Stay Styling when it Rains in Cons rubber Kicks
Rain and J’s just don’t go together at all. Next time it pours get your Cons on. Converse is getting ready to debut their rubber versions of the long-standing, iconic street and court Chuck Taylor All-Star High-Top. The perfect cop for your rain gear wardrobe. These kicks have a Wellington style upper that provides awesome protection from water situations. They also have a nice soft fleece lining, brass eyelets and a gusseted tongue. The Rubber Kicks go on sale on September 15, 2014 in the USA. In-store and keep an eye out for them on-line. Adults ($65) Kids ($45)
Looks like a great shoe to wear in the slush in New York City, to a big muddy music fest or on a hike on a rainy day. I’m kinda digging the Purple or Yellow pair or maybe the white and I’ll trick them out with some colorful sharpies. There is possibly a blue pair out there somewhere? Just hard to find the picture. Below are 5 of the colors. According to Converse there are 7 total color-ways. Some websites say 6 and funny thing is there are pictures on the web of of just 5 (9/7/14). Looks like Cons is keeping us on alert. Maybe a flourescent pink for October or I bet they come out with a hunter green or even a camo down the line.
Here’s a look at 5 of the bold, buttery, eye-catching, monochromatic, rain resistant colors:
What do you think of the new kicks? See you on the streetz of Honolulu.This Sunday I’ll be at Inspiration Furniture, the Hawaii Woman Expo and the BIA Hawaii Remodel it Green Remodel it Right show. Then Hopefully home for some food and rest. Have a nice Sunday. Ciao and Aloha. SM on SB.
Greenwich Vintage Shoes with Flashy Soles
As some may know, I’m presently on a clothes and shoes fast until the end of September. For a bit, I was quite upset and didn’t write for a week or so, but I’ve decided even on a fast, I can still look and write about what I find. I found the most amazing shoes on instagram! The Greenwich Vintage Co. When I first saw these I was pretty upset because they were so nice,but only 25 available. I thought, On a shoe fast what am I going to do?
But, Luckily not only did I find this pair on their website, but even better kicks to look forward to purchase in the future! You can actually customize your own super styling shoe utilizing the Built to Order Option. These can be made with a black, brown or camo wingtip top, mid sole, sole type, inlay options and even customize your width. Yet the best and most super fantastic awesomeness in these custom kicks is you get to choose your very own electrifying colorful sole from 12 different colors including:
- Dark Green
- Kelly Green
- Baby Blue
And the prices seem reasonable, I haven’t checked the details on the shipping costs, but the prices start at just $275 for these super slick custom kicks! *The black and Brown start at $275, camo’s are a tad more.
If you aren’t ready for the full-blown custom experience or want to save a bit of cash, you can grab a pair of your own shoes, choose a flashy sole, mail them to these guys and they’ll trick them out for you.
Or the third option, is to choose a pre-made pair of iconic colorways. As of today, there are 4 to choose from. Here’s a picture of one of the HOT options in black with red soles.
Me, when I get a pair, I’m for sure going for the custom-built to order pair. Maybe, by the time my clothes and shoe fast is done, they’ll have a pair of hi-top built to orders. That’s a good thing about clothes and shoe fasts, is things can get better as time goes by. I may miss out on the special 25 pairs, but I’ll be ready in October for some of my own specially made custom-built to order kicks from the Greenwich Vintage Shoe Company.
Here’s a bit more information on this company taken directly from their mission statement:
Greenwich Vintage’s primary focus is the re-crafting and re-purposing of wingtips, boots and chukkas with its signature in-house colored soles. In addition, the Company resoles and restores customers’ footwear with its signature colored soles, preserving and improving on the past for future generations. Greenwich Vintage takes pride in being keepers of the craft, in that all of our in-house footwear is designed and handcrafted by our master cobbler at our workshop in Waconia, Minnesota. Finally, Greenwich Vintage is proud of the fact that all of our products, from footwear with colored soles, clothing, as well as accessories, are MADE in AMERICA.
