tailored straight. This pair is tapered, tailored straight. The strapping is super-cool and very intricate. I would buy a pair right now if I could. Although, It’s toward the end of January 2015 at the moment, Fall 2016 seems like a long time to wait for a pair of pants. Sounds like it’s time for another DIY project.
The Plan of Attack for my DIY Trouser Project
Now that I’m home in HI, I’m thinking I’ll use Silver and Gold safety pins, the straps I have left over from NY and I suspect I’ll do a bit of hand sewing on them. Once they’re finished, I’ll post 1-2 pairs on this blog. If anyone knows where I can get some flo-orange straps, LMK. I think they would look dope on top some black suit pants. See you on the Streetz! This week it’s the amazing NFL Pro Bowl Beach Party and of course the game. If You’re in town, it’s time to get out your (In this order) Best kicks, suntan lotion, 3/4 length shorts and your favorite teams jersey. Feel free to email, text or stop by any of the festivities Friday thru Sunday and say Aloha.
*I also like this model’s shoes, but I doubt I will attempt to make a pair of them. Looks like Fall 2016 will be a great year for real sturdy, stylish shoes and boots.
Stampd Strapped Bomber Jackets
If you can’t wait for the strapped pants, check out these nice strapped bombers by Stampd.
HOT x 3 at Dsquared2’s Runway Show
Lately, my favorite designers are PSNY, Stampd and Chapter. All 3 utilize my favorite colors black and grey and have distinguished Street x Tailored looks.
Today (January 21, 2016) I found these pictures from the Dsquared2 Milan Fall 2016 Runway Show. They take the Street x Tailored trend up a couple notches.
The look on the left utilizes the hip and happening shorts on top leggings and takes the pants to the next level with crisp, cool slacks with crazy stitching, the shorts seem to be made of a really nice fabric, and all goes well with the over-sized double jacket set and the sexy combat boots complete the multi textured combination…all black on black on black on black. Wowza!
The Middle attire adds in some punk aspects with the tartan plaid. Then totally changes the game with a bomber jacket sleeve mixed with a suit jacket body. If I were to add color to my preferences, it would be with plaids, especially this one! Interesting bottoms, with a spice of 90’s shirt wrapped around the waist complete the Street x Tailored styling. I’d wear the jacket for sure.
And on the far right, we see a similar jacket, using the bomber sleeve with a cropped black suit jacket. Not too keen on the colored vest, shirt and tie. But this jacket rocks!
Sometimes, Dsquared2 becomes a little difficult to find the exact runway pieces in-store. If I found it, I’d rock the shorts and pants on the left with the jacket in the middle.
Nice job Dsquared2!!
3 Great Looks from the Dsquared2 Milan Fall 2016 Runway Show
Highly Caffeinated Soda Moving Quickly up the Speed Ladder
I highly doubt anyone will ever beat Red Bull as the Go to default for an Energy Drink. Many have tried, many have tasted better, were packaged better. But, one of the biggest marketing laws ever is “First In” will win continuously or at least for a very long time and Red Bull was First in on the Energy Drink Category. And, Look how long Coca Cola or Coke has lasted in the soda category? Yet, Club-Mate, a highly caffeinated soda from Germany is buzzing in all the right places to make it pretty massive fairly soon.
Berlin computer programmers were amongst the first early adopters in the early Aughts, next it hit the German Rave scene where expectedly it was mixed with Alcohol. Today (August 17, 2015) it’s stocked and ready for action at some of the most famous Hi-Tech companies including: Facebook, Kickstarter, and Gawker.
As it moves along the tech-track, it’s also highly visible where trends kick into gear fairly quickly including bodega’s in the Hipster areas of Brooklyn and the Lower East Side of NYC.
One more plus to the Club-Mate story is it’s made from Yerba-Matte. From my visits to healthy places like Whole Foods and Down to Earth in HI, I’ve been noticing a VERY high increase in the purchases of drinks containing this ingredient. I tried to switch from coffee to Yerbe-Matte about 5 years ago, but it was just a bit to jittery for me. But, the 18-28 year old crowd at the Health Food stores are buying this stuff up like crazy. In an informal survey, I’d say it’s the 22 year old female that likes this caffeinated treat the best. Thus, Club-Mate, just might be the real Next Big Thing! To see more about CB click http://www.clubmate.de/about-club-mate.html
A little side story, When I was in Berlin in 1996, I drank Red Bull every day. This special Berlin Concoction of the brand name was so potent (At the time 3x more caffeine than the American version eventually contained), I could only drink half a can in 3 hours. I’m 1 of those people that loves to track trends and look for the NBT, I figured this was it and I was finally going to be a millionaire. I brought back 4 cans of the coveted Red Bull, had a few friends over and gave them a couple. They loved the buzz, but didn’t quite like the taste all that much. I still thought it was my ticket to the Big $$’s. But as what used to happen to me, Life Happened and I went to work as I was supposed to and let my RB dream go on the wayside. It was about 2, maybe 3 years before it went big in the states.
