Spart It Up
Spartan Race tips I’ve Learned to share with You
With just 6 hours before i need to wake up for my first Spartan Race and just 9 hours from the race itself. I figured I’d let you know some tips I learned before the first day of racing..or for me walking, jumping, and getting very muddy.
- Sign Up Early: In Hawaii that would be to sign up in April. Cost is only $119 compared to $230 the week of the race. So, about 5-6 months prior to your race is a good time to sign up.
- Sign up for the correct Race: It’s so crazy confusing. There are basically 3 races all with their own name, number of miles and number of obstacles. I just signed up with my friend and come to find out we are doing ALL three! Here’s a little snipet of how confusing it can be: Sprint, Super, Beast, Trifecta, Spartan Race, Saturday, Sunday, Challenge, Individual, Tribe even Ultimate Spartan Trifecta Challenge is all one big word. I think I have it figured out what it all means today, but it took me a few weeks to finally realize the lingo.
- Set a Budget: You’ll need some supplies from a place like Sports Authority. Some things include: Cushioned socks, special kicks with grip that let the water out easily, sport sun tan spray, light shorts-I’m wearing some Jordan’s one day and some old surf shorts another, man made material T’s-I may try one of these Sunday, for Saturday, I’ll be Rockin’ a Grey, Orange and Silver Streetzblog shirt, a hat, some sunglasses, carbo gel, knee protectors, arm sleeves, protein or carb bars, tight medium length sports underwear and maybe even a couple other things I have yet to learn about. You can buy em’ all or just some. I suggest choosing a dollar amount prior to shopping, then buying what you absolutely think you may need. You can always come back Saturday night and get some more of this slightly ill fashionable garb.
- Train and Rest: Upper body strength, Endurance and legs seem to be most important. And 3 days before, take it easy, jacuzzi it up a bit and relax.
- Sleep: Yep, probably not the best tip is to write a blog a few hours before a race like this. For me, it takes me out of my head and relaxes my mind. Keeping me focused on entertaining and helping you and not thinking of my aching knee or how in the outrageous world am I gonna’ wake up at 5 a.m. I can stay awake until 5 a.m easily. Waking up then, Wow!
See you on the Streetz of the Kualoa Ranch ..where they filmed Jurassic Park and close to where they filmed Fantasy Island on the island of Oahu, Then at the Arts in Motion Car show at Aloha Stadium, and back to the Spartan Race for day two on Sunday. I’ll let you know if I find some new tips on Saturday. Have a nice weekend!
BTW: I hear Michael Phelps is in town this weekend. Either he’s filming a spot or promoting the Aquasphere brand or both. Hope to bump into him…Hey maybe he’ll be one of the celebs at the Spartan Race, now that would be fun!
Posted on August 16, 2014, in Cool, Events and tagged Big Fun on Oahu, Kualoa Ranch, Mud Race, OCR, Spartan Race, Spartan Race Hawaii 2014, sports, What to bring to a spartan Race. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.