Runway into Dystopia
Simons on the Blade Runner Streetz
Raf Simons x Blade Runner
Raf Simons Spring/Summer 2018 (June 12, 2017 New York City)
The Raf Simons Runway show wasn’t so much about the clothes as the spectacle of the moment. Set under the Manhattan Bridge with stench from dead fish, humidity and a definite Blade Runner Vibe, it was more like a show than a presentation of what to wear in Spring 2018.
That’s totally cool on my end. This is a Runway show, I would have enjoyed making the music for and tweaking some of the clothes even further into an even more dramatic war torn Dystopian future. Loved the setting, the swirling oil infused neon water, New Order and Joy Division references and the whole feel of the event.
Nice Job Raf!
- The Black 3/4 length pants
- The New Order inspired Chinese lanterns. There’s even a New Order graphic attached to a jacket if you look closely.
- Music matched nicely
- Reflective, oil infused Neon water
- Over-Sized sweaters
- Patent Black Back Packs. You can never go wrong with patent black anything
- ASAP Rocky and Julianne Moore were there
- I still can’t get used to that see thru vinyl many of the designers have been using. At least this time, it wasn’t the clothes, just the umbrellas. Still gives me that Jason Bateman from American Psycho feeling. #scary
- The clothes could have pushed the envelope 2-3x further into the future. Pretty close to 2018-2020, could have gone to 2032-2045.
- The hats are a bit too Ol’ man Field and Stream.
- White Raincoat. You’re just asking for trouble on that one!
Blade Runner 2019 from 1982
You can see the street influences and vibes of the Runway show from this Blade Runner trailer. Especially the many, many umbrella’s and the Beijing street market influences.
Blade Runner 2049 coming October 6, 2017
You won’t want to miss the next installment of Blade Runner. Hopefully we’ll finally find out if Harrison Ford is a Replicant or Human!!! See more about the movie here
Is Harrison Ford a replicant? See you on the Post-Apocalyptic Dystopian Streetz! (I hope)