Check out this amazing video showing the making of the sole and a look at their runway shoe show:
You know, being on a clothes and shoe fast isn’t all that bad, it gives me a chance to search the condo for some special kicks. In the place I live, it’s almost like real shopping. Yesterday I found and wore some Green, white and Gold retro Lebrons. I received a bunch of compliments at the gym and many people had never even seen them before! See you on the streets of Oahu all week-long and at the Spartan Race on Saturday and Sunday August 16 and 17, 2014. I’ll probably be wearing some nice retro J’s or Lebrons in the Mud, some would say I’m crazy, but those are about the only shoes I have to choose from!
Public School x Jordan Brand/Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG
I’ll tell you right out of the blocks, don’t get too excited about this pair of kicks. They will be very hard to find. They are limited to 50 pairs which are going to the friends and family of the Public School brand. The Good news is a similar pair will be produced and available at the Flight 23 shops in New York City, depending on where you find your research on the web, this version could be out by end of Summer or in 2015. There’s some conflicting information about the release of the NY23 version of these kicks. The pictured version is entitled the PSNY.
I know, a little confusing. I do like the PS on the back of the pair pictured. That’s pretty cool. The Icey Translucent outsole is sick. And all black is a great color to sneak into work with or rock with a suit, maybe with a black or white T and a purple or blue pocket square.
See you on the Diner En Blanc Streetz this weekend! A very hard party to dress for, no black allowed, everything is suppose to be WHITE including the pants! Yikes! Maybe I’ll do a post on it, maybe I won’t. As you know, white’s not one of my fav colors to be rockin’.
Jimmy Choo Spring/Summer 2015 London Runway Show
It’s only June 18, 2014 and Jimmy has your Choo’s Ready to Rock in Spring and Summer 2015. Just when you thought you had all the shoes you need, a video like this appears on YouTube. There’s so many nice kicks on here, I’m glad I have lots of time to save up for 2015. Check out the video on YouTube or look at some more pictures from fashionising.com, see what your favorites are, then take a look-see at my highlight list from the Jimmy Choo SS 2015 London Runway Show.
- Patent Leather Hi-Tops: Patent and Hi-Tops, 2 of my Favorite words and three Different pairs to choose from. Gold, Silver and black. Wow!
- Comfort: Almost all of the Choo Shoes shown have comfy looking soles. Lots of crepe, rubber, and plenty of bounce in most of the collection. I like comfortable shoes and this collection definitely look comfy.
- Colorful Monk Strap Brogues: These get me almost as quick as Patent Hi-Tops, yet I’m still don’t own a pair. Usually the soles are hard leather so I don’t buy em’. These look tempting, since they look a bit more comfortable and for sure very colorful in light blue, yellow and orange. Maybe these are 3 colors to be on the look out for in SS 2015?
- Sockless: I do like the look, just not sure if my feet can take the beating. And look at how high the pants are rolled up. Italy? Paris? Maybe Miami? Would be quite daring here in Hawaii.
Which are your favorites? Or least preferable? Anyone know any of the models in the vid? Maybe I could get a pair for Summer 2014? Seems like a looong wait for SS 2015 Have a nice Summer 2014. According to the calendar, the official first day of Summer is this Saturday June 21st. I tend to like the old system of the first day of Summer being Memorial Day weekend and the last is Labor Day Monday. Here, where I live it’s Summer all year-long, except in Summer-Time the sun can burn you a bit more and the Waves are bigger on the South Shore/ the side I live on. If you live in Hawaii or come for a visit, you need to be just a bit more careful by using additional sunscreen 30+ or over and especially more cautious with the waves. I wouldn’t recommend a surf lesson when the waves are bigger than 4 feet. As a surfer told me last week when I was getting bashed about, It’s pretty Gnarly out here today, you may want to go inside the reef. It was a 5-7 foot day and Hawaiian waves are actually double what the meteorologist tells us they are, thus a 5 foot wave is actually 10 feet tall!
