Category Archives: Movie Premieres
Spoiler Alert-I saw Fast & Furious 6 on Tuesday May 21, 2013-I usually don’t write about movies I’ve seen because I tend to tell too much. So don’t read any further in case I say too much about this movie.
I’ve been to 5 of the 6 premiers for the Fast & The Furious Franchise movies, only missed one, which I saw opening weekend (close enough). Even though, Paul Walker isn’t in it, my favorite is Fast and& the Furious-Tokyo Drift. From that movie is the reason I have a 2012 Black Mitsubishi Lancer & my daughter has a 2008 black Mitsubishi Lancer. I suspect my second favorite would be the new F&F-Six. It’s really fun to see all the old cast members and if I needed to put the movie into a one sentence capsule it would be: Fast & the Furious Six has tons of action, it’s very entertaining, has cryp familiar faces, a couple car races, a massive amount of explosions and is like watching Oceans 11 or 13 vs GI Joe or the Avengers.
What’s Hot and Not about Fast & Furious Six
1. Fast Cars: At least 2 car races, 3-5 car chases, a speed racer style racer ala mad max & a Tank.
2. Lots of Familiar faces:Vin, Han, Brian, Letty, Riley, The Rock, Mia, Gal, Roman, Luda, Rita Ora, Elena, even Jason Statham/Ian Shaw shows up near the end.
3. Classic F&F Humor: Like when the Rock shoots out the candy machine and when they make fun of Tyrese.
4. BIG finale-then BIGGER real Finale: Just when the movie seems like it ends, it starts all over again with an even better finale Scene. Crazy!
5. Mostly Happy Movie: Only one person I cared about died, the rest I either cheered or laughed when they got toasted.
6. Up Beat Soundtrack: Continues the tradition of catchy, beat bouncy EDM and Hip Hop through most of the flick. I especially liked Here we Go by Hard Rock Sofa when Vin raced Letty. That was Bangin!!
2 Chainz & Wiz Kahlifa with “We Own It”
1. No Mitsubishi Lancers: Come on now. You get me to get TWO cars and for the last two movies I’ve noticed ZERO Mitsu Lancers, actually barely any imports in the last two movies. Mostly American Muscle cars and Military lookin’ vehicles.
2. Cool People die: I personally didn’t think it was needed at all. But Hans girlfriend dies. Then the already dead Han gets killed again in a flash-back?/flash-forward? at the end of the movie. NOTE to F&F. I usually fast forward through Tokyo Drift when Han dies the first time. I surely didn’t need to see him die again in Fast Six. Ugh!
3. No new Tech gadgets: There’s no new fun smartphones used by Vin’s team. They use ratty old walkie talkies. What’s up with that? Where’s the Samsung Galaxy S6? or the iPhone6?
Well with 6 HOTS and just 3 NOTs, I would give it a for sure “Go See at the Movie theatre” rating. I may actually go again this weekend. I will just leave before Han dies…again.
Luda & Guetta, & Usher are Getting Fast & Furious with “Rest of My Life”
The newest Daft Punk song-Get Lucky featuring Pharrell Williams sounds like 2008 Chromeo to me. What do you think?
I needed to check out the Hunger Games book to see what all the hype was about. It was seriously the fastest I’ve read a book in years! Was really hard to put it down, moves quick, characters well-developed and the story is way over the top. We all better hope something like this doesn’t happen to us. I’d give the book 4 stars and now I’m awaiting the premiere this week.
In anticipation of the movie, there’s a ton of info on the web including this video of an artist making the logo. Be sure to watch it to the end..or like me .. just watch the beginning and then skip to the end. Its pretty awesome!
So in the world of blogging, tweeting and even facebooking, the name of the game is getting things up on the web quick. as the old saying says You Snooze You Lose, this is the case in the instant gratification world of social media in the year 2011. Sticking to this vibe, I am doing this post, but just to let you know for once I am tired and need some sleep, thus, I may update this post some more on Sunday after some Coffee at wherever I go to get coffee Sunday Morning.
Thus, “With Brain Hurting, Feet Stinging, Stomach growling” (song lyric excerpt from the Aloha Aliens-Pure System Overload Song) I write you this blog at 12:26AM about an hour or so after seeing the ‘Ohina Short Film Showcase at the Doris Duke Theatre in Honolulu, Hawaii.
