Monthly Archives: August 2013
Which Pill do you slurge on?
Upscale, Trendy, Fashion Palace of the Rich and famous-Kitson is getting a lot of exposure from their latest T’s and Sweatshirts. They come in Xanax, Adderall, and Vicodin. Some say it’s just a fun Pop culture fashion statement, other’s say it encourages drug use. These dope duds don’t come cheap either. The White with Black lettering T- shirts are $58 and the Black with white lettering sweatshirts are $98 What are your Thoughts on the T’s and Sweats? One thing I notice for sure is they did a great job choosing the models, these gals and guys would probably look good in plain black and white T’s and Sweats. (All Available here now, before they either sell out? or get taken off the site and go for double or triple on Ebay)
Makiki Heat-What’s HOT–Top 6-Labor Day 2013
NIN The New album by Nine Inch Nails-Hesitation Marks comes out on September 3rd. Remember about 5 years ago they did the “WaveGoodbye” Tour. Well, they’re baaack, and not only is the new album out on 9/3/13, they are also on tour!
NFL The NFL season officially kicks off on Thursday September 5th with the Ravens taking on the Broncos on Thursday night Football. So far, the station (The NFL Network) that shows Thursday Night Football is free on my Oceanic Time Warner Cable. I just hope it’s still free on Thursday September 5th. Otherwise The NFL season will start on Sunday September 8th. And watch out! If you wait to watch the replay of the first Monday Night Football game of the season, it usually doesn’t work too well. They typically play two games and neither is repeated. This is mostly for people who live in Hawaii who like me watch MNF during the replay after I get off of work. Because MNF is on LIVE really early here at around 2p, then changes to 3p when the Daylight Savings Time happens. Or in the case of Hawaii and some areas of Indiana, Daylight Savings Time doesn’t really happen, things just come on TV at different times then the rest of the year.
Eyeball Jewelry Hard-Core party goers in Amsterdam are Rockin’ tiny platinum charms in their eyes. Shapes include hearts, stars, & dollar signs. This sounds a bit scary to me, but doctors are using special scissors to make a tiny hole, then slipping the very thin charms into the eye. If you want to Rock this Trend, you may need to go to Northern Europe, so far it’s not available in the US. cost is $1,100 ++. (Source: Allure-September 2013 issue)
Edible Cocktail Glasses I havent seen these in person, but the picture sure make these look tasty. They come in 3 flavors and colors. “Tangy Salty Lime”, “Tart Sour Lemon” and “Citrusy Bitter Bitters”. I bet they’d be fun to have at a party, especially if you’re the first to bite into one! $195 for a set of 48, available here from Loliware. (Source: O-August 2013 issue)
Hi End LUXE Sneakers With so, so, so many Retro Jordan releases this year, it’s hard to keep up and hard to look different. The trend I’m stuck on and watching very closely is the Luxe Sneaker wear. Hot brands to check include: Alexander McQueen, Givenchy, Rick Owens & Laurent. The kicks run $700-$1,200. But, I’m saying, save a bit of $$ and be one of the only in your city wearing a pair. Instead of buying 3 pairs of Jordans, invest in one pair of LUXE kicks. And you know, some of them are much more comfortable than J’s. Especially the kicks with the buttery leather. (Source: Streetzblog)
Converse Canvas Kicks At the same time as I see the LUXE kick trend rockin’ hard. I’ve also been noticing hipsters, Rock Bands and Trendites wearing standard black and white low top Canvas Converse Kicks. Me, I can’t really wear these anymore, hurt my feet too much. But Streetzblog is here to let you know what we’re seeing as “in” and HOT at the moment and the converse canvas kicks are making a big comeback. Watch also for Early 80’s standard looking Puma, PONY, and converse one star hi-tops all making a pretty big come back. (Source: Streetzblog)
Breaking Bad’s Hank & Marie Check out Miley Twerking at the 2013 VMA’s.
