High Fashion Sneaker World getting Bigger and Bigger
Today we look at the Mens Luxe-Life Kicks Craze that is not just a trend as we’ve said before on Streetzblog, but a huge movement and source of income for many Hi-End Stores across the country. First we’ll look at some facts regarding this craze, then we will see some streetzblog.com picks of many of our favorites at the moment (Thursday March 27, 2014)
The Soaring luxe-life Kicks Craze facts:
- Saks Fifth Avenue opens SAKSNEAKS: In February 2014. Saks Fifth Avenue in NYC opened a special in store shop on the 7th floor of their flagship store exclusively devoted to Men’s sneakers. The Big name designers included in the area are: Givenchy, Dior, Prada, Lanvin, Versace, Valentineo, Giuseppe Zanotti, Jimmy Choo, Bally, Fendi, Pierre Hardy, the Adidas by Raf Simons and Y-3 collaborations. Mens Fashion Director of Saks Eric Jennings is quoted as saying in February 6, 2014’s edition of WWD: For the last three seasons the whole dress/designer sneaker business has skyrocketed, Men’s shoes are the fastest-growing portion of our men’s business. The Saksneaks boutique is located right next to the regular shoe department and has a special new logo, graphics and lighting to make a big splash within the store. Jennings also mentioned: It’s brought a whole new customer to the store, You go in and see guys buying shoes to wear that night or for the weekend. And it starts with the sneakers and then goes into denim and leather jackets. They’re both benefiting from the increased traffic. We at Streetzblog commend Saks and their vision that this is going to be a long-lasting trend as we see Men’s shoes morphing and becoming more if not just as important to Men as they have always been to women.
- Most retailers polled by WWD said they had double-digit growth in Men’s footwear in 2013. They are expecting similar numbers or better in 2014.
- Harrods in London is opening TWO new mens rooms just for shoes in July/August or September of 2014. Harrods already doubled their mens footwear area two years ago.
- Barney’s New York. When I was there in December 2012, I saw shoes and sneakers I’ve never seen before. In December 2013, There were two different areas on two distinct floors. One I would call Hi End Luxe, the other Medium Luxe, yet both very Luxe in my opinion. I think, Barney’s has lead the way in the Luxe-Life Kicks Craze. Actually, they do it with sneakers, boots and shoes in-store and on-line. Tom Kalenderian Exectutive Vice President and general merchandise manager of men’s wear said in WWD: We have and are continuing to invest capital to renovate our men’s footwear departments to maximize this great opportunity.
- Beymen’s in Istanbul has added two special sections for mens footwear. One for Designer/Classic and the other featuring Contemporary. WWD mentions that the sales of men’s shoes at Beymen’s rose 28 percent in 2013.
- In 2012, Selfridges on Oxford Street in London more than doubled their size of the mens shoe department. Right now, it’s at 15,000 square feet. They say it’s the largest in the world. I bet it gets even bigger in 2014 or 15.
- Mintel predicts that mens footwear will generate $20.3 Billion in the US in 2014, looking at it being 22.5 billion in 2016. Numbers way up from 2006 when sales were 15.3 billion.
- The NPD notes that purchases of footwear costing more than $150 went up 28 percent between 2012 and 2013.
- Emmanuelde Bayser owner of the Corner in Berlin says 90% of his accessories budget goes into shoes, 80% of that is for Sneakers! Looking for another trend on the way, de Bayser says that the thick, clunky, creeper sole will be hitting it big very shortly.
- Esquire, GQ, WWD, and Chic Men magazine have ALL showed men wearing designer suits with Luxe-Life Kicks. A trend I don’t see stopping or slowing anytime soon.
Here are some of my favorite Black and White Luxe-Life Kicks hitting in March 2014. I personally think that the Pricey Rick Owens leather Ramones Shoe from a couple of years back helped kick the black and white hi end craze into gear. Since then, Rick has put out a bit less pricey versions in mesh and coated canvas, along with releasing some newer even bigger versions of his Ramones Sneaker.
I’ve been really digging this oil slick colorway. There’s at least 4 different pairs of kicks with this colorway out there now. They have a nice patent sheen to them that changes colors in various hues of lighting. Here’s one of my favorites: The Acne Studios Hans Oile Iridescent Sneaker.
And Here are some other selections for this month’s HOT HI-End Luxe-Life Kicks Craze.
