Monthly Archives: March 2013
New Video of Mermaid by Train Shows Lots of Hawaii and The 2013 NFL Pro Bowl!
This video is so much fun for me to watch, it’s Train and their Song Mermaid In Hawaii at the NFL Pro Bowl 2013! It shows them at the private VIP party performing in the pool-which BTW was amazing!It was completely mesmerizing watching the band perform in a luxurious swimming pool with Pink and Blue lights.
Even though the lead singer-Pat Monahan said “don’t go in the pool, you may get shocked” I thought for sure someone was going to jump in. Is sure did look tempting! But good news is no one did.
The video also shows Train at the beach, at Ohana/Family Day, performing prior to the game and even wandering in the stands at the game! Also check out sports illustrated swimsuit model Alyssa Miller as the elusive Mermaid, Hawaii’s star Ukulele player Aidan James and Daniel Dae Kim, star of Hawaii Five-0 and former star of Lost.
After seeing Train, it reminded me that WalterFrench has a new video out, so I went to look for it and didn’t find it yet, but came across this vid. It’s deserving of a blog post. Even if I watch it 2-3 times, It still confuses my brain to no end! Damien Walter’s said he filmed every shot Backwards. Even with bit of a hint to what’s going on, it still strains my brain. Pretty brilliant! See what you think?
HOT-SPOTTING on the HI Streetz-Fort Street Mall-Honolulu, Hawaii-March 2013-As seen by: Streetzblog.com
Every Monday thru Friday I walk from my car to my place of work in Downtown Honolulu. One of the best parts about walking from the parking garage to work is noticing the various clothing and kicks trending along the streetz of Honolulu.
…I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can’t see from the center-Kurt Vonnegut
Near where I work is Hawaii Pacific University. This is nice because it gives the streetz a nice international flavor. Here are a few of the HOTTER trending items I’ve been noticing over the last month of March 2013:
- 80’s Stripes: Bright, Bold, Thick striped shirts and skirts. They look like they’re from the 80’s mostly because of the colors. True Red, Flo-Yellow, Neon Green, & Bright Blues. Many colors & various styles. Some striped shirts worn over one shoulder ala 1982-85.
- Leggings in Exotic Patterns and Colors: Designs of Snakes, dragons, flowers, and Paisley’s. Or colored in bright solid Neon Pinks, Greens, Yellows and Orange. Typically worn under short black skirts or extremely short cut-off Jean shorts with the inside white pockets sticking out.
- The January, February and March 2013 Trendy color is for sure purple! I’m not sure if this is just a Hawaii color of the moment the color of the moment elsewhere? Here in Hawaii it’s for sure the color to have now. Shirts, purses, shoes, Sneakers, Scarves, Sunglasses. Various shades, mainly Concord grape, then variations of purples, violets and darker pinks.
- Hot Handbags of Today: Mostly Louis Vuitton or Louis Vuitton knock-offs. Typically the bigger the better. Guys in Hawaii Like to Rock Jordan’s and Drink Heineken, The ladies go for the Heels and drink Mojitos. And they either have a LV or are in the process of getting one. Doesn’t matter if its real or a knock off, the knock off’s are of such high quality nobody can tell the difference. I don’t care what the people at the second-hand purse store say; The Real and not so real both Look extremely good! Next hottest handbag would be Michael Kors, I’ve been seeing a lot of bright Gold MK logos in Downtown Honolulu. And the newest to pop up around down town is Marc Jacobs. And the long over the shoulder “Yoga” bags have been in style for the last 3-4 years and still haven’t peaked.
- Blue: Not as big as the purple, but the Cobalt Blue is the HOT color to POP. Also a few Sapphires and ultramarine’s out there. Usually used as the Popping color with blacks and greys.
- Electronic Cigs: Not sure if these have hit where you live or not? But around downtown this is the “must have” accessory of the moment. Seen on the streetz, at the ball games, in the cars and bars, in Gold, Silver, Black, Red, with very intricate designs, puffed vertically not horizontally like the traditional Cig. If and when Marlboro makes their version-buy stock the day they go on sale. People be smoking these electronic cigarettes like Crzy!