Jordan XX9 Preview
Here is a preview of the new Jordan XX9. I was wondering where the 29’s were when the February 2014 All-Star Game happened. Nike typically releases their newest Jordan in conjunction with the NBA ASG. I don’t know when these come out, but it’s now April, February was a bit back. I doubt we have to wait until Feb 2015?
I do really like the fact that the Jordan brand went back to naming the shoes with numbers. When they screwed up and made up a new name instead of number for the shoe, I just boycotted and didn’t buy them. I’m so glad they have gone back to 28 then 29. Next one will be 30 which undoubtedly will be a BIG release.
The huge highlights of the 29’s is they have the design woven directly into the shoe and boast a special plate on the sole that should help you explode into the air, easier and with more propulsion. Hearing Tinker Hatfield tell us this, isn’t quite as awesome as seeing Michael Jordan actually doing it. But maybe, these will really help you jump like an NBA Baller? I know when I wore my V’s back in the day I could jump higher because the Ad campaign told me I could. Now maybe, the shoe will actually help everyone jump higher. For me the placebo effect of knowing I could Be Like Mike worked perfectly well.
Because back in the 80’s It was the Shoes that made me jump so high! I believed it and I seriously came one quarter of an inch from hitting the rim in the Jordan 5’s. Most of the time I hit the middle of net, but that one summer I did come very close to a real D-U-N-K!
With the XX9’s, we’ll just need to wait and see and give them a try when they do come out. I like the Black, Big Orange Jumpman and Ice Blue sole colorway. The other, ahh not so much, looks like a retro 3 mixed with a Gen release. Wonder how they hold up in the rain? Will they finally come out with some wider widths? Will these help you jump higher? Will you cop em? LMK. See you on the Streetz, maybe the court and this weekend for sure at the Beach. Happy Easter!
High Fashion Sneaker World getting Bigger and Bigger
Today we look at the Mens Luxe-Life Kicks Craze that is not just a trend as we’ve said before on Streetzblog, but a huge movement and source of income for many Hi-End Stores across the country. First we’ll look at some facts regarding this craze, then we will see some streetzblog.com picks of many of our favorites at the moment (Thursday March 27, 2014)
The Soaring luxe-life Kicks Craze facts:
- Saks Fifth Avenue opens SAKSNEAKS: In February 2014. Saks Fifth Avenue in NYC opened a special in store shop on the 7th floor of their flagship store exclusively devoted to Men’s sneakers. The Big name designers included in the area are: Givenchy, Dior, Prada, Lanvin, Versace, Valentineo, Giuseppe Zanotti, Jimmy Choo, Bally, Fendi, Pierre Hardy, the Adidas by Raf Simons and Y-3 collaborations. Mens Fashion Director of Saks Eric Jennings is quoted as saying in February 6, 2014’s edition of WWD: For the last three seasons the whole dress/designer sneaker business has skyrocketed, Men’s shoes are the fastest-growing portion of our men’s business. The Saksneaks boutique is located right next to the regular shoe department and has a special new logo, graphics and lighting to make a big splash within the store. Jennings also mentioned: It’s brought a whole new customer to the store, You go in and see guys buying shoes to wear that night or for the weekend. And it starts with the sneakers and then goes into denim and leather jackets. They’re both benefiting from the increased traffic. We at Streetzblog commend Saks and their vision that this is going to be a long-lasting trend as we see Men’s shoes morphing and becoming more if not just as important to Men as they have always been to women.
- Most retailers polled by WWD said they had double-digit growth in Men’s footwear in 2013. They are expecting similar numbers or better in 2014.
- Harrods in London is opening TWO new mens rooms just for shoes in July/August or September of 2014. Harrods already doubled their mens footwear area two years ago.
- Barney’s New York. When I was there in December 2012, I saw shoes and sneakers I’ve never seen before. In December 2013, There were two different areas on two distinct floors. One I would call Hi End Luxe, the other Medium Luxe, yet both very Luxe in my opinion. I think, Barney’s has lead the way in the Luxe-Life Kicks Craze. Actually, they do it with sneakers, boots and shoes in-store and on-line. Tom Kalenderian Exectutive Vice President and general merchandise manager of men’s wear said in WWD: We have and are continuing to invest capital to renovate our men’s footwear departments to maximize this great opportunity.