Here are your best bet for the Luxe-Life Kicks Craze Celebrity Style. The Simple yet very exquisite Black on top with white soled bottoms. Made famous by Justin Timberlake and a lot of other big time Celebs in 2013 and 2014. (Gianvito Rossi leather high top sneakers available at Mr Porter)
If you haven’t seen it yet, here’s the newest trailer from Spiderman 2. Which I would call Spiderman 2.2. Since there already was a Spiderman 1, 2 and 3. I know, kinda’ confusing eh?
I Almost “Luxed” Control!
I prefer real life in person window shopping over Internet Window Shopping. But I really needed a rest this 4th of July Weekend so I tried the relaxing in-home version of window shopping and ended up finding many High-End-Luxe Sneakers, Shoes and Hi-tops.
Without reading anyone else’s trend opinion for the Fall 2013 season, I found High Shine Leathers, Patent Leather, & Black to be my favorites. Might be because that’s what I would like to wear or the fact that my feet really hurt. Either Way I made it through the Window Shopping without buying any new Kicks. I was very close a couple of times, but figure I can just look around my condo and find a new pair or two to wear this Summer & Fall. If you like anything here, many can be found on mrporter.com LN-CC shoes or check out all the major designers on The Cut.
Lanvin High Shine Derby
These exemplify Many of my chosen Hot trends perfectly. High-Shine, Black and Nice soft comfy Leather. They also take an excellent que from Nike’s clear and Ice soles. Check out the transparent soles on these babies. Sweet! And they have just a bit of Subtle blue on the heel, the color for of the Summer and yet another big trend I’ve been seeing on Men’s shoes over the last couple of years-the interesting slices of colorful soles in Yellow, Blue, Orange, Red and Purple. Lanvin Men’s snake-skin Panel Derby shoes in Midnight Blue (My favorite color other than Black) $1,123 on sale for $787.
Lanvin Canvas & Patent in Black w/Golden Strap
Even though these are low tops, I still like the black canvas and patent leather. They look sleek, slick and probably just as wearable out on a Saturday night as to work on a Monday morning. Lanvin Deacon Canvas and Patent Leather Sneakers in Black: $765.
Lanvin Suede and Patent in Black
Another pair of low tops , but irresistable. Simple yet elegant. And they bring back memories of one of my first pair of kicks-My Pro Keds Low in Blue back in the late 70’s.Would look great with a slim fitting black suit with thin purple stripes along with a pair of dark purple socks. Lanvin Suede & Patent Leather Sneakers in Black. $495
Jimmy Choo Shoes in Black Alligator
This is the first pair that caught my attention on my Luxe Kicks internet window shopping spree. Elegant Crocodile with soft leather construction and a slightly faded outer portion for that perfect worn in look. Belgravia Crocodile-Embossed High-Top Sneaker in black.$765.
Jimmy Choo Shoes in Red Alligator
Same pair of Kicks just different color-way. Belgravia crocodile-emobossed High-Top. Rich Burgundy $765.
Saint Laurent Classic black High Tops
Very understated yet full of style. This would most likely be my favorite of the pack. Even though I have every shade under the rainbow of kicks in my room, I tend to wear the more comfortable and less attention grabbing the most. I like the gold Saint Laurent label at the top of them. I wouldn’t mind wearing these to work sometime. When did the Brand stop using Yves at the beginning of their title? I’ve noticed a lot of Saint Laurent branding over the last couple of days. Saint Laurent SL01H High-Top Sneakers in black. $575.
Paul Smith High Shine Black and Full Grain Green
These would be my choice to purchase when I get a “Bonus” at work or design the next big “App”. Luxurious, attention-getting, one of a kind and very good-looking. Black suit, Black T-shirt, Black Socks and these is all you need. Paul Smith Grand Longwing Leather brogues with rubber sole/High Shine Black with Full Grain leather Green. $560 Also check out Paul Smith’s Bronze High Shine Grand Brogues. I totally dig this color-way. $586.
Comme Des Garcons Paris Cat Walk-Spring 2014
These would be the “Teaser” shoes for today. Spring 2014! I’ve seen these before in one of those $175 Fashion mags and now I found them on The Cut. Something to look forward to once we’re done with the black/Patent/High Shine or last year continuing through this year’s very colorful soles. Buckled Cat patterns in a Nifty gloss to be worn of course…without socks.
Hope you enjoyed today’s Shoe’s & Kicks Fashion Show. Can’t wait to buy my own High-Shine Shoes, maybe in September? Next Post will feature LoveFest 2013 coming up in June on the island of Oahu. Until then .. Have a great time on the Streetz of Summer 2013.