While parking my car met Eric Yokomori the writer of “The Vault” How cool is that? Celebs right out in the parking lot, he seemed pretty jazzed to go to the gig and we chatted about the new Jay-Z album on the way over as we passed a pretty happening Graffiti and hip hop event happening right across the street from the theatre. I pretty much wanted to stay and go to that, but I was meeting a bunch of friends and folks in my acting class so I needed to hurry on up to get to the Film Fest. Included in the very affordable ticket price of just $15, when I arrived at the theatre I was treated to a delicious dinner which included Salad seasoned with Chinese Parsley, noodles, Yummy meat Balls, Garlicked French Bread and a Brownie. Thank you to the nice lady behind the decks of food who was so super nice..Food Courtesy of Da Spot now near Down to Earth on King Street.
I hung out, saw some old friends, met some new ones.(Darren, Jordan, Nancy, Tracey, Paul, Sherry, Ken, Peter, Pagent, Rory, Marco, My “Specialty” Doctor who I hid from-Oh I never hide from anyone! LOL.” Then went in to take my seat to watch the 12 “short” films.
If you were there, send streetzblog.com your vote on which films you enjoyed the most. I’ll start with the first one I saw and go on down the list. I really like to keep this blog positive, so if I say anything negative, please don’t freak out and lose sleep over it, it’s really just my opinion of the movie and with that comes the mood I was in when I watched it. I think that has a lot to do with a movie or event review of any kind. The better my self being, the better the event, concert, fashion, etc and/or review of the movie(s).
As the Chem Bros Say “Here We Go” (On the “Block Rocking Beats” Song)
1. Blessed Assurance- The premise here is that the island of Oahu ran out of gas, then a guy goes surfing, catches some fish, smokes a little weed, has a beer, makes a perfect barbecue and eats. Basically like Ice Cube did in his movie while he sang “Today’s a Good Day” down in Compton, but the Hawaii Version. No catchy tune like Ice Cubes in this, but the day was pretty perfect, only thing missing was hooking up. Waves could have been a bit bigger, but whose complaining. The downside is that in improv class, we learn that what makes a good story is conflict and there wasnt any conflict, the island ran out of gas, but who really cares. And the movie didn’t connect the dots to why there was no gas. no Aliens, No Russian thieves stealing it. The barbecued fish looked super ONO though and it sure was a good day in Hawaii Nei!
2. Night of the LIving: I liked this one a lot, was some dude out for a run and he bumps into sexy zombie girls, a Vampire, some werewolves that looked like humans and a Vampire. He finally makes it home and I wont tell you who his parents are, but it’s pretty awesome and it ties the whole movie together. Fun movie and the guy who played the jogger was at the premiere having a good Ol’ time!
3. Extinction of the Saber Tooth Housecat: This was pretty cool. Real world and cartoon world all in one. the cinematic effects were pretty trippy, I can’t really tell you the story or you wont be surprised when you see it, it’s about a cat and a meteor and it looks really cool.
4. Not I: LIke a 10 minute version of a :60 PSA on don’t do domestic violence. Has a pretty cool trick ending. And it was filmed where I park my car for work at Mark’s Garage, so that was pretty cool.
5. Green Tie Affair: This was the most creative movie of the night. It had a muppet guy singing 90’s type Disney tunes, bright green ties, some crazy psycho Girl selling plaid clothes, and a pretty happening pool party. Next to Night of the Living, I liked this second best, mostly do to all the crazy creativity Dane Neves was able to do and not get scolded by “the man” for doing it. Sometimes I wish my world could be more like that. Dane’s a lucky dude.
6. Why Maui Snarled the Sun: Fun Hawaiian Animated movie with a fable on how/why we have sunlight. A mystical man named Maui took care of it all for us many, many years ago so that his mother and fishermen friends could have more time during the day to work..and of course Surf and have fun. pretty happening animation, cool story, just had a couple awkward moments of dialogue that didn’t seem to match the rest of the movie, but that was actually ok, because we were able to laugh and as Dr. Oz Says, Laughter can give you 3-5 extra years on your life. Or he says something similar to that, for legal reasons I guess i gotta say I kind of paraphrased that a bit.
Intermission: Kind of boring-no drinks or food and was quite hot. I did see some of the Hot actresses and stars of the movies. But didn’t really meet anyone knew during the intermission. Was kind of dazed from the hot sun we had throughout the day and felt a bit dizzy and there was no water to drink. Not sure why they don’t sell booze and drinks during intermission, all they had were some T Shirts for $20 a piece. They had nice sayings on them, but I don’t really like shirts that have too much on the fronts, would rather it be on the back with a simpler front, I feel like I’m fatter for some reason when I wear a shirt with too many words on the front and they feel heavier too. No I’m not a Manerexic. Just paranoid..I guess.
