Category Archives: Art
Dye a Day and Another Day
This project is like no other. 27 hours straight with maybe 2 hours of sleep. Brought us 3 pairs of Distressed + Tie Dyed with Bleach Jeans And almost 1 RIT Dyed Army Jacket. As usual the YouTube Videos are helpful but it always takes a lot longer to do what they do in 12 minutes. This time 12 minutes turned into 27 hours. Yes, it is fun, Yes, I am happy with the finished product. Glad I had a day off and budgeted the time involved to produce the end result. While it’s all fresh in my mind here are some tips if you attempt a project like this.
Distress and Tie Dye Jeans Tips
- Budget plenty of time for this project
- Use Rubber Bands or Rubbery hair ties. String doesn’t work well
- You can distress before or after the dye. Really doesn’t matter. I distressed 2 pairs with an Exacto Knife. The easiest way to distress jeans is to cut slits with an exacto knife. Just remember to put a magazine in between the 2 layers. Make slices, then wash in Cold and dry on Medium and you are good to go.
- Get food and Drinks ahead of time. It’s hard to make food or mix drinks with all the toxic chemicals and gloves to take on and off
- Buy 2 pairs of Gloves. One of my gloves burnt off my hand. Pay a little extra for the $5 brand instead of the $2 pair. It’s worth it.
- Get a mask to breathe through while taking the rubber bands off. The Bleach is pretty intense. Many YouTube videos don’t mention this. I recommend it as something mandatory. My skin and brain is still tingling a bit. Hour 29.
- Tie Dye Jeans. The Army Jacket did not take the bleach. Nothing happened. So I put in inRit Dye. The Rit Dye didn’t work either, it just kinda morphed the camo print. must be the synthetic fabric. Most likely the Polyester in the jacket. Well, 3 out of 4 came out Great!
- Have Fun! If you’re not having fun doing this type of gig, don’t bother. I enjoy things like this. If you don’t enjoy the process the time involved isn’t worth it. But the end product is pretty Sweet! *And if you want, email me your waist size and i can make you a pair. Just some costs + shipping. Should be like $75 + $25= $100
- Play some good music. I listened to the BBC Live for 2 days. Heard everything from Heavy English Hip-Hop to underground Dancehall, to some Annie Mac classics, to a pretty Dope Diplo Mix
- Don’t spend too much time rubber banding. One pair took me 3 hours to rubber band another about 30 minutes and they both came out Rad. Although, the more time you spend rubber banding the more intricate the patterns will be!
Here’s some pictures of the process:
And the Final Products:
The Bones Brigade Pant F/W 2019-20 Sniper Wells design for the Street Meat Market 2 different pairs of size 32 Waist. Both Distressed and Tie Dye with Bleach. Both are for sale and ready to ship in time for the 2019 Holidays. E-mail email@example.com if interested
The Layed Back Hack Pant F/W 2019-20 Gold and Dark Blue. Designed by Sniper Wells for the Street Meat Market. Size 34 Waist.
List of Ingredients for a Tie Dye Jean Day
- Rubber Gloves-2-3 just in case straight bleach hits them. Some disintegrate. I used Glam Gloves, paid a bit extra, but they still burnt through. Thus, the need for 2-3 pairs
- Bleach-Get the Linen infused scent
- Gas mask of some sort-Even just the paper version from the Doctors office
- Sharp Scissors-Get some good ones, its worth it when cutting off the rubber bands. I’d recommend the kind used for sewing. The Sharper the better. Also thin sharp scissor tips works well to get the rubber bands off easily
- Rubber bands of various shapes and sizes + Rubber Hair Ties
- 2 Big plastic Buckets I got 2 at Walmart for a great price
- Cold Water to rinse. And rinse them really well. Then wait a bit before washing in cold water in the washing machine
- Jeans-The Dark version came out a nice shade of Green and Blue. The lighter pairs came out White and Blue. I’ve been scouring the Sale racks at Macy’s for 2 months. Got 2 pairs for a really good deal. The other during the One Day sale. I have 1 pair to wear and 2 x size 32 waist to sell if you want a pair. Just LMK
- Food and Drinks-Already prepared and ready. You don’t want to mess with food and the chemicals in the Bleach
- Music-Helps set the tone of the event
- A phone and a camera-It’s hard to just use your phone to do everything. Thus the Camera. But be careful you don’t want to get bleach on it. Maybe get a friend to document the process for you. That would work. I played music with my phone and used the camera and sometimes the phone for the photos
Here is the Gold and Blue pair shot in Waikiki IRL 11/29/19
See you on the Streetz..blog
The Top 28 Fashionable Movies of all Time
(As Voted on by the Streetzblog Staff in May 2020)
With Many of you at home looking for something to watch. We’ve compiled the best Fashionable movies of all time. Have a nice time watching all of this Greatness.
