Daily Archives: August 18, 2013
Men’s Trends 2013-14
When I started this blog, I would look to the streetz, my personal likes and dislikes, the internet and magazines for inspirations on what is HOT now. As the blog progressed I noticed it got very confusing which Season and which Year the various media were talking about.
Some forms of media including WWD tends to be way ahead of what is going on now. Then when that same season comes around they are in with the Moment. Others seem to stay one season ahead and others are in the moment.
In Hawaii, because of the weather, things don’t change much. This winter was a bit cooler than usual so we saw more men wearing long-sleeved business shirts. And we did see many women Rocking the Cobalt blue that was so talked about for the last 9 months or so. Here and there we do get a few trends going on.
Today, whether you want to be in the now, looking towards Fall/Autumn or looking for inspiration for next spring. Here’s a few samples of what I’ve found from scouring the house magz and internet for information.
Well Spring has sprung and we’re now into Summer 2013. GQ Japan June 2013 reports these 6 Hot Trends to Rock for Men.
*Hot trend from GQ Japan, editorial after it c/o Streetzblog.com
- Flower Print. Colorful shirts and pants. Check out Ralph Lauren Purple Label for inspiration.
- Pattern: Stripes, checks, & plaids. Have fun mixing them up and having fun with this. My mom used to tell me “Don’t mix your plaids and stripes” This season it’s ok, try it see how it goes. Might want to stick to the same color palette or go for broke and mix some red or black plaid pants with red and black striped shirt, or a purple and orange business man’s shirt with Cooks/Chef checkered pants (This pattern is better known as Black and White Houdstooth or Prince of Wales Checks in the Fashion World). Check Diesel Black Gold for some striped pants inspiration.
- Color: This is that whole colored pants trend you maybe seeing a lot in the magazines or in person dependent on where you live. Green, Orange, Red, Yellow, & Bright Blues are just a few to try. Summer is a great time to try this color plan out. The light will give them a nice glow and might make you feel a bit cooler. For Inspiration check Gap, Express, Alpha Dockers or Ralph Lauren Purple.
- Tailored: Out of everything, this is what I’ve been noticing the most this Summer and continuing to be even bigger heading into Fall, next Spring and possibly next summer. The skinny Jean fad lead us all to more of a better fit for Men’s clothing. Be it your pants, shirt or suit. Custom, bespoke, or just going down to your local tailor and tweaking a few pieces of clothing will get you set for this continuing trend.
- Denim: I bet we all have a few too many pairs of jeans. This trend doesn’t necessarily mean you need to get another pair. It’s about the color denim in your short and long-sleeved shirts, possibly your trainers/kicks. And I remember last year they were trying to get the jean Jacket back in action, I havent seen that come to fruition. Maybe in Japan? Diesel Black Gold has a nice darker blue Denim shirt that looks pretty crisp.
- Leather: Once again not just your pants or jacket, but your shirt can now be made of leather. For sure, this is a bit too hot for where I live, but I guess it could look ok in a layered look. This is by far my least favorite of the 6 trends. It just won’t look right on everyone. GQ Japan suggests Balmain Homme for inspiration.
The September 2013 issue of Details magazines recommends:
- Plaid: I thought this was a two years ago trend. but seems to still be rocking. Especially by some of the more Luxe designers like Saint Laurent by Hedi Simane ($890), Rag & Bone $290), A.P.C $235, Public School ($325), Band of Outsiders ($295) or Armani Exchange ($88). I’ve personally seen some nice plaids at Rag & Bone, just seemed a bit pricey for something I only wear once or twice a year to watch the Pipeline Pro at 4AM. Streetzblog Tip: check out Both the Army Navy Store (they get lots of left over stock from Japan so they have lots of Large and X Large in stock-2nd or 3rd floor) and the basement of RagStock-“Premium Recycled Clothing” on Belmont in Chicago for some great deals on some pretty nice plaids. Two years ago at RagStock, I scored a couple of pristine Hilfiger and Land’s End plaids for less than $10 bucks each. And they weren’t boxy, actually fit quite well.
- Black shoes: Cap toe, Loafer, and the double monk strap is still being pushed hard. I’d also add in black mid cut boots from a luxe designer like Dsquared, Grenson, Emporio Armani or Saint Laurent. Or my favorite at the moment: The LUXE designer Hi-Top. They may be pricey, but that’s my favorite trend to rock in 2013.
- Color: Once again we get the color green light. This time it’s olive green, toned down blue, Aqua Blue, bright YELLOW and RED. (And Details also threw in Brown). Personally I’d stick to the brighter colors for Spring and Summer. I like the darker greys, slate greys, black, and Midnight blue for Winter.
WWD is one of the best places to check to the future. I like the news Forget summer pastels and bright shades, A darker palette rules the Spring Designer market. Here are the 4 colors that WWD recommends for Spring 2014.
- Dark Burgundies
- Deep Purples
I also see more blues and a darker shade of green in the pictures.
And Also from WWD, be on the look-out for these Spring Trends in Mens Fashion: Flowers on pants, shirts, jackets and T’s, Volume Shorts, Loose Tailoring, Darker colors, the Active Lifestyle look, and Clashing Separates.
Whether you’re dressing for now or the future, hope this helps. I always say If you feel comfortable in something, if you feel you look good in it, it gives you confidence or makes you smile, Just wear it!
Have a nice week! See you on the streetz a lot this week. Friday night at Wet n Wild Hawaii, Friday evening at the Power Bash and Saturday early evening at the Duke Kahanamoku KINE luau!