2nd Annual look at what’s Hot Memorial Day Monday
As a blogger I get stats and in these reports I can tell what people like to read the most. On Streetzblog, the biggest article ever was on the type of headphones Michael Phelps wore during the Olympics. Second most read is anything about Jordan’s tied with Luxe Life Kicks, Next up is What’s Hot Memorial Day Monday 2013. So, here is the 2nd annual look at what’s Hot on Memorial Day Monday.
- The M2Malletier-Le Fleur Du Mal Clutch: This ladies handbag has the most radical looking handle. To me it looks like industrial metal used in a modern-day closet of the Rich and Famous. Others think it looks like a gold chopstick. The designers call it a Needle inspired by medieval armor. Celebrities from Eva Mendes to Cate Blanchett to Jessica Alba to Kate Hudson have been seen rocking this modern must see and must compliment clutch. I’m not really the official dude for hand bags, but I would call it this season’s IT bag. Looks so innovative, slick and in the moment-It’s gotta’ be the IT bag of the moment. The M2Malletier-Le Fleur Du Mal Clutch can be your very own arm candy for $1,520 at net-a-porter.com
- Frends Headphones: Pink, light blue, dark blue, black and yellow iridescent headphones. If you want to be seen and stand out from the crowd this is a great choice for you. Rock to the Beat for $199.99 at shopBAZAAR.com
- ASOS Iridescent Fabulous Platform Sandals: These totally match the Frends Headphones. Purple, flo-green, pink, and light blue iridescent colors. With what looks like a white Vibram sole (Actually a Durable Flat Form Sole). Get your pedicure done then get your sandals for $76.22 at ASOS.com
- Saint Laurent (Without the Yves) By Hedi Slimane Sunglasses: This hip pair of lucite luxury has a golden honey hued lens and frame. These would go perfect with a pair of Marc Jacobs Bronzed Brown patent leather kicks. If you want the Luxe-Life Look in minutes, this is the pair of sunglasses made just for you! Keep the Sun out of your eyes and the neighbors checking you out for $324 at solsticesunglasses.com
- Louis Vuitton Yellow Bowling Bag: If you haven’t seen this handbag in the hands of Michelle Williams I guess you haven’t been reading any paper magazines lately. This bag is in practically every Women’s Fashion Mag out there. It does look nice, even nicer modeled by the sexy Michelle Williams. It has 3 zippered compartments and is part of the L.V Mongram Empreinte collection. It would match nicely with the Honey Hued Saint Laurent Sunglasses. Get your stand out Citron yellow luxe-life bag for $2,530 at Louusvuitton.com
- Alexander Wang Parental Advisory Sweatshirt: Sheer Stripe Knit Neoprene Sweatshirt featuring the infamous Parental Advisory Explicit Content wording laser cut into the fabric. Get your translucent and lucent gear for $995 at Alexander Wang.com
- Dior Homme in Hawaii: Memorial Day typically kicks off Summer and according to Modern Luxury Magazine, Dior Homme is coming to Hawaii this Summer. Creative Director Kris Van Assche plans to release a collection intertwining the tuxedo and the beach. Sounds like fun! I need to get my name on the guest list for this grand opening. dior.com
High Fashion Sneaker World getting Bigger and Bigger
Today we look at the Mens Luxe-Life Kicks Craze that is not just a trend as we’ve said before on Streetzblog, but a huge movement and source of income for many Hi-End Stores across the country. First we’ll look at some facts regarding this craze, then we will see some streetzblog.com picks of many of our favorites at the moment (Thursday March 27, 2014)
The Soaring luxe-life Kicks Craze facts:
- Saks Fifth Avenue opens SAKSNEAKS: In February 2014. Saks Fifth Avenue in NYC opened a special in store shop on the 7th floor of their flagship store exclusively devoted to Men’s sneakers. The Big name designers included in the area are: Givenchy, Dior, Prada, Lanvin, Versace, Valentineo, Giuseppe Zanotti, Jimmy Choo, Bally, Fendi, Pierre Hardy, the Adidas by Raf Simons and Y-3 collaborations. Mens Fashion Director of Saks Eric Jennings is quoted as saying in February 6, 2014’s edition of WWD: For the last three seasons the whole dress/designer sneaker business has skyrocketed, Men’s shoes are the fastest-growing portion of our men’s business. The Saksneaks boutique is located right next to the regular shoe department and has a special new logo, graphics and lighting to make a big splash within the store. Jennings also mentioned: It’s brought a whole new customer to the store, You go in and see guys buying shoes to wear that night or for the weekend. And it starts with the sneakers and then goes into denim and leather jackets. They’re both benefiting from the increased traffic. We at Streetzblog commend Saks and their vision that this is going to be a long-lasting trend as we see Men’s shoes morphing and becoming more if not just as important to Men as they have always been to women.