1. The Devil Wears Prada: (2006): This movie has it all. Lots of NYC action, Fashionable attire, A Love Story, Paris, Anne Hathaway, Meryl Streep and a variable Vrais/faux rendition of Anna Wintour. At least 1 Million dollars worth of clothes and accessories were used in the making of TDWP including a $100,000 Fred Leighton necklace worn by Streep. Watch for the CERULEAN (Blue) speech, it gives an entrepreneur an quick 4 minute MBA in the Marketing of clothing. The cast is power packed with: Emily Blunt, Stanley Tucci, Simon Baker, Adrian Grenier, Gisele Bundchen, and Heidi Klum. And fun fact: The writer of the book-Lauren Weisberger plays the twins Nanny! The staff at Streetzblog has seen this movie at least 14x. It is by far the number ONE best overall fashionable movies of all time
2. Zoolander: (2001) Fun, Outlandish, Fashionable, Can you say Cameos and Orange Mocha Frappucicnos! Such a good movie about the world of male modeling. Stiller vs Wilson. Who is gonna come out the winner? Not enough room to mention all the stars, some include: Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Christine Taylor, Will Ferrell, Milla Jovovich, Tom Ford, Fabio, Winona Ryder, Lenny Kravitz, David Bowie, Paris Hilton, Cuba Gooding Jr, Karl Lagerfeld, Natalie Portman, Justin Theroux, Gwen Stefani, Vince Vaughn, and Donald Trump. Fashionably BIG Quotes: Derek Zoolander: I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more to life than being REALLY, REALLY, RIDICULOUSLY good looking…And I plan on finding out what that is. Billy Zane: IT’S A WALK-OFF!! (Drop that mic!)
3. Blow Up: (1966) Fashion Photography, HOT Models, London, The Swinging 60s, Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll from start to finish. Not much is missed in this movie. Bold Stripes, Slinky shiny dresses, Mods, Rockers, Glamour, Day-Glow colors. It has it all including some trippy mimes who play tennis without a real ball and a cameo appearance and song by the Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Keith Reif. A Great movie to watch for inspiration for photography and creativity. If you want some inspiration for the swinging 60’s, this is a must see movie
4. Coco Before Chanel: (2009): One of our favorite Actors-Audrey Tatou portrays the iconic beyond belief classy-Coco Chanel. This is the history and story of Coco Chanel! Fashion Passes. Style Remains *Pro Tip: If you are having a rough day, watch any or all of Audrey Tatou’s movies, they are going to make you happy. Most of her best movies are in French with English subtitles. Well worth the reading of subtitles and can help you learn French/Francais
5. The September Issue (2009): Anna Wintour takes you on a behind the scenes adventure as she prepares for Vogue’s Fall Fashion Issue for 2007
6. We’ll take Manhattan (2012): One week of the life of Jean Shrimpton (Model) and David Bailey (Photographer). The Swinging 60’s are in full effect in NYC!
