Discord in the Dystopian Sea
The Ocean, the Beach + Rick Owens
Rick Owens Runway Show Paris Fashion Week Fall Winter 2021/22
The New Normal is a Nickel Plated Slate Grey Dystopian World-Scott Mackenzie
Rick takes us to a deserted beach in the middle of Winter to show his post covid collection of super long sleeves, multi mega ripped cat suits, and clunky heeled boots. The bone skinny models fitted in comfy down jackets, saunter flawlessly across the stark cement runway. While small cold waves crash into the sand. Can you feel the chill? Are you ready for Dystopian Chic Blade Runner Gentrification?
I like it when Rick sticks to what he does best-High end clothing with unconventional yet wearable cuts in greys and blacks. It was nice to see the greys and blacks back in action at this show. Although, some of those ultra long sleeves and skirts skimming the pavement would be quite challenging to wear crossing the street at 45th and Madison. I do suspect the sleeves and skirts will shorten a bit by the time the collection appears in store or on-line. All in all a solid Rick Owens show. Showing some classic looks along with exaggerated fits created more for publicity and not actual wearing.
The creativity of using the pre-made rock path as the runway was probably the biggest hit of the show. And gives ideas to other designers to take the runway to unconventional locations throughout the world. Where I live on the island of Oahu in Hawaii, it gives me ideas to stage a show at Kualoa Ranch/Jurassic Park, on a cracked sidewalk in Downtown/Chinatown or maybe even the top floor of the Walmart parking lot across from where I work.
Listed below are the Highlights and Lowlights. See you at the Beach!
- The setting. A built in Runway surrounded by the cold ocean at a beach with No people
- Behind the Scenes action. Fun to see the crew getting the models ready to walk
- The Music: Fit the cold stark eerie mood of the setting
- Greys and Blacks
- The PInk Hair. It would be more spectacular with some more hair colors like: popcorn yellow, bleached blue and neon green.
- The Multi -Mega ripped catsuit and dress
- Blade runner dystopian theme throughout
- The Giant shoulder pads
- Aqua sequins
- Behind the Scenes acting up: The people were all too stressed out and moving too quickly. The show was doing fine with a nice mellow feel, then Bam! They acted like it was the end of the world.
- The Music: Could have added in a bit of drum and base and mixed it up a bit
- The skirts that flowed out at the knee
- Bellowing smoke at the tip of the runway
What did you think of the Rick Owens runway show? Let us know in the comments section. See you on the Streetz…blog!
Posted on April 24, 2021, in runway and tagged Beach fashion show, Blade Runner, Covid collection clothes, Dysopian World, fashion show, Models, rick owens, RO, runway show. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.
The models should jump off the end of the pier, swim away and never look back.