Maybe, it’s time to get some of this Club-Mate out to Hawaii and make those Mills? Whatcha’ Think? Anyone tasted it? Seen it in their local little store or bodega? We call them little stores in Hawaii. I’ve yet to taste a Club-Mate, but if it comes from Berlin, where I tasted my first Red Bull, this should be pretty Big. LMK if you see it or taste it and what you think of it? Maybe we can all make some Money! See you on the Streetz. This Week, I’ll be checking out Straight Outta’ Compton, a couple local concerts and maybe, hopefully, finally making it to the beach before the Summer is over. Have a nice week!
Would you Wear this to the Beach?
This Suit is a Wetsuit, it’s real, not a stunt. Quicksilver and Japanese Advertising agency TBWA/HAKUHODO have combined forces to create The True Wetsuit which looks just like a Business Suit.
The jacket and pants are made from two-millimeter high-stretch neoprene, the shirt is created with a Quicksilver and 3M Dryflight fabric, and the whole set up also comes with a tie. Which of course, you don’t need to wear, I doubt the tie would even be safe out in the waves of Hawaii.
We used to have some pretty fun Board meetings in Hawaii’s waves. Now, you can have the meeting and report to your office fully dressed ready to roll. Not too many people wear business suits to work in Hawaii, so I guess we should wait for the Neoprene dress slacks with the 3M Dryflight Aloha Shirt.
Still pretty cool that these Wetsuits aren’t just a publicity stunt, but they actually are functional. Me, personally, I’m still trying to figure out where to put my car key when I go surfing. I didn’t see where the man in the video put his car key. But with most keys being electronic nowadays, I find it hard to take it surfing even with a triple sealed protective covering. Someone please help!
The True Wetsuit is available in black and a pretty bright looking blue, it also comes in a tuxedo version-maybe that would be a fun outfit to get married in, then head out to catch some waves. The suits start at a pretty pricey $2,500. Surf over to TrueWetsuits.jp to purchase yours or find more information. The video below is pretty stylish, the man surfs the waves and the web at the same time with his magical pen. His suit is also amazingly tailored with just enough dress shirt cuff showing! Watch it below, it’s a fun video:
See you on the Streetz and maybe out in the Surf!
The Health Goth Craze
The Streetzblog definition of Health-Goth is: Awesome High-Tech, functional and fun fabrics that look just as good on the street as they do in the gym. Utilizing these 4 colors: Black, Grey, Silver and White. The Perfect example of Health-Goth is the Alexander Wang x H&M collection.
Rick Owens produces some great Health-Goth gear. He’s known for his oversized black and white Ramone’s Sneaker that shows homage to the Original Black and white Converse All-Stars:
Hood By Air/HBA is another brand leading the Health-Goth Look:
ADYN exemplifies the Health-Goth look with slightly longer cuts in the length of a Health-Goth shirt, High-Tech materials and the all black look:
Even Adidas is in on the Health-Goth Trend with Rita Ora: (Note: This collection added in a bit of Neon Yellow to the Health-Goth color palette. That’s ok, as long as it’s not the main color of the collection. A bit of Neon yellow or Flo Green goes well with the more sporty Health-Goth.
Whatever 21 shows us the Health-Goth look while hanging out at Home Depot. Notice, they go for more of a White color first, then the black in this collection. Different from the original Black clothing as the more dominate color. Enjoy the video:
Cottweiller has some nice grey’s mixed with whites, along with some pretty fab fabrics: Check out their website, it sure has a very futuristic vibe to it. Almost like playing a video game when checking out the various looks.
Some of the original Health-Goth proponents are already saying the trend is dead. But as you can see by the following excerpt from New York magazine. The Health-Goth craze is still trending in the City and at the Gym.
For the Instagram Celebrity: KITH 644 Broadway Near Bleeker St. 646-6486285 Brooklyn-based Snarkeitectue helped redesign Ronnie Fieg’s luxury-sneaker shop last Fall. Making Room for more paparazzi friendly neoprene Y-3’s and pebbled leather Buscemi high-tops ($865) not to mention branded KITH hoodies and Health-Goth sweatpants. Direct Quote From the March 9-22, 2015 issue of New York Magazine.
And for the Future is Now image of Health-Goth, I bring you an image from Today’s/Saturday March 27, 2015 Instagram feed. Alexander Wang’s Foam Injected leather T-Shirt from the Men’s Spring 2015 collection.
See you on the Streetz, Actually, Now I’m headed over to the gym to get my Health-Goth groove on. Going to wear my Black Quicksilver Eddie Would Go surf shorts, a plain all black H&M long sleeve T-Shirt and my Alexander Wang x H&M Scuba inspired Kicks. I hope to get more healthy than goth today. We shall see by where I turn up after the gym. Have a nice week!