Spartan Race 2014-The Beast-Saturday August 16, 2014
Part 4 of the 4 part Spartan Race Survival Series.
This is part 4 of the 4 part Spartan Race Survival series. It’s way different from the last post. By seeing many of these pictures you would think it was just a wonderful beautiful day at Kualoa Ranch. And yes, that’s what it was in part. The other portion was survival of a 13+ mile race with over 25+ Obstacles.
The picturesque setting is really famous for the filming of Jurassic Park. You may have also seen some of this picturesque beauty in Fantasy Island, Lost, and Pearl Harbor. During the first few miles of the race, I did enjoy the view, after that I saw a few things here and there, but was mainly just trying to survive Thanks to James for all the great pictures from his GoPro. All of these are his and my pictures. All Original direct from the source:
James and the Art of the Spartan Selfie
The Spartan Beast Start 2014-Kualoa Ranch on the island of Oahu
The Spartan Beast Race-Kualoa Ranch on Saturday August 16, 2014
The Finish-James completed all 3 races and did the Trifecta. In the middle are the 3 medals connecting to each other. I Finished Saturday’s Spartan Beast Race.
Spartan Race tips I’ve Learned to share with You
With just 6 hours before i need to wake up for my first Spartan Race and just 9 hours from the race itself. I figured I’d let you know some tips I learned before the first day of racing..or for me walking, jumping, and getting very muddy.
- Sign Up Early: In Hawaii that would be to sign up in April. Cost is only $119 compared to $230 the week of the race. So, about 5-6 months prior to your race is a good time to sign up.
- Sign up for the correct Race: It’s so crazy confusing. There are basically 3 races all with their own name, number of miles and number of obstacles. I just signed up with my friend and come to find out we are doing ALL three! Here’s a little snipet of how confusing it can be: Sprint, Super, Beast, Trifecta, Spartan Race, Saturday, Sunday, Challenge, Individual, Tribe even Ultimate Spartan Trifecta Challenge is all one big word. I think I have it figured out what it all means today, but it took me a few weeks to finally realize the lingo.
- Set a Budget: You’ll need some supplies from a place like Sports Authority. Some things include: Cushioned socks, special kicks with grip that let the water out easily, sport sun tan spray, light shorts-I’m wearing some Jordan’s one day and some old surf shorts another, man made material T’s-I may try one of these Sunday, for Saturday, I’ll be Rockin’ a Grey, Orange and Silver Streetzblog shirt, a hat, some sunglasses, carbo gel, knee protectors, arm sleeves, protein or carb bars, tight medium length sports underwear and maybe even a couple other things I have yet to learn about. You can buy em’ all or just some. I suggest choosing a dollar amount prior to shopping, then buying what you absolutely think you may need. You can always come back Saturday night and get some more of this slightly ill fashionable garb.
- Train and Rest: Upper body strength, Endurance and legs seem to be most important. And 3 days before, take it easy, jacuzzi it up a bit and relax.
- Sleep: Yep, probably not the best tip is to write a blog a few hours before a race like this. For me, it takes me out of my head and relaxes my mind. Keeping me focused on entertaining and helping you and not thinking of my aching knee or how in the outrageous world am I gonna’ wake up at 5 a.m. I can stay awake until 5 a.m easily. Waking up then, Wow!
See you on the Streetz of the Kualoa Ranch ..where they filmed Jurassic Park and close to where they filmed Fantasy Island on the island of Oahu, Then at the Arts in Motion Car show at Aloha Stadium, and back to the Spartan Race for day two on Sunday. I’ll let you know if I find some new tips on Saturday. Have a nice weekend!
BTW: I hear Michael Phelps is in town this weekend. Either he’s filming a spot or promoting the Aquasphere brand or both. Hope to bump into him…Hey maybe he’ll be one of the celebs at the Spartan Race, now that would be fun!
Thrills, Chills and Spills as I Run to through the Hills
I’m a shopper, a city dweller, urban creature and sometime beach goer or outdoor basketball player. I like the night, the darkness, air-conditioning, shoe shopping, a true city dude. I Hiked 1x in my life in the 80’s, never walked or ran in a charity walk. I’ve actually driven’ from the start to finish of the 8.14 mile Great Aloha Run for 20+ years.
So, How? Why? did I ever say yes to one of the World’s Toughest Race?
