Dye a Day and Another Day
This project is like no other. 27 hours straight with maybe 2 hours of sleep. Brought us 3 pairs of Distressed + Tie Dyed with Bleach Jeans And almost 1 RIT Dyed Army Jacket. As usual the YouTube Videos are helpful but it always takes a lot longer to do what they do in 12 minutes. This time 12 minutes turned into 27 hours. Yes, it is fun, Yes, I am happy with the finished product. Glad I had a day off and budgeted the time involved to produce the end result. While it’s all fresh in my mind here are some tips if you attempt a project like this.
Distress and Tie Dye Jeans Tips
- Budget plenty of time for this project
- Use Rubber Bands or Rubbery hair ties. String doesn’t work well
- You can distress before or after the dye. Really doesn’t matter. I distressed 2 pairs with an Exacto Knife. The easiest way to distress jeans is to cut slits with an exacto knife. Just remember to put a magazine in between the 2 layers. Make slices, then wash in Cold and dry on Medium and you are good to go.
- Get food and Drinks ahead of time. It’s hard to make food or mix drinks with all the toxic chemicals and gloves to take on and off
- Buy 2 pairs of Gloves. One of my gloves burnt off my hand. Pay a little extra for the $5 brand instead of the $2 pair. It’s worth it.
- Get a mask to breathe through while taking the rubber bands off. The Bleach is pretty intense. Many YouTube videos don’t mention this. I recommend it as something mandatory. My skin and brain is still tingling a bit. Hour 29.
- Tie Dye Jeans. The Army Jacket did not take the bleach. Nothing happened. So I put in inRit Dye. The Rit Dye didn’t work either, it just kinda morphed the camo print. must be the synthetic fabric. Most likely the Polyester in the jacket. Well, 3 out of 4 came out Great!
- Have Fun! If you’re not having fun doing this type of gig, don’t bother. I enjoy things like this. If you don’t enjoy the process the time involved isn’t worth it. But the end product is pretty Sweet! *And if you want, email me your waist size and i can make you a pair. Just some costs + shipping. Should be like $75 + $25= $100
- Play some good music. I listened to the BBC Live for 2 days. Heard everything from Heavy English Hip-Hop to underground Dancehall, to some Annie Mac classics, to a pretty Dope Diplo Mix
- Don’t spend too much time rubber banding. One pair took me 3 hours to rubber band another about 30 minutes and they both came out Rad. Although, the more time you spend rubber banding the more intricate the patterns will be!
Here’s some pictures of the process:
And the Final Products:
The Bones Brigade Pant F/W 2019-20 Sniper Wells design for the Street Meat Market 2 different pairs of size 32 Waist. Both Distressed and Tie Dye with Bleach. Both are for sale and ready to ship in time for the 2019 Holidays. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if interested
The Layed Back Hack Pant F/W 2019-20 Gold and Dark Blue. Designed by Sniper Wells for the Street Meat Market. Size 34 Waist.
List of Ingredients for a Tie Dye Jean Day
- Rubber Gloves-2-3 just in case straight bleach hits them. Some disintegrate. I used Glam Gloves, paid a bit extra, but they still burnt through. Thus, the need for 2-3 pairs
- Bleach-Get the Linen infused scent
- Gas mask of some sort-Even just the paper version from the Doctors office
- Sharp Scissors-Get some good ones, its worth it when cutting off the rubber bands. I’d recommend the kind used for sewing. The Sharper the better. Also thin sharp scissor tips works well to get the rubber bands off easily
- Rubber bands of various shapes and sizes + Rubber Hair Ties
- 2 Big plastic Buckets I got 2 at Walmart for a great price
- Cold Water to rinse. And rinse them really well. Then wait a bit before washing in cold water in the washing machine
- Jeans-The Dark version came out a nice shade of Green and Blue. The lighter pairs came out White and Blue. I’ve been scouring the Sale racks at Macy’s for 2 months. Got 2 pairs for a really good deal. The other during the One Day sale. I have 1 pair to wear and 2 x size 32 waist to sell if you want a pair. Just LMK
- Food and Drinks-Already prepared and ready. You don’t want to mess with food and the chemicals in the Bleach
- Music-Helps set the tone of the event
- A phone and a camera-It’s hard to just use your phone to do everything. Thus the Camera. But be careful you don’t want to get bleach on it. Maybe get a friend to document the process for you. That would work. I played music with my phone and used the camera and sometimes the phone for the photos
Here is the Gold and Blue pair shot in Waikiki IRL 11/29/19
See you on the Streetz..blog
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2012 annual report for Streetzblog.com. They said we could share it with the World, thus I’m sharing it with You. Teaser for 2013: I’ll finish up posting NYC Shopping and entertainment information and What’s Hot in Chicago and New York. And next week, we’ll get back to the “Hawaii Designs” series and some more fun trends, kicks, fashions and music from the island of Oahu and around the world. Happy New Year!