7. Unzipped (1994): The Behind the scenes world and process of Izaac Mizrahi. Some nice tips on creating a collection. A must see for any budding fashion designer. Features the biggest Super Models of all time: Linda Evangilista, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell and Cindy Crawford
8. American Gigolo (1980) Richard Gere wears the most spectacular monotone suit, shirt and tie never seen before on film. Every guy in the 80’s tried to dress like him. It basically made Giorgio Armani a household name in the 80’s. We all wanted an Armani suit to look like Richard Gere. Monotone throughout. A look still happening in the year 2021. Russet Brown, to Taupe, Sage Green, Charcoal and Cornflower Blue. The suit, the shirt the tie and many times the socks all matched in one shade of said colors. this is the movie that spurred the monotone craze that has yet to stop. If you can’t think of what to wear, go Monotone and it will take care of itself. GQ and American Gigolo go hand in hand in the early 80’s. The Male Fashionista was never the same. The clothes made the man and the movie
9. Mademoiselle C (2013): A gem in the rough. High Quality, exquisite videography. The story of former Vogue Paris Editor in Chief-Carine Roitfied as she moves to New York to launch her high end magazine. Many, many fashionista’s. Tom Ford, Kate Upton, Karl Lagerfield, Kanye West, James Franco, Riccardo Tischi, Anna Wintour, Sophia Loren, Giorgio Armani, Sarah Jessica Parker, Liv Tyler, Beyonce, Heidi Klum, Bruce Weber and even more than what we listed
10. Breathless (1960) Jean Luc Goddard. Peg legged black pants with hi-collared with cuff sleeves New York Herald Tribune T. Could be in fashion in Dec 2019. Men’s 2 button suit jacket with wide super short tie could also see a comeback. Sunglasses, Hats, striped shirts, pleated skirt, short hair, so many things to list. Check out the main characters chain link bracelet, very a la mode right now at Louis Vuitton and Gucci. Even the ultra petite women’s bag is on trend in 2020. The movie helped to launch the French New Wave cinema. It did the same with style + clothes
11. Saturday Night Fever (1997) The 70’s, Disco Fever and John Travolta’s 3 piece White Suit. No other words are needed
12. Liquid Sky: (1982) Can you say 1980’s Nu-Wave Make-up. Deep in the underground came the movie Liquid Sky. Seen by many a punk rocker and New Waver as influence for their make up style throughout the 1980’s. Liquid Sky sports Big hair and nice bites of colorful clothing that infused, enthused + ensconced the 80’s vibe throughout the world. Neon Lights, Neon Make-up and multi-colored hair. Looking for Nu Wave Inspo for your 80’s make-up or fashions, watch this movie!
13. Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961) Audrey Hepburn looks Elegant, Classic, Crisp, Clean, and Extremely well put together. The movie features the definitive moment of the iconic Maison Givenchy-Black Sheath Dress. She also has some great oversized Tortoiseshell sunglasses, and strands upon strands of Tiffany Pearls along with her long black satin gloves. Such an amazing, classic look copied for many, many years. And we can’t leave without mention of the double breasted bright ORANGE Givenchy wool Coat. As you know, we love the color Orange here at Streetzblog. Veracious Quotes: Holly Golightly: A girl can’t read that sort of thing without her lipstick. And I’ve got to do something about the way I look. I mean, a girl can’t go to Sing Sing with a Green face
14. Pretty Woman (1990) Chanel, Louis, Gucci. If it’s a Hi-end brand Julia Roberts gets to shop there. Richard Gere takes the monotone look into the 90’s with some variations, adding different shades of grey and even a printed tie. And if you want that Black Suit, White Shirt, Black Tie, White Pocket square look, it’s best seen on Richard in Pretty Woman. Edward Lewis: Wake up! It’s time to Shop!!