About 7 weeks ago, I told my friend I would participate with him in the 2014 Spartan Race happening this weekend August 16 and 17, 2014 at Kualoa Ranch on the island of Oahu. At the time, I figured it could be a goal and I would work out harder at the gym to get in better shape and maybe get some abs for the occasional trip to the beach. Sounded good at the time.
Today, I picked up my race packet and I’m seriously FREAKED out! Saturday is 12 miles with 25 obstacles, then we return on Sunday for 2 races with 3 and 8 miles with over 35 obstacles. OMG, me who has never even done a charity walk. What was I thinking? I was told it would be fun.
Today when we told the registration lady we were doing something called the Trifecta, her eyes bugged out at us like we were crazy. Then caught herself and said You only Live Once, this should be a lot of fun for you two. Then she asked for the $200, I was like what? figuring it would be maybe $50. So I asked if they served lunch? They said no. So I asked if they had any lemonade or water or maybe even beer? she said to bring my something camel. Here I was like double what? My camel? My friend said he would bring his. I laughed and asked if I should bring a water bottle or two. They said nope, that would get in the way. I haven’t looked up water camel on the internet yet, but suspect its an easy way to carry water.
Cost would have been $119, 7 weeks ago when i thought we were signed up.I guess we missed the deadline because we paid $230 to run through mud, be out in the hot sun from 7a.m on a Saturday and Sunday morning, walk or run more miles than I’ve ever ever, ever done and go up on and over 60! obstacles. I’ve never even ran more than 3 miles in a row at the gym.
I got in the car looked in my reg packet for instructions, maybe what to wear? What to Bring? Which of the 5 colored wristbands is the correct one(s) to wear on Saturday? What about Sunday? What’s the tattoo with the funny numbers for? Where does it go, arm, leg, or maybe it’s just a souvenir? Where should I put my iPhone? What about my car electronic Car key-Where does it go and will it work after being swamped in mud? What’s a water camel? I Didn’t find anything, just a yellow club wristband, a black rubber wristband, a couple marketing flyers, a circular disc called a chip. But no instructions on what to do. Do they think that everyone who signs up for this knows what they are doing? I guess so. (Later I did find some info on the internet when i downloaded a free book I should have had 7 weeks ago). But, no nothing for a first timer to feel more at ease in the reg packet. Hmmm, starting to get a bit anxious now.
I was still looking forward to having fun and still am. But when I got back from registration, I watched this video, which I could not find 7 weeks ago. Look at it! The people look like elite athletes. Doing things like crawling under barbed wire, going up big ropes, swinging on bars like little kid time at the jungle gym. This is absolutely crazy!
Alas, I told my friend I would do it, so do it I will do. After I get my non cotton only man made material socks, that’s the main thing I learned from the itneret today. But I sure aint wearing those funny 1970’s short shorts and silly tank tops and ugly running shoes. I’ll be in my Lebron B-Ball shorts, a styling T shirt, my new socks and a pair of retro J’s with new inner soles.. I know, I’ll be looking good, I still get to SHOP for some special man made material socks so the water doesn’t soak into the cotton socks and i don’t get blisters. I know I’ll have the best looking kicks at the race and yes, I will have fun, I just hope I don’t pass out. And if it really is way to tough to deal with, I figure I can just walk across the street and go to the beach. Hope I still get my “Free” T-Shirt. BTW: These shirts are very coveted and shirts you can not buy, hey that brings out the Shopinista and Fashionista in me. I knew I could find it somewhere. This really could be fun! Limited Edition shirts unable to be purchased by the general public, almost like a pair of Jordan x Opening Ceremony kicks. Now,we’re having fun!
On Sunday or Monday, hopefully I’ll have some nice, exotic, picturesque photos for streetzblog and a re-cap of all the fun I have. If I don’t, it means I’m resting, either way, I’ll get an up-date to the world by Wednesday. Hope to see you on the real streetz soon, until then see you near the hills, down in the mud, up a rope, under the barbed wire, in a pond, or just trying to catch my breath, still trying to get that elusive 6 pack…of Abs. And don’t forget the special limited edition ultra coveted T, I’ll be sporting August 31st. at the club when i will feel 100% at home DJ’ing in a nice dark air-conditioned nightclub in DownTown ChinaTown.