- Beymen’s in Istanbul has added two special sections for mens footwear. One for Designer/Classic and the other featuring Contemporary. WWD mentions that the sales of men’s shoes at Beymen’s rose 28 percent in 2013.
- In 2012, Selfridges on Oxford Street in London more than doubled their size of the mens shoe department. Right now, it’s at 15,000 square feet. They say it’s the largest in the world. I bet it gets even bigger in 2014 or 15.
- Mintel predicts that mens footwear will generate $20.3 Billion in the US in 2014, looking at it being 22.5 billion in 2016. Numbers way up from 2006 when sales were 15.3 billion.
- The NPD notes that purchases of footwear costing more than $150 went up 28 percent between 2012 and 2013.
- Emmanuelde Bayser owner of the Corner in Berlin says 90% of his accessories budget goes into shoes, 80% of that is for Sneakers! Looking for another trend on the way, de Bayser says that the thick, clunky, creeper sole will be hitting it big very shortly.
- Esquire, GQ, WWD, and Chic Men magazine have ALL showed men wearing designer suits with Luxe-Life Kicks. A trend I don’t see stopping or slowing anytime soon.
Here are some of my favorite Black and White Luxe-Life Kicks hitting in March 2014. I personally think that the Pricey Rick Owens leather Ramones Shoe from a couple of years back helped kick the black and white hi end craze into gear. Since then, Rick has put out a bit less pricey versions in mesh and coated canvas, along with releasing some newer even bigger versions of his Ramones Sneaker.
I’ve been really digging this oil slick colorway. There’s at least 4 different pairs of kicks with this colorway out there now. They have a nice patent sheen to them that changes colors in various hues of lighting. Here’s one of my favorites: The Acne Studios Hans Oile Iridescent Sneaker.
And Here are some other selections for this month’s HOT HI-End Luxe-Life Kicks Craze.
Here are your best bet for the Luxe-Life Kicks Craze Celebrity Style. The Simple yet very exquisite Black on top with white soled bottoms. Made famous by Justin Timberlake and a lot of other big time Celebs in 2013 and 2014. (Gianvito Rossi leather high top sneakers available at Mr Porter)
If you haven’t seen it yet, here’s the newest trailer from Spiderman 2. Which I would call Spiderman 2.2. Since there already was a Spiderman 1, 2 and 3. I know, kinda’ confusing eh?
Vivienne Westwood Men’s Fashion Show F/W 2014-15
The men’s hair is so much fun in this Fashion Show, so plastic, so perfect, so much like a Weeble or a Ken Doll’s hair. That’s my favorite reason for posting this show. Wonder If I could get that look at home for a night out on the town..Wouldn’t that be fun!
Similar themes to other Men’s and Women’s F/W 2014-15 shows are the Grey and Camel Colors that have been a recurring theme. Other trend that is continuing is the ever morphisizing of the Men’s shoe. More fabulous colors, styles and crafting showing up in this similar to other shows in 2012-15. Check out the bright orange tassel shoes or some of the other multi colored kicks. And as color blocking was so big in 2012-13 for women, looks like the menswear in 2014-15 is doing it too.
I do think the models walked a bit too fast for my taste, needed to watch some of it a couple of times to see everything. And I do agree with Vivienne, there just seems to be too many themes happening in one show. I would recommend and say: A fashion show should be like a good :60 radio commercial with One central theme, or max of three mini memorable moments. Like I learned the first year I worked in radio-KISS. Keep it Simple Stupid. Or whatever they changed that last S to make it more politically correct.
What do you think of the show or the F/W 2014-15 season in general?
BTW: I’m working on a new Hawaii Designs interview with Citystars Apparel. It will be ready to go sometime between March 01-August 31, 2014. Just waiting on some more pictures and some special “Galaxy” Merch to get to the islands, then I’ll be ready to publish it.