15. Mahogany (1975) Diana Ross is an aspiring fashion designer from the South Side of Chicago. So this is for sure a real deal fashion movie. 70’s exuberance, Beaucoup bell bottoms, Knee high boots, Dark washed jeans, Wide-brimmed hats, and Jersey dresses. And a bit over the top which we thought pretty dope, the Purple Lame, Metallic Embroidery and the Glow in the Dark Geisha’s. Wowza! Song: Do you know where you’re going to? Quote: Rome is like a rich old lady. She covers her wrinkles with things that shine
16. Pret a Porter (1994) Silly and Fun satire on the fashion world. Growing up we could never figure out if this movie was real or fake. Still confuses us..a bit to this day. Pretty sure it is fake..LOL Stars include: Kim Basinger, Julia Roberts, Forest Whitaker, Tim Robbins, Sophia Loren, Danny Aiello and many others. Note: You may find this movie under the name Ready to Wear, seems over the years they switched the marketing of said movie to an English title
17. Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009) Talk about Shop til’ you Drop, OMG this girl can shop! The Nurmero Uno curator of the fashionable clothes in movies-Patricia Field says of the clothes: They are Colorful, Bold, Energetic, Voluminous, Eclectic, and comedic. Prominent Brands include: Vivienne Westwood, Prada, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, and Milly. Lots of pink, many colorful dresses and don’t forget the infamous Green scarf! Rebecca Bloomwood: When I shop, the world gets better, and the world is better, but then it’s not, and I need to do it again. And one of the best lines of all time: You Speak Prada? Did you know that the proper definition of a shopaholic is ONIOMANIA a term used for the compulsive desire to shop. We know someone at Streetzblog who’s got that Oniomania. Do you know anyone?
18. Zoolander 2 (2016) Not nearly as good as the OG. But fun to see many cameos including: Marc Jacobs, Alexander Wang, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Valentino, and Vera Wang
19. Ciao Manhattan (1972) If you want to see the Real Edie Sedgwick and not a movie about her, this is movie to watch
20. Desperately Seeking Susan (1985) We include this movie not because it’s about fashion, cause its not, but because it depicts 80’s Madonna inspired fashion spot on. It’s like being transported to the Unique Boutique, Antique Boutique, or Canal Jean Company in downtown Soho, Manhattan in 1986. Madonna and Rosanna Arquette. Get Into the Groove with oversized Ray-bans, layers of chains and necklaces, oversized scrunchies and the Epochal multiple black rubber bracelets Madonna is famed for wearing. Giving every 13 year old for 30 years something to buy at Claire’s. The Club scene (at Danceteria) also depicts the vibe of the time, the clothing and the dance moves. Madonna’s style on the Big screen. Fun Facts: The Vintage clothes store they visit was called Loves Saves the Day and was located in the East Village until 2009. The Orange baseball jersey Susan wears after her clothes are stolen has the initials MC. Madonna Ciccone. The super famous embellished cropped tux jacket from the movie sold at auction for $265,000
21. Factory Girl (2006) Hollywood’s portrayal of the next IT girl, Edie Sedgwick. Comes complete with a spot on Andy Warhol. See Sienna Miller as Edie, Guy Pierce as Andy, Jimmy Fallon as Chuck, Includes tunes by David Bowie. Fun Fact: Sienna’s eyes are grey but they are brown in the movie because Edie’s eyes were brown. Quote: Andy to Edie: You’re the Boss, Applesauce!
22. GIA (1998) This is a pretty harsh movie, so be prepared. Drugs, the early days of Aids, and one of the first super models. Starring: Angelina Jolie, Mila Kunis and Faye Dunaway
23. Sex and the City (2008) The TV show shook the world with Many a good looking outfit, So many shoes and non stop bags + purses. The movie continued with the theme with Carrie’s Ballerina Skirt, Samantha’s Suits and Fun Floppy Hat, Carrie’s stylish Head-wear, More hand bags, faux fur, and of course many, many Manolo’s. Quotes: Louise: It’s a Rental. Like Netflix for Purses. Carrie: Some labels are best left in the Closet!
