HOT-SPOTTING on the HI Streetz-Fort Street Mall-Honolulu, Hawaii-March 2013-As seen by: Streetzblog.com
Every Monday thru Friday I walk from my car to my place of work in Downtown Honolulu. One of the best parts about walking from the parking garage to work is noticing the various clothing and kicks trending along the streetz of Honolulu.
…I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can’t see from the center-Kurt Vonnegut
Near where I work is Hawaii Pacific University. This is nice because it gives the streetz a nice international flavor. Here are a few of the HOTTER trending items I’ve been noticing over the last month of March 2013:
- 80’s Stripes: Bright, Bold, Thick striped shirts and skirts. They look like they’re from the 80’s mostly because of the colors. True Red, Flo-Yellow, Neon Green, & Bright Blues. Many colors & various styles. Some striped shirts worn over one shoulder ala 1982-85.
- Leggings in Exotic Patterns and Colors: Designs of Snakes, dragons, flowers, and Paisley’s. Or colored in bright solid Neon Pinks, Greens, Yellows and Orange. Typically worn under short black skirts or extremely short cut-off Jean shorts with the inside white pockets sticking out.
- The January, February and March 2013 Trendy color is for sure purple! I’m not sure if this is just a Hawaii color of the moment the color of the moment elsewhere? Here in Hawaii it’s for sure the color to have now. Shirts, purses, shoes, Sneakers, Scarves, Sunglasses. Various shades, mainly Concord grape, then variations of purples, violets and darker pinks.
- Hot Handbags of Today: Mostly Louis Vuitton or Louis Vuitton knock-offs. Typically the bigger the better. Guys in Hawaii Like to Rock Jordan’s and Drink Heineken, The ladies go for the Heels and drink Mojitos. And they either have a LV or are in the process of getting one. Doesn’t matter if its real or a knock off, the knock off’s are of such high quality nobody can tell the difference. I don’t care what the people at the second-hand purse store say; The Real and not so real both Look extremely good! Next hottest handbag would be Michael Kors, I’ve been seeing a lot of bright Gold MK logos in Downtown Honolulu. And the newest to pop up around down town is Marc Jacobs. And the long over the shoulder “Yoga” bags have been in style for the last 3-4 years and still haven’t peaked.
- Blue: Not as big as the purple, but the Cobalt Blue is the HOT color to POP. Also a few Sapphires and ultramarine’s out there. Usually used as the Popping color with blacks and greys.
- Electronic Cigs: Not sure if these have hit where you live or not? But around downtown this is the “must have” accessory of the moment. Seen on the streetz, at the ball games, in the cars and bars, in Gold, Silver, Black, Red, with very intricate designs, puffed vertically not horizontally like the traditional Cig. If and when Marlboro makes their version-buy stock the day they go on sale. People be smoking these electronic cigarettes like Crzy!
- Crocs: It seems that Crocs and Uggs will never go away. In Hawaii it’s mostly the Crocs. Lately I’ve been spotting them in NBA colors with tops and bottoms that match the NBA team colors. A couple weeks ago I spotted a couple wearing the Knicks (Blue on top Orange on the Bottom) and Lakers (Purple on Top and Yellow on the Bottom). And a few days ago I saw the first pair of Chicago Bulls (Black on top with red on the bottom).
Trend: Seen or Heard a Minimum of 3 Times. Definition as heard by me from a teacher of mine. This is a very vague definition of trend especially in our extremely fast paced world of 2013. Sometimes I’ll call it a trend after ONE good look or it may take 6-20 looks. Depends on my eye at the time of the sighting.
And even with the hype from the Honolulu Star Bulletin, Flux Magazine and the Honolulu Weekly, I really do NOT see an Aloha Shirt renaissance trend. All 3 have written about the shirts getting hipper and more fitting. And talked about Zig Zane and Reyn Spooner. I’m just not seeing it quite yet. There’s still lots of Traditional Inside out Reyn Spooner, Tommy Bahama and Costco/Sam’s Club shirts. I do suspect we shall see a change, but now it’s mostly media driven. I work right smack dab in the center of town and have yet to see much of a change in Men’s work attire. (Sunday March 24, 2013) I do suspect it will happen, just not an overnight sensation on this one. I have a couple of designs on my computer, just looking for the textile manufacturer right now. And even mine won’t change the culture over night, might take a couple/few years … or more! I’ll keep you up to date on the Aloha Shirts because I personally would like something newer, hipper to wear to the office!
And my last trend isn’t much of a trend, just a future prediction. It’s #hashtags for blogs. Since Twitter made the #hashtag huge, you can’t post an instagram picture without a # and Facebook has them coming out in Late March or April 2013, the next place will be blogs. I’ve been hashtagging blogs here and there for a couple of years. In the beginning I didn’t really know what I was doing, I just thought it looked “cool” or it did something. Now I’m gonna’ continue hashtaggin’ #streetzblog so that when the world turns into ONE big hashtag and ONE monstrous @At sign I will be there for #it. @Streetzpix #StreetzHI #StreetzNYC #StreetzCHI @Streetzblog See you on the #Streetz
Check out Streetzblog on instagram @streetzpix