- Most retailers polled by WWD said they had double-digit growth in Men’s footwear in 2013. They are expecting similar numbers or better in 2014.
- Harrods in London is opening TWO new mens rooms just for shoes in July/August or September of 2014. Harrods already doubled their mens footwear area two years ago.
- Barney’s New York. When I was there in December 2012, I saw shoes and sneakers I’ve never seen before. In December 2013, There were two different areas on two distinct floors. One I would call Hi End Luxe, the other Medium Luxe, yet both very Luxe in my opinion. I think, Barney’s has lead the way in the Luxe-Life Kicks Craze. Actually, they do it with sneakers, boots and shoes in-store and on-line. Tom Kalenderian Exectutive Vice President and general merchandise manager of men’s wear said in WWD: We have and are continuing to invest capital to renovate our men’s footwear departments to maximize this great opportunity.
- Beymen’s in Istanbul has added two special sections for mens footwear. One for Designer/Classic and the other featuring Contemporary. WWD mentions that the sales of men’s shoes at Beymen’s rose 28 percent in 2013.
- In 2012, Selfridges on Oxford Street in London more than doubled their size of the mens shoe department. Right now, it’s at 15,000 square feet. They say it’s the largest in the world. I bet it gets even bigger in 2014 or 15.
- Mintel predicts that mens footwear will generate $20.3 Billion in the US in 2014, looking at it being 22.5 billion in 2016. Numbers way up from 2006 when sales were 15.3 billion.
- The NPD notes that purchases of footwear costing more than $150 went up 28 percent between 2012 and 2013.
- Emmanuelde Bayser owner of the Corner in Berlin says 90% of his accessories budget goes into shoes, 80% of that is for Sneakers! Looking for another trend on the way, de Bayser says that the thick, clunky, creeper sole will be hitting it big very shortly.
- Esquire, GQ, WWD, and Chic Men magazine have ALL showed men wearing designer suits with Luxe-Life Kicks. A trend I don’t see stopping or slowing anytime soon.
Here are some of my favorite Black and White Luxe-Life Kicks hitting in March 2014. I personally think that the Pricey Rick Owens leather Ramones Shoe from a couple of years back helped kick the black and white hi end craze into gear. Since then, Rick has put out a bit less pricey versions in mesh and coated canvas, along with releasing some newer even bigger versions of his Ramones Sneaker.
I’ve been really digging this oil slick colorway. There’s at least 4 different pairs of kicks with this colorway out there now. They have a nice patent sheen to them that changes colors in various hues of lighting. Here’s one of my favorites: The Acne Studios Hans Oile Iridescent Sneaker.
And Here are some other selections for this month’s HOT HI-End Luxe-Life Kicks Craze.
Here are your best bet for the Luxe-Life Kicks Craze Celebrity Style. The Simple yet very exquisite Black on top with white soled bottoms. Made famous by Justin Timberlake and a lot of other big time Celebs in 2013 and 2014. (Gianvito Rossi leather high top sneakers available at Mr Porter)
If you haven’t seen it yet, here’s the newest trailer from Spiderman 2. Which I would call Spiderman 2.2. Since there already was a Spiderman 1, 2 and 3. I know, kinda’ confusing eh?
I wonder, wonder what they would Think?
In the back of many of the WWD magazines, the whole back page has the following ad printed on it. May Question for today is What Would Chanel Think of the SSUR shirts that say Channel Zero on them? What do you think? A copy of the ad is shown below and right under that is the Channel Zero Shirt with Camo Lettering.
BTW: The first time I noticed a shirt similar to this it was on Rihanna. I looked at it 2 or 3 times before I noticed the spelling was wrong. At the time I didn’t know the SSUR brand and thought she bought it on a street corner. Sheez, was I out of it or what? In recent years SSUR has done many fun designs of some pretty BIG designers including Commes Des Garcon, Gucci, Hermes, Cartier and Yves Saint Laurent-Which Heidi Slimane wasn’t too fond of and recently pulled the Saint Laurent brand out of Colette. What I found a bit of course here is Colette was selling the real brand and making good money off of it. And they were selling the SSUR “It Ain’t Laurent without the Yves” T’s at the same time. Hmmm.
I also remember reading on the WSJ that Laurent sent Colette a Cease and desist order to stop selling the shirts on-line. They stopped, but then put them in the Paris store location and sold them all out. I doubt selling a few shirts would compare to the thousands of dollars they make or could have made off the Saint Laurent hand bags. Kind of a strange story.
Even more thoughts to ponder on this. Maybe they were correct in selling both lines? Maybe Laurent should Like this move? Ya know, it has brought a lot more awareness of the Saint Laurent brand to a more youthful generation. Which in turn could turn into sales for Saint Laurent. Interesting eh? Would be an interesting debate topic for a Fashion School or High School Debate team to discuss.