24. Quadrophenia (1979) The Sharp dressed Mods-Skinny Suits way before their Massive popular explosion, Skinny Ties, Buttoned up Polo Shirts, Stylish Trench Coats, Mod parkas and Extremely Tricked out Multi-Mirrored Vespas. VS the Rockers clad in black leather Motorcycle jackets adorned with spikes, patches and paint. Jeans or leather trousers and white silk scarves. Head gear was also black leather with studs and spikes. Don’t miss the best dressed of the bunch, the leader of the Mods-Ace Face (Sting). Great soundtrack provided by the Who. Reign O’er Me + Doctor Jimmy and Mr. Jim. Fun Fact: The pinball machine that Jimmy plays on is the exact same machine that Elton John jams on in the movie, Tommy
25. Clueless (1995) 63 Outfit changes make up the looks of the 3 affluent High School Mall rats. Including 53 different kinds of tartans and plaids. Mid 90s Beverley Hills preppy. Mini skirts, knee high socks, and platform Mary Janes. Faux fur handbags, Feather trimmed coats and fun colorful hats complete the looks. The lingo in the movie also changed the way many of us talked for years to come. Couple of fashionable quotes from the movie. Cher: You see how picky I am about my shoes and they only go on my Feet and Mel: Do you know what time it is? Cher: A watch doesn’t really go with this outfit, Daddy. Stars: Alicia Silverstone, Stacey Dash and Brittany Murphy
26. John Wick 1, 2 + 3 (2014) (2017) (2019) We include the John Wick movies because the suits in the movie are just so utterly completely beautiful! The Cuts and Colors of the suits make this movie series with Keanu Reaves very fashionable. Various shades of black with some Midnight Blue. Richard Gere Would be quite proud. Killer Quotes: You want a war? Or you want to just give me a gun? Well John wasn’t exactly the Boogeyman. He was the one you sent to kill the Boogeyman
27. Qui Etes Vous Polly Maggoo (1966) A movie that is a bit odd. Yet fascinating. If you want #retrochic, Here it is
28. The Model (2016) Kinda’ creepy movie about a model. honorable mention
SOUL TRAIN wasn’t a movie, but you gotta dig the far out fashions. There’s also some Saturday Night Fever Dance segments in this Video. Enjoy!
What movie is your favorite? What movie would you add to the list? Let us know in the comments section.
See you on the Streetz…blog!
Complex Con-November 4 & 5, 2017
Long Beach, CA-Recap from our Streetzblog on site LIVE correspondent and via Some great Insta-Nabs.
The Hottest street wear brands, designers and Hip-Hop entertainers converged in Long Beach, California November 4 & 5 at Complex Con 2017. Back in the Day, Complex was an up and coming magazine Founded By Marc Ecko. His own clothing brand having hit it’s Apex years earlier, Complex was an under the radar Street and trend mag, I would buy the day it came out. As the internet and social media blew up, the magazine lost it’s pages and the paper it was made on became much thinner.
Fast Forward to 2016 and the first complex Con occurred, some saying that there were 400 VIP tickets sold, the same source told us this year, there were close to 2,000 VIP tickets sold and over 50,000 in attendance! Who needs a magazine? When you can turn your brand into one of the top 3 go to spots for street wear, kicks and tech trends. And put on a Con that attracts the Biggest and Best cultural icon of our time! (BTW: Unofficially, The top 3 are Hypebeast, High Snobiety and Complex).
Complex Con 2017 had everyoone who is anyone in the Street game. DJ Khalid, Pharrell with NERD, M.I.A, Cam’ron, Wiz Khalifa, Skrillex Lil Yachty, DJ Mustard, Kid Cudi from How to make it in America, Maxwell Osborne & Dao-Yi Chow from PSNY, Chris Stamp from STAMPD, Travis Scott, Vince Staples, Action Bronson, Kobe Bryant, Yes Jules, Ben Baller & D’Angelo Russell. Along with the stars of the weekend: Off-White’s Virgil Abloh and Takashi Murakami. Here’s a few pix of the 2 making Sweet Custom T’s on the spot!