Well, I am ready for bed now, been writing for an hour, but once I start, its hard to stop, so here goes Films 7-12.
7. The Vault: This had some nice cinematic effects and pretty witty dialogue. I can’t really tell you the story because that would spoil all the surprises-but for you that means that this movie is filled with surprizes..have fun watching it!
8. Bozo: Now if you have that phobia about being scared of clowns..DONT got see this, you wont ever sleep again. A pretty, dark, and creepy story about a clown and a total Whacko Loony bin dude. Some cool lines in it like: What, What? What kind of Clown doesn’t Drink Beer? I liked the character of the crazy guy in this, well-played and the clown..well he played his role well, but I am a bit freaked out and I don’t have that clown-A-Phobia thingy. Bozo is pretty Loko!
9. Once Was Paradise: Like Mad Max if they filmed it in Hawaii. Yikes! This had some pretty happening blood in it-Gnarly would be a perfect word for the fights. Pretty flippin’ Whacked out version of post apoptylectic Hawaii. Hopefully its far off base, but some days out here, it really could come to all that craziness. If you smoke, please smoke weed and not Ice..It will keep Hawaii a lot more peaceful. these guys didn’t seem to be smoking anything, but the beer they drank was like greenish, yellow, brown sludge like looking stuff. UGH! that’s what probably made them so ticked off at the world! Get some Stella Dude!
10. Man on the Moon: Nice cinematography and really professional. Tried super hard to get emotional. Me as a guy, I don’t really dig the mushy stuff too much, but it nabbed a bunch of the audience. Since i lived in both NYC and HI, the NYC scenes shot in Hawaii were strange for me, but if you grew up here and never went there, it probably worked. And once again I saw where I work in part of the film, which is always interesting. Out of all the films, I think I could have been in this one or the sequel or similar.
11. Mute: Another heart stringer. Emotions, ups, downs all arounds. They tried super hard to get you to cry or feel something. Many times it worked well, other times it was a bit too much. They may make it into a longer feature film in the future and it is based on a true story!
12. Shave Ice is NIce: Sometimes Simpler is better and in this Case, SIMPLER Rocked the House. Cute kid, Hot babes, crisp Photography in Ultra HD, A good film to end the evening with, Fun movie with a simple yet effective plot. No wonder, i went to 7-Eleven to get an Ice Cream Fish Cake-it was a shave Ice that I really wanted.
That’s all 12, if you were there, let us know your thoughts, if you weren’t there, it all plays once again Sunday day and night, but I dont think they will have all the stars and the free food. GN for now. Aloha!
I received a picture of the worst tattoo contest from the Seattle Tattoo Expo the other day. Just wanted to let you know, I haven’t forgotten about posting it. it will be up by Sunday or before.
I saw the premiere of “Columbiana” tonight, It was a bit strange. Sometimes it was hard to tell if it was an action film or a comedy. Although it was fun and better than watching re runs of the Mentalist. Especially since tonight they showed the same Mentalist for the THIRD time. I used to think re runs just ran twice, but this episode ran THREE times for sure!! I saw the first two times.
Best and funnest quote from Columbiana:
8-year-old girl says to her uncle: “I used to want to be Zelda the Warrior”
Uncle Says: Well what do you want to be?
Little Girl: “I want to be a KILLER!” (yep you read right-a Killer!)
Little Girl: “Can you Help?” Note: as in be a killer-remember the little girl is age 8
Uncle: “Yes” (with nothing else said after that) Was pretty weird exchange of words. Although, Fun for the audience, since it was so different than anything we’ve ever heard before.
I went to the premiere of Cowboys and Aliens Tonight/Thursday July 28, 2011, Daniel Craig was fun to watch, it had some real exciting action, a bit of humor and comp Shirts that I would buy in the store. Grey and slate grey thin materialised shirts are my favorite. This one even has the distressed lettering. Pretty hip cool shirt for a movie premiere giveaway. It even has the infamous nautical star that many people are getting tattooed over the last 5 years. The only thing missing is something to do with Aliens. The star shows the feeling of Cowboys, but I think it would have been Hot if they snuck the Alien in the background of the Star. Although-fashionably over all an awesome shirt that I will wear this Summer and beyond. If you see the movie let me know what you think? I think the critics can go many different ways on it. Have a Great Weekend!!