Tonight’s the Big night for the 1st Annual Power Bash at the Waikiki Shell. On Thursday, Iggy Azalea and U.G.L.Y stopped by Power 104.3 for some interviews. Today, I have the approximate times that everyone will be hitting the stage. I always like to know ahead of time who is playing when so I can time my day out. So, figured you might want to know too. (These aren’t exact times, but pretty close) See you later tonight at Wet n Wild, then at the Power Bash.
- 5:30 pm: DJ SOURMILK
- 6:30 pm: AV
- 6:45 pm: U.G.L.Y
- 7:05 pm: GLASSES MALONE W/ HYPE MAN DJ QUIZ
- 7:25 pm: HONEY COCAINE
- 7:40 pm: HOK
- 7:50 pm: IGGY AZALEA
- 8:30 pm: CHRIS BROWN
Men’s Trends 2013-14
When I started this blog, I would look to the streetz, my personal likes and dislikes, the internet and magazines for inspirations on what is HOT now. As the blog progressed I noticed it got very confusing which Season and which Year the various media were talking about.
Some forms of media including WWD tends to be way ahead of what is going on now. Then when that same season comes around they are in with the Moment. Others seem to stay one season ahead and others are in the moment.
In Hawaii, because of the weather, things don’t change much. This winter was a bit cooler than usual so we saw more men wearing long-sleeved business shirts. And we did see many women Rocking the Cobalt blue that was so talked about for the last 9 months or so. Here and there we do get a few trends going on.
Today, whether you want to be in the now, looking towards Fall/Autumn or looking for inspiration for next spring. Here’s a few samples of what I’ve found from scouring the house magz and internet for information.
Well Spring has sprung and we’re now into Summer 2013. GQ Japan June 2013 reports these 6 Hot Trends to Rock for Men.
*Hot trend from GQ Japan, editorial after it c/o Streetzblog.com
- Flower Print. Colorful shirts and pants. Check out Ralph Lauren Purple Label for inspiration.
- Pattern: Stripes, checks, & plaids. Have fun mixing them up and having fun with this. My mom used to tell me “Don’t mix your plaids and stripes” This season it’s ok, try it see how it goes. Might want to stick to the same color palette or go for broke and mix some red or black plaid pants with red and black striped shirt, or a purple and orange business man’s shirt with Cooks/Chef checkered pants (This pattern is better known as Black and White Houdstooth or Prince of Wales Checks in the Fashion World). Check Diesel Black Gold for some striped pants inspiration.
- Color: This is that whole colored pants trend you maybe seeing a lot in the magazines or in person dependent on where you live. Green, Orange, Red, Yellow, & Bright Blues are just a few to try. Summer is a great time to try this color plan out. The light will give them a nice glow and might make you feel a bit cooler. For Inspiration check Gap, Express, Alpha Dockers or Ralph Lauren Purple.
- Tailored: Out of everything, this is what I’ve been noticing the most this Summer and continuing to be even bigger heading into Fall, next Spring and possibly next summer. The skinny Jean fad lead us all to more of a better fit for Men’s clothing. Be it your pants, shirt or suit. Custom, bespoke, or just going down to your local tailor and tweaking a few pieces of clothing will get you set for this continuing trend.
- Denim: I bet we all have a few too many pairs of jeans. This trend doesn’t necessarily mean you need to get another pair. It’s about the color denim in your short and long-sleeved shirts, possibly your trainers/kicks. And I remember last year they were trying to get the jean Jacket back in action, I havent seen that come to fruition. Maybe in Japan? Diesel Black Gold has a nice darker blue Denim shirt that looks pretty crisp.
- Leather: Once again not just your pants or jacket, but your shirt can now be made of leather. For sure, this is a bit too hot for where I live, but I guess it could look ok in a layered look. This is by far my least favorite of the 6 trends. It just won’t look right on everyone. GQ Japan suggests Balmain Homme for inspiration.