See you on the Streetz.
It’s Gotta’ Be The Shoes
- Plan Your Week Work your Plan: There are so many places to go, be, eat, drink and schmooze during Pro Bowl Week in Hawaii, you need to have a plan. Between NFL sanctioned events and Club events, I’ve counted 15 places within 7 days of I would like to go to. That’s pretty hard to do, so I’d recommend either making a paper list or using the notes area on your mobile to make a list of the places you want to be. Make them in order of most favorite to your maybe’s and take it from there. From Experiene, “I’ve been to so many events during Pro Bowl Week that I’ve actually needed to nap during the actual game, which is just plain lame”. Oh, And if you can, take the Monday after Pro Bowl off from work-you will need the rest.
- Wear comfortable Shoes: This is probably worse for me than you. But I tend to Rock my favorite kicks of the year during this special week. A different pair each day of the week. By the night of the Block Party (Saturday Night before Sunday’s Game) My feet are aching, a little bloody and slightly purple. Pick 2 days to wear your best kicks, save your rarest find of the year for Game-DAy, the rest of the week wear whatever doesn’t hurt. Over Christmas vacation, I picked up a pair of black Doc Martins with FLAT rubber soles and for some reason, these don’t hurt my feet and they practically go with everything. *Make sure you get the flat soles, I’ve had 3 other pairs of Docs throughout the years that looked great, but hurt my feet the next day so bad I could barely walk.
- Show Up Early: Wherever you choose to be during PBW, go early. It’s the best time to catch a player, get a good parking spot, better seat, or even no line at the Club. If you’re going to the Official NFL Block Party, I recommend either getting to this early or getting a hotel in Waikiki. Earlier in the night, it’s really nice to see the sunset, watch the Spectacular NFL Displays decorated throughout the street and really just enjoy a leisurely stroll through all of the magic of the evening. Later in the night, it can take over half an hour to get from one end to the other because of the huge crowd. This is also a place to make a plan, check ahead on which stage the bands and DJ’s you like will be playing and be at that stage for their performance. It can get pretty confusing as the night gets late on where everyone is playing. Early next week, I’ll add the schedule and full information on the entertainment at this years Block Party. (See bottom of Blog posting Tuesday). You’ll also want to show up early at this years game, you’ll want to go to the Official or non Official tail-gate party, get some parking, maybe relax or take a nap. Then head into the game and listen to the DJ’s Rockin’ it at each of the 4 main gates. You’ll want to get early so yo dont miss the pre game activities. The Pre Game festivities are quite nice especially when they fly the miliatry aircraft over head, Fire up the Fireworks and don’t miss this year’s half time entertainment with Fall Out Boy singing “Light it Up”.
- See Through Bags are a must: At this year’s game, you will only be allowed to bring your things in with a see through bag. You can either buy one at HERE with your team’s logo on them or bring a BIG zip-lock. Some exceptions will be made on this bag rule if you have medical conditions, but make sure you know to bring a see-through bag this year. I’m so silly I change my clothes 3 times during the Pre Game, each quarter and post game, I myself need to think of a layering plan. I tend to wear my professional work Aloha shirt to the Tailgate party, then switch into whatever the newest shirt I’ve designed for the first half of the game, then I change into my DJ Sniper Wells Bears Jersey for the last half of the game. This year, my plan is to just Layer it, hope it’s not too hot..LOL. Hey and be prepared, this year is unconferenced, which means it’s not going to be AFC/Red vs NFC/Blue. You may need some new flourescent green or orange gear for this years game. Oh, and don’t wear a college jersey or a basketball jersey, many of the rowdy fans will for sure harass you in the parking lot. And it is fun to wear your favorite football team, an Easy and Cool way to meet new friends and possibly a date for Sunday night! *For More information on bags at this years Pro Bowl click here
- Wear Sunscreen: Even though you may not be at the beach, the sun is just as HOT and will burn you even on cloudy days. It’s no fun to be burnt on game day.