Here’s an excerpt:
19,000 people fit into the new Barclays Center to see Jay-Z perform. This blog was viewed about 59,000 times in 2012. If it were a concert at the Barclays Center, it would take about 3 sold-out performances for that many people to see it.
The Hot List-Sept 2012
Before I had a blog, I had a few websites where instead of writing about a lot of cool trends, kicks and clothes from around the world, I would just list them and put a few pictures on the site. Today, I will go Old School and just list what I’ve been seeing as HOT in Sept 2012. And since it’s a blog, I may add in a bit of editorial, but I will attempt to keep it pretty simple and easy to read.
And ooops, I guess My attraction to shoes is a bit much, looks like it’s almost all kicks and shoes. Next time, I’ll try better to mix it up a bit more. Or not. I’m actually on another probation from buying shoes. (September 10, 2012 – December 15, 2012)
Streetzblog.com’s TOP 15 List plus some Burlbling Under Extra’s
- Brown Shoes for Fall 2012-Double Monk Strap if you can Rock em’
- TV Show’s-“Revenge”, “Person of Interest” and “Football Night in America”
- Aviator Sunglasses-it’s the anniversary of Rayban and Rayban made the first aviator sunglasses to help pilots see better while flying planes back in the day. And on Fashion’s Night Out, I bought a pair of Michael Kors Kauai Aviators, so gotta’ have aviators on this list.
- The Color Grey
- Brogue Boots-colorful Soles like Cole Haan’s, Camo like McNairy’s, And I still like the Grenson Fred version with the white soles.
- Dark Blue and Black Suit Vests-Worn either with a suit or without
- T’s with small V collars
- Movies-The Hobbit “An Unexpected Journey” and the New James Bond “Skyfall”
- 1.5 Inch cuffs on dress pants
- Cobalt Blue
- The Lanvin Gangster Breifcase-Check out the new Lanvin store in NYC! I know I will in December
- The Jil Sander Paper Bag Purse-If you can find one!
- Jordan Retro 11 “Bred”-Or whatever comes out on December 22nd this year. Was the Jordan 11 Columbia, then the “Playoff” now its the Bred. They all look pretty good to me. Basically the black, white, Bright red and patent black Jordan 11’s.
- EXTRA: The Fireman’s Coat-Maybe by Spring 2013?-I did see a couple nice ones during NYC’s Fashion Week. Just not a perfect one for me yet.
The New MySpace-Justin Timberlake sure hopes so after sinking 35 million into it, The PS3 mini, Wii University or Just Oceanic Time Warner Cable Bringing your video games directly to your DVR or remote-Kind of a wait and see game on this one, the Mullet Dress, Gum Soles, Leather saddle bags-as seen on the runways for Spring Summer 2013 They Look a Bit heavy and hot for Hawaii-maybe a NYC trend? Tailored Slim Levi’s, Adidas Originals Top Ten Sleek Brogue Pack-If I could I would combine the low tops with the high tops-then these work. Plaid Blazers cut at the waist, Bow-Ties: The real ones that you actually tie-that’s for sure not for me right now, and the clunky Jewel, Stones, and Metal Choker Knecklaces.
Picture of the Jordan 11’s courtesy of KicksOnFire.com and picture of the Lanvin Breifcase courtesy of selectism.com Kicks first seen by Streetzblog on Sole Collector’s website and Lanvin’s first seen on Barneys website.
Just checking in real quick. Sorry I couldnt write much this week. I’ve been going to work from 830A-1230P then School from 2P-8P. A bit draining I did notice that the Knicks Blue and Orange Spike Lee shoes will be coming out on November 5th and they will be $175. Just not sure where they will be sold and if they are limited or not, But they are HOT!
After I make it through this intense week, I’ll be doing some How to Make it in American postings and the Halloween Kicks article I promised you a couple of weeks ago. Until then, I need to do some homework now, then get some sleep. Have a Great Rest of the week!