The September 2013 issue of Details magazines recommends:
- Plaid: I thought this was a two years ago trend. but seems to still be rocking. Especially by some of the more Luxe designers like Saint Laurent by Hedi Simane ($890), Rag & Bone $290), A.P.C $235, Public School ($325), Band of Outsiders ($295) or Armani Exchange ($88). I’ve personally seen some nice plaids at Rag & Bone, just seemed a bit pricey for something I only wear once or twice a year to watch the Pipeline Pro at 4AM. Streetzblog Tip: check out Both the Army Navy Store (they get lots of left over stock from Japan so they have lots of Large and X Large in stock-2nd or 3rd floor) and the basement of RagStock-“Premium Recycled Clothing” on Belmont in Chicago for some great deals on some pretty nice plaids. Two years ago at RagStock, I scored a couple of pristine Hilfiger and Land’s End plaids for less than $10 bucks each. And they weren’t boxy, actually fit quite well.
- Black shoes: Cap toe, Loafer, and the double monk strap is still being pushed hard. I’d also add in black mid cut boots from a luxe designer like Dsquared, Grenson, Emporio Armani or Saint Laurent. Or my favorite at the moment: The LUXE designer Hi-Top. They may be pricey, but that’s my favorite trend to rock in 2013.
- Color: Once again we get the color green light. This time it’s olive green, toned down blue, Aqua Blue, bright YELLOW and RED. (And Details also threw in Brown). Personally I’d stick to the brighter colors for Spring and Summer. I like the darker greys, slate greys, black, and Midnight blue for Winter.
WWD is one of the best places to check to the future. I like the news Forget summer pastels and bright shades, A darker palette rules the Spring Designer market. Here are the 4 colors that WWD recommends for Spring 2014.
- Dark Burgundies
- Deep Purples
I also see more blues and a darker shade of green in the pictures.
And Also from WWD, be on the look-out for these Spring Trends in Mens Fashion: Flowers on pants, shirts, jackets and T’s, Volume Shorts, Loose Tailoring, Darker colors, the Active Lifestyle look, and Clashing Separates.
Whether you’re dressing for now or the future, hope this helps. I always say If you feel comfortable in something, if you feel you look good in it, it gives you confidence or makes you smile, Just wear it!
Have a nice week! See you on the streetz a lot this week. Friday night at Wet n Wild Hawaii, Friday evening at the Power Bash and Saturday early evening at the Duke Kahanamoku KINE luau!
These Kicks are Just not Right!
This is probably the first pair of Air Jordan’s I would not wear even if they were FREE! What’s going on here? The shoe on the left is in the Phoenix Suns colorway and the Pair on the Right is in the Seattle Supersonics colorway. The title of this release is the “Formidable Foes Pack”, meaning two teams that played the Bulls in the Play-Offs.
Me, being a Jordan Fan and a Bulls fan there is now way I would want to wear these. Who Would? Would you? And if they made these, where are the HATED Detroit Pistons colorway. That was the Bulls most “Formidable Foe” & the hardest to get past to get to the Bulls goals foe..fer sure.
Although, full disclosure on my end, I would Rock the Jordan 11 “Knicks” Colorway, but they are pretty expensive. My favorite colors are Orange and Blue together and the best place to watch a B-Ball Game int he entire world is Mad Square Garden. But Suns and Supersonics..I don’t think so. I wonder who is going to buy these? Not Bulls fans, and I bet the Sonics and Suns fans still dislike Mr. Air Jordan for messing up all their hopes and dreams. So, I don’t see them wearing them either.
Pretty strange colorways. At least for me.
And These Kicks are Alright!
On another Jordan note, check these all Red Air Jordan 3’s that JT has been rockin’ during the Legends of Summer Tour! According to Hip Hop wired he wears them and also gives them away at shows. That’s some major JUICE to have your own pair of kicks that you wear & giveaway to fans. I don’t even think you can buy em’ anywhere but Ebay. Now these are HOT!
What do you think of these releases? What are you wearing this Weekend? Me-I’m busting out my brand new All Patent leather luxe Black/Red McQueen’s. See you on the Streets of HI this weekend.