- Spotting Players: I know this may sound funny, but the easiest place to spot players is on their rented mopeds on Kuhio Ave. Other easy places to spot them are at the Nightclubs or if you really want to see someone, Splurge on a room at the Marriott or the Aulani out in Ko Olina/Ihilani. But try to be really nice. The reason they don’t stay in Waikiki anymore is too many people followed them around with big books of pictures and photos to get autographs. Oh, and check back here or the newspapers, on-line because every once in a while they do some signings at a Hotel, a Gas Station or some other sponsor location, you just need to be on the look-out fo these announcements. Other than that the next best place to see a player up close is at one of their open practice sessions or at Ohana Day Saturday Morning at Aloha Stadium (8:30 a.m – 11:30 a.m) You should also be able to see Fall Out Boy sing a song or two at Ohana Day. typically the main act at the Pro Bowl performs a song at Ohana Day.
- Get your souvenirs Early: Hey you know as I do it’s an island and on an island there’s only so much inventory here, then it’s gone. They used to have the best selection at the Hilton Hawaiian Village early on in the week. This year the official hotel has changed to the Sheraton, so I will check but would suspect that the Sheraton will have some nice Pop-Up stores early in the week. Other than that early evening during the block party is a great place to pick up gear, or Ohana Day still has lots of if not most of the most sought after goods. If you wait until game day, buy your stuff before the game or in the first quarter, by the 4th quarter, there’s barely anything left. Buy Early! *In past years, there can tend to be a sale at one of the hotels in Waikiki where things are discounted, but sizes and the best selections are hard to find, I wouldn’t wait for this possible sale. Buy Early.
For Official NFL Sanctioned Events Information. Go here
The New D Rose 4 “Chicago Nightfall”
Derrick Rose is Back in action for the 2013-14 NBA Season. He’s already given Chicago a blast of excitement with a swishing floater with less than 6 seconds left to beat the Knicks 82-81 on Halloween. This week he has a slight set back with a sore hamstring, but he’ll be around this season to light it up in Chicagoland.
The new Adidas D Rose 4 Sneaker’s newest colorway Rocks the City of Chicago with accents of the City. Including the purple that represents the twilight sky soaring above Lake Michigan. Growing up in Chicago, I know this color very well, It wasn’t quite this bright when I lived there, but it sure was a sweet combination of purplish, grey toned Black. This color is embedded in my memory bank for the rest of my life. Nice how they Adidas designed these kicks with the sky-line in mind.
Also notice the purple, white, yellow and aqua accents in the lining representing Chicago’s City Lights or as someone who grew up in Chicago, the Summer hues that allowed us to play B-Ball into the night.
If I wasn’t on my annual October 1-December 18, no new kicks/no new clothes buying Time-Out, I would consider picking up a pair of these joints. I’ll just have to see what’s brewing in NYC on December 18 and Chicago on December 23rd. I so can’t wait until my self-imposed no new kicks no new clothes Time-Out is done. For the rest of you, the “Chicago Nightfall” drop on November 21, 2013.
How and Why are those kicks up there?
Have you ever wondered Why you see shoes up on the power lines? This Video explains the oh so MANY reasons why kicks are in the sky. Where I live near Cartwright Park on Oahu,Hawaii I’ve never seen sneakers on the lines, I’ve seen them on shirts, a couple of times in L.A and Once in NYC. But, never in my neighborhood. I bet I start seeing them after more people see this vid and check out all the Shoe/Kick/Sneaker FITI sites out there. Do you have Kicks hanging in the sky where you live? If so, why are they there?
Now, I’m going to look for the video on how to best throw my kicks around the Line. Looks like it would take some skill, especially for those power lines many feet up in the sky. Have a nice Labor Day Weekend! Seee you on the streetz of Waikiki, Kaimuki, Hawaii Kai and Ala Moana this weekend. (Sept. 2013)
This is a pretty funny Jimmy Kimmel Video. He asks a bunch of people about designers that really don’t exist, check out their responses: