The Other 3 Should Have Gone Pink Hair Trend
The TV show Younger premieres this week on TV Land. When I was in NYC in December, I kept seeing posters that said Coming Soon in March: Younger, I meant to take a picture of the ads, but kept getting distracted by shopping, people watching and eating. And I figured, I’d get back to Hawaii and hear about the show and write about it on Streetzblog. Giving everyone a very advanced notice of the show.
Well, as you can see, I saw nothing of the show way out here in the Pacific until I happened upon Hilary Duff and the man star (Nico Tortorella) with green hair on GMA this morning. Being half asleep, yet coherent enough, I noticed that they were talking about Younger and how it premieres this Tuesday March 31st on TV Land!
The show looks like fun! It’s from Darren Star the creator of Sex and the City and the clothes are styled by Patricia Field who also did the styling for Sex and the City. So, just for the clothes it should be a HOT show.
Younger stars Broadway actress Sutton Foster (Bunheads/The Angriest Man in Brooklyn) as a 40-year old suddenly single mom who attempts to be 26 so that she can get a hip, cool job in the City. The show also co-stars Hilary Duff (Lizzie McGuire), Debi Mazar (Entourage & Goodfellas) Miriam shor (The Good Wife & Bedazzled) and Nico Tortorella (The Following & Scream 4). Here’s the trailer, see what you think of the new show that is bound to get viewers, for the content, the fashion or hopefully BOTH.
So funny, I always mess up and call Sex and the City, Sex in the City. I had to fix it like 4 times for this blog post. And for the record, I thought Madonna looks good-looking like a 26 year old on her Instagram and on the awards show. This show looks perfect for those of us who don’t take an age that we are given and do or wear what we are Supposed to do or wear. And as I always say in my style advice. If you feel good in something and you enjoy wearing it, Wear it…You only live once, Any time and Any age is a perfect time to enjoy your Clothes and Kicks, no matter what age your birth certificate may say you are.
You should have seen my Health-Goth clothes on Saturday. If I can get them off my Go-Pro, I’ll post them on Instagram. Not at all age appropriate, but I felt good and at least I thought I looked good!
Addition to blog-4 hours after writing the original. You can see the pilot of the show here. Totally legal link on TV Land. I just watched it, very funny especially when her phone goes off in a meeting. The Show reminds me a bit more of How to Make it in America or Entourage than Sex and the City. Was enjoyable and cracked me up a few times. LMK what you think, if you watch it.
Brand Spotlight-Public School-March 2014
This month’s Brand Spotlight takes us to NYC to visit Public School. New York bred designers Maxwell Osborne and Dao-Yi Cho are the driving force of the Public School brand. As you can see by their website and clothes, their preferred color palette is black and white. They also incorporate some nice navy blues and greys into the looks, all perfect colors for men of all ages, which coincidently are four of my preferred colors to wear, especially during the evening and night.
Ozborne and Cho met at Sean John where Chow was the Vice president of Marketing and Osborne was the intern who wore ties in his back pocket. According to the New York Times Fashion and Style section, Osborne said that in Brooklyn, “a lot of kids were gang members and wearing bandannas, so I thought it was funny to have a tie. It was ironic.” Next up, Osborne was hired as a designer and he and Yi Cho became friends and the rest is history.
Being named Public School I suspect many of you are wondering where the name came from. And yes, it did come from the fact that both designers attended Public School in NYC. Dao-Yi Cho went to PS 69 in Jackson Heights then Stuyvesant for high School and Maxwell Osborne attended Ps 41 in the West Village. According to an article in New York’s on-line magazine The Cut, Cho has mentioned a bit of his upbringing and style influences, I was sort of a floater,” says Chow of his school years. “I was never just a goth kid or a hip-hop kid, or a jock. And that’s what our label is about — this idea of convergence, bringing different worlds together and still making it feel genuine.
Public School was launched in 2008 in an apartment in Soho, like maybe some of you, I know one was me, they ate a bunch of Ramen Noodles. The two ate many Ramen Noodles and McGriddles. I remember eating Ramen Noodles and Coconuts. Nowadays, Osborne and Cho enjoy eating at some of these great New York establishments: Sasabune 401 East 73rd, The NoMad 1170 Broadway, Joe’s Pizza 7 Carmine St. and Nick’s Place 550 Seventh Avenue/Fashion Avenue. *There’s a Sasabune about 7 blocks from where I live on Oahu. I’ve been there 2x. Once someone else paid and once I paid. It is super fantastic, you don’t order, you are served delicious delicacies from the sea. But be aware, there are no prices listed at the Sushi Bar, but the tab tends to be quite LARGE. It’s a real special occasion type of place, at least for me.
Back to the Brand Spotlight: They took a bit of time off in 2012, then relaunched with new manufacturers and new distributors. And that takes us to where they are now in March 2014.
2013 was a HUGE year for Public School. In November they won the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund of $300,000 and in June the two talented designers received the Swarovski Award for emerging talent in menswear. Clearly a Great year for both Osborne and Yi Chow.
Piecing everything I’ve read and seen about Public School, I’d sum them up as Having perfect colors for menswear with two eyes to the street to get the vibe, with the other two eyes on high-end fashion with impeccable tailoring.
Along with the clothes, Check out the ever coveted Rick Owens Ramone Kicks at the beginning of the vid and some nice black with a sleek double white sole kicks at the end of this Black and White Video.
Public School Jackets, Trousers, T’s, Suits, Kicks and more are available at: publicschoolnyc.com, Harvey Nichols in London, Iseten in Japan, and one of my favorite sites for Hi-End Kicks, Ssense in Canada. Also Available in New York at Odin, Saks Fifth Avenue, Atrium, and Barneys. *Barneys and Atrium are two of my favorite places to visit when I vacation in New York. I typically hit up Barneys on Day One and Atrium and the rest of Downtown Broadway on Day two during my visits to the Big Apple.
While doing research on Public School, I found another label that they design for called Black Apple, today’s Brand spotlight isn’t on them, but you may want to check it out. The Clothes are more affordable and they had some Kick A$$ Knicks shirts. All Black on Black, If they were still for sale I’d be getting myself a shirt or two for the Knicks drive to the 2014 NBA Play-Offs. I know, the Knicks haven’t been doing so well this year, but they do have a chance to get to the play-offs. Go Knicks! Go Melo! Note: Black Apple has been around since Fall/Winter 2010. I know I’ve seen many of the designs on the streetz, just didn’t know the designers from Public School were the masterminds behind it. As of the writing of this article-Sunday March 16, 2014, all three Jean designs are quite nice and priced perfectly, but all sold out, Although they do have many jackets to choose from and a few T’s I’d Rock. If you get a chance check it out. Who knows, when you read this they may have the jeans back in stock?
Sources/Bibliography for the Public School Spotlight: Esquire Magazine-the Style issue March 2014 (Print Edition), Details Magazine-The Fashion Issue March 2014 (Print Edition) ,The Fashion and Style section of The New York Times January 2014, and The New York Magazines The Cut on-line.
Do you have any Public School or Black Apple clothes or kicks? Let us know in the comment section. Let us know who you’d like to see a Brand Spotlight on? Or just tell us what you’re doing on St. Patrick’s Day? See you on the streetz! Or this Monday March 17the at the Dowwntown-Chinatown St. Patrick’s Day Block Party 2014.
Mid-Town and Up-Town NYC Dec 2013
- The Color GOLD: Whether designers took their tip from the iPhone 5S or not, the color of the Winter Season in Mid Town and Up Town NYC is Gold. Gold metallic kicks, Golden Store windows, Bright Gold Jewelery ala 1980 big chain link necklaces and more!
- Brown Boots: Mostly on the ladies. Just about an inch below the knee. Dark Brown, mid browns and some light brown. All in sleek or subtle brown leather. Many with zippers on the back of the leg.
- DC x Skull Candy Kicks: Wouldn’t call this the hottest pick, yet I’d never seen these before and they hit on the Gold trend. Black kicks with DC logo and the Skull Candy Skull logo embossed in Gold.
- Funky Sole Shoes: Bright Blues, Yellows, Greens, even Camo. The sole of the shoe is just as important as the shoe. I’ve also seen a bunch of Gold and silver Metallic shoes, kicks and pumps.
- The SFA Yetty: These big furry flobs of fur are in the Saks Fifth Avenue Windows. So sweet and cute. You can get a picture of one upstairs. But if you want to buy one, they “say” they are all Sold Out. If I were them I’d get some made quickly. Lots of children and children at heart including us were looking to get one or two or ..
- NY Rangers Game: This was the first time I’d seen a hockey game in Mad Square Garden. It was very exciting. It moves a lot faster than basketball, yet very fun to watch. And this game had extra flurry. The Rangers were losing 3-1 in the last period when they came back to tie it 3-3. then it went into a 5 minute over-time. Was still tied. So they did this Shoo-Out Thing. It was extremely exciting. Just one guy on one goalie. So Awesome and everyone stands and screams, oohs and aaahs. I really dig a good shoot-out as they are called. What fun!
- Tags: I may add to these, for now, here are a few cool tags to tag your Instagram & Tweets if you are coming to NYC for a Holiday. Or if you want to fake it and just try to get famous in the center of the universe. #NYMADE This is the tag for the Knicks and the Knicks games live at #MSG/Mad Square Garden. If you’re checking out the Rangers tag your tweet or instagram with #NYR and #NYC and you may end up on the jumbotron. And my favorite so far, TSQselfie-It says on the ad, BE FAMOUS! Take a selfie and tag it with #TSQselfie and it will be posted on the back of an old tricked out multi media magazine stand smack dab in the middle of Times Square. Also use, #streetzblog #StreetzNYC #StreetzHI #StreetzCHI and I’ll be seeing you on the Streetz. This week in New York City, next week in Chi-Town.
*Note: I did go to Barney’s to see the Jay-Z Collection, that I wrote about a few weeks ago. The windows outside were really fun and the collection was pretty interesting to check out. It was in a special dark black multi media room with sound and videos. However, the price points on all the items were all above $500. So, a Bit hard to shop. Oh, they did have a $150 bottle of cologne, but as far as clothes and watches, very expensive collection.
Check back later this week as streetzblog goes Downtown, Soho, Noho, Chelsea and other fab places in the Center of the Universe-NYC during the Holidays!