Our Streetzblog corespondent traveled from Hawaii to Cali on the sole mission to meet Murakami and buy a couple thousand dollars of his limited edition gear. She succeeded as you can see by this picture, along with an autographed book. (She did say it was a 4-5 hour line to meet him and another 2 hour line to get her things at the end of the day). I told her via text: Looks like it was well worth the trip and time spent in line. BTW: She also stood in the Off-White line, but after another 3 hour wait, missed the Limited Edition Hand screened shirts by about 100 people.
Number One Tip: If you go to Complex Con or another Big event like this. Go to your favorite booth/designer first then have fun at the rest of the event.
If I was there, I would have gone str8t to the PSNY area to make some custom Nike Air Force 1’s. Would have tricked out the special PSNY x Nike AF1 Hi’s. Here’s some pix from the special master class area, where attendees could customize their own AF1’s with PSNY.
Here are some of the Custom Nike AF 1’s made at Complex Con:
The Top left Silver pair was made by Maxwell Osborne from PSNY. Jeff Stamp from *STAMD stopped by and made a pair And check the bottom left with Virgil’s version along with pal: Macklemore. *STAMPD has recently released a collab with Hawaii’s own, Town and Country Surf/T&C Surf. Pretty cool and close to home.
Here are a couple of Sniper Wells from Streetzblog’s latest projects. Fluorescent Painting with matching custom Jordan 21 Kicks!
Our Correspondent scored us some nice pix from the event including Pharell heading up the steps, The Limited Edition Fools Gold Boxes going for $50, some attendees and art from Murakami and NERD. (Thanks Much for getting these and other great pix on today’s post!).
Pharell was looking pretty Swank with his matching bright orange hair & spiked Biker Jacket:
Hope everyone had a good time at Complex Con 2017. And much Mahalo to our special Streetzblog Correspondent for all the great pictures. *All pictures are courtesy Streetzblog Corespondent or from the Live Instagram feeds over the Nov 4 &5 2017 weekend. See you on the Streetz…Blog!
Alexa Meade Turns 3 Dimensional People into 2 Dimensional Paintings
A Canvas? Who Needs a Canvas? Alexa Paints on People!
I really enjoyed today’s webdiscovery. It’s about a lady named Alexa Meade who was headed into a job in politics, who made a quick and favorable career adjustment to be an artist…who paints directly on to people!
She basically takes a person, especially someone she doesn’t know too well. Then paints upon and around them to produce her art. Then takes a picture of it, because after that, it’s all gone. When I was painting graffiti hats, I was so attached to them, I wanted to keep them all instead of sell them. Wish I had her vision of disposable art 12 years ago, I could have made some $$ before they went out of style. Now, I give them away and save some for the next 80’s trucker hat revival.
Anyways, Alexa has had a tremendous rise in fame with photos of her work exhibited in NY, London, Switzerland and Germany. Here’s how she describes her works of art:
Instead of painting a portrait on canvas, I will paint my portrait directly on top of the subject being referenced. I cover the skin and clothes of my models in a mask of nontoxic acrylic paint that mimics the colors and contours of the underlying surfaces, and then photograph them. This painting technique I innovated optically compresses 3D space into a 2D plane. Alexa Meade
Check out the TED talk below of Alexa explaining her various paintings and philosophy on art. LMK what you think of this type of art in the comments section below. See you on the streetz of Oahu..This week at the UH Men’s Volleyball game, Healthy Kids Day and the MDA Soiree. Have a nice weekend!
Thrill Seeking Photographers in NYC
Makes my stomach Drop
Gives tips and tricks that Rock
I really need a DSLR camera to Cop
Watch out for Cops
Parkour practice Spots
Of course, some post production Crops
To bring the world, picturesque Instagram Shots
Did I mention, it makes my stomach…DROP!
I’d like to be able to make my instagram shots pop more like these shots. But whew, just watching this video gives me the chills. If I was there looking down, I doubt I could handle it. What do you think?
