Monthly Archives: January 2014
It’s Gotta’ Be The Shoes
- Plan Your Week Work your Plan: There are so many places to go, be, eat, drink and schmooze during Pro Bowl Week in Hawaii, you need to have a plan. Between NFL sanctioned events and Club events, I’ve counted 15 places within 7 days of I would like to go to. That’s pretty hard to do, so I’d recommend either making a paper list or using the notes area on your mobile to make a list of the places you want to be. Make them in order of most favorite to your maybe’s and take it from there. From Experiene, “I’ve been to so many events during Pro Bowl Week that I’ve actually needed to nap during the actual game, which is just plain lame”. Oh, And if you can, take the Monday after Pro Bowl off from work-you will need the rest.
- Wear comfortable Shoes: This is probably worse for me than you. But I tend to Rock my favorite kicks of the year during this special week. A different pair each day of the week. By the night of the Block Party (Saturday Night before Sunday’s Game) My feet are aching, a little bloody and slightly purple. Pick 2 days to wear your best kicks, save your rarest find of the year for Game-DAy, the rest of the week wear whatever doesn’t hurt. Over Christmas vacation, I picked up a pair of black Doc Martins with FLAT rubber soles and for some reason, these don’t hurt my feet and they practically go with everything. *Make sure you get the flat soles, I’ve had 3 other pairs of Docs throughout the years that looked great, but hurt my feet the next day so bad I could barely walk.
- Show Up Early: Wherever you choose to be during PBW, go early. It’s the best time to catch a player, get a good parking spot, better seat, or even no line at the Club. If you’re going to the Official NFL Block Party, I recommend either getting to this early or getting a hotel in Waikiki. Earlier in the night, it’s really nice to see the sunset, watch the Spectacular NFL Displays decorated throughout the street and really just enjoy a leisurely stroll through all of the magic of the evening. Later in the night, it can take over half an hour to get from one end to the other because of the huge crowd. This is also a place to make a plan, check ahead on which stage the bands and DJ’s you like will be playing and be at that stage for their performance. It can get pretty confusing as the night gets late on where everyone is playing. Early next week, I’ll add the schedule and full information on the entertainment at this years Block Party. (See bottom of Blog posting Tuesday). You’ll also want to show up early at this years game, you’ll want to go to the Official or non Official tail-gate party, get some parking, maybe relax or take a nap. Then head into the game and listen to the DJ’s Rockin’ it at each of the 4 main gates. You’ll want to get early so yo dont miss the pre game activities. The Pre Game festivities are quite nice especially when they fly the miliatry aircraft over head, Fire up the Fireworks and don’t miss this year’s half time entertainment with Fall Out Boy singing “Light it Up”.
- See Through Bags are a must: At this year’s game, you will only be allowed to bring your things in with a see through bag. You can either buy one at HERE with your team’s logo on them or bring a BIG zip-lock. Some exceptions will be made on this bag rule if you have medical conditions, but make sure you know to bring a see-through bag this year. I’m so silly I change my clothes 3 times during the Pre Game, each quarter and post game, I myself need to think of a layering plan. I tend to wear my professional work Aloha shirt to the Tailgate party, then switch into whatever the newest shirt I’ve designed for the first half of the game, then I change into my DJ Sniper Wells Bears Jersey for the last half of the game. This year, my plan is to just Layer it, hope it’s not too hot..LOL. Hey and be prepared, this year is unconferenced, which means it’s not going to be AFC/Red vs NFC/Blue. You may need some new flourescent green or orange gear for this years game. Oh, and don’t wear a college jersey or a basketball jersey, many of the rowdy fans will for sure harass you in the parking lot. And it is fun to wear your favorite football team, an Easy and Cool way to meet new friends and possibly a date for Sunday night! *For More information on bags at this years Pro Bowl click here
- Wear Sunscreen: Even though you may not be at the beach, the sun is just as HOT and will burn you even on cloudy days. It’s no fun to be burnt on game day.
- Spotting Players: I know this may sound funny, but the easiest place to spot players is on their rented mopeds on Kuhio Ave. Other easy places to spot them are at the Nightclubs or if you really want to see someone, Splurge on a room at the Marriott or the Aulani out in Ko Olina/Ihilani. But try to be really nice. The reason they don’t stay in Waikiki anymore is too many people followed them around with big books of pictures and photos to get autographs. Oh, and check back here or the newspapers, on-line because every once in a while they do some signings at a Hotel, a Gas Station or some other sponsor location, you just need to be on the look-out fo these announcements. Other than that the next best place to see a player up close is at one of their open practice sessions or at Ohana Day Saturday Morning at Aloha Stadium (8:30 a.m – 11:30 a.m) You should also be able to see Fall Out Boy sing a song or two at Ohana Day. typically the main act at the Pro Bowl performs a song at Ohana Day.
- Get your souvenirs Early: Hey you know as I do it’s an island and on an island there’s only so much inventory here, then it’s gone. They used to have the best selection at the Hilton Hawaiian Village early on in the week. This year the official hotel has changed to the Sheraton, so I will check but would suspect that the Sheraton will have some nice Pop-Up stores early in the week. Other than that early evening during the block party is a great place to pick up gear, or Ohana Day still has lots of if not most of the most sought after goods. If you wait until game day, buy your stuff before the game or in the first quarter, by the 4th quarter, there’s barely anything left. Buy Early! *In past years, there can tend to be a sale at one of the hotels in Waikiki where things are discounted, but sizes and the best selections are hard to find, I wouldn’t wait for this possible sale. Buy Early.
For Official NFL Sanctioned Events Information. Go here