H&M teams up with Jeff Koons in July 2014
This limited-edition handbag designed by Jeff Koons will be available on July 17, 2014 on-line and at select H&M stores including New York, Chicago, Dallas and L.A. If you get it before it hits eBay price is $49.95.
Jeff Koons is best known for his Ultra Fabulous colored balloon art sculptures of flora and fauna. The bag is produced in conjunction with the opening of H&M’s Biggest store on Fifth Ave and 48th St. in NYC and will overlap the dates of the Jeff Koons retrospective at the Whitney Museum of Art happening now thru October 19, 2014. H&M is also a sponsor of the retrospective.
A couple of weeks ago, I stopped by the H&M in Hawaii and Wow! Did they have a sale or what? Many very wearable items from $1-$25. Including a few items I picked up: A crisp clean striped pocket square for $1, a groovy pair of grey Rock & Roll jeans for $7, a retro sweat jacket and trendy, comfy plaid pajama pants for $15. Right now, H&M has some great $4 Deals just in time for July 4, 2014.
Don’t Miss the upcoming David Beckham for H&M Fall 2014 bodywear August 21, 2014.
And Don’t forget the H&M x Alexander Wang Collab coming up on November 6, 2014.
I’ve been hitting the streetz of Waikiki, Downtown-Chinatown, and Ala Moana Shopping Center taking pictures of one of this Summers Biggest trends (Hint: Straw). As soon as I have enough pictures, I’ll do the blog post. Until then, see you on the streetz of HI.
Andre the Giant + Obey = Shepard Fairey = The Most Famous Underground Mainstream Art and Person in the World
You’ve seen the black and white circular man’s head (Andre the Giant) on the streetz, the T’s on the Teens, Hoodies on the 40 or 50 somethings, even the Obama Hope campaign. . Maybe you know who created this art, maybe you don’t. This video tells very candidly who Shepard Fairey is and why he does what he does.
Today is June 2014, 8-10, mabye 12 years ago Shepard visited Hawaii. Me, always looking for the trend before the trend already had my distressed Obey sweat shirt from years before that. So, I heard he was painting a skate park near my house. It was pretty funny, I was expecting a mad house of people and hipsters. I arrived very early in the morning for me on a Saturday (9:30 a.m.) it was just me and him and like 3 other dudes wandering around. About all that happened was I walked over and said Hi, Asked if he needed any help, got blank stares, then looked around a bit, walked back to my car and went home. Nowadays I suspect I would have seen many more people there and I would have taken pictures and blogged about it. He was for sure still on the underground tip at least out here in Hawaii. And today in 2014 it’s still cool to wear an Obey T and for some reason even with Obama art going way mainstream, the shirts tend to be worn by the modern day hipsters and trendsetters. How does he stay so underground yet so mainstream?
That same week, I also remember going to an art discussion a day or 2 after the skate park installation. It did have lots of people at it, but it was boring so I left. The last thing I remember about him coming to Hawaii was being at the contemporary Museum of Art up in the hills above the High School and almost buying a silk screen print for $50. I of course, thought I wanted an original for that price. Silly me, that $50 print goes for more than $1,200 last I checked. But I’m the same person who didn’t buy a Basquait T in the late 80’s. Hey it was $80 and that was when T’s never went above $20. Now Givenchy has $350 T’s, that probably don’t turn into big time money over time like the Basquiat would have. You know, it was funny, even for $80, I did spend a bit of anxious thought about buying the T, there was just something about it. But that was when I traveled with $300 in cash without a credit card. That 4 day trip to NY would have been pretty ugly without the 80 bucks, but I would sure like to have the $50,000 or whatever its worth now.
Next artist I find, I’m buying whatever they’re selling. The funniest place I noticed an Andre the Giant sticker was in a bathroom stall at the JFK airport in NYC. Where’s the coolest place you’ve seen Shepard’s art? BTW: What’s the most expensive T-shirt you’ve ever seen? See you on the streetz or on the streetz…blog.