- Crocs: It seems that Crocs and Uggs will never go away. In Hawaii it’s mostly the Crocs. Lately I’ve been spotting them in NBA colors with tops and bottoms that match the NBA team colors. A couple weeks ago I spotted a couple wearing the Knicks (Blue on top Orange on the Bottom) and Lakers (Purple on Top and Yellow on the Bottom). And a few days ago I saw the first pair of Chicago Bulls (Black on top with red on the bottom).
Trend: Seen or Heard a Minimum of 3 Times. Definition as heard by me from a teacher of mine. This is a very vague definition of trend especially in our extremely fast paced world of 2013. Sometimes I’ll call it a trend after ONE good look or it may take 6-20 looks. Depends on my eye at the time of the sighting.
And even with the hype from the Honolulu Star Bulletin, Flux Magazine and the Honolulu Weekly, I really do NOT see an Aloha Shirt renaissance trend. All 3 have written about the shirts getting hipper and more fitting. And talked about Zig Zane and Reyn Spooner. I’m just not seeing it quite yet. There’s still lots of Traditional Inside out Reyn Spooner, Tommy Bahama and Costco/Sam’s Club shirts. I do suspect we shall see a change, but now it’s mostly media driven. I work right smack dab in the center of town and have yet to see much of a change in Men’s work attire. (Sunday March 24, 2013) I do suspect it will happen, just not an overnight sensation on this one. I have a couple of designs on my computer, just looking for the textile manufacturer right now. And even mine won’t change the culture over night, might take a couple/few years … or more! I’ll keep you up to date on the Aloha Shirts because I personally would like something newer, hipper to wear to the office!
And my last trend isn’t much of a trend, just a future prediction. It’s #hashtags for blogs. Since Twitter made the #hashtag huge, you can’t post an instagram picture without a # and Facebook has them coming out in Late March or April 2013, the next place will be blogs. I’ve been hashtagging blogs here and there for a couple of years. In the beginning I didn’t really know what I was doing, I just thought it looked “cool” or it did something. Now I’m gonna’ continue hashtaggin’ #streetzblog so that when the world turns into ONE big hashtag and ONE monstrous @At sign I will be there for #it. @Streetzpix #StreetzHI #StreetzNYC #StreetzCHI @Streetzblog See you on the #Streetz
Check out Streetzblog on instagram @streetzpix
“Too Cool For School?”
Men’s Fashion Trends Fall 2013
Taking a Flash-Forward approach to upcoming trends for Fall, here are the NINE various trends seen at the London, Milan, Paris and New York Fashion Weeks. Trends courtesy of and named verbatim by the WWD-February 28, 2013 Edition. With Editorial about the trends courtesy of streetzblog.com
1. Pared-Down Suits: Trousers still looking pretty skinny, yet length depending on where you live and what look you’re going for are either very short & cropped or pretty short & scrunchy. Presently I prefer mine with zero or 2 small pleats, tailored fairly close to my legs with a slight break above the ankle with a ¾ inch Cuff.
2. Volume Coats: I suspect the designers were over doing it a bit here to show the trend. The coats fit at the sleeves but are big, bulky and basically look like they don’t fit. It’s taken my 15 years to realize most of my clothes are way to big. This is one trend I won’t be participating in during 2013. I find the fitted yet comfortable look to be the best at the moment for my clothes and my future winter coats.
3. 3-D Effects: Puffy fabrics, protruding elements, and various depths to one piece of clothing. I suspect this is a look for fashion forward Paris or Milan. Looks a bit retro 80’s. I’m not very into this look, kinda’ like trying a bit too hard; maybe it will grow on me or possible “on top” my fabric of choice.
4. Cropped Pants: Well above the ankle. Almost like long yet tailored shorts. This looks good if you use High Quality Designer duds. I’m one of the biggest proponents for mixing Fast-Fashion and Hi-End Fashion, but for this to look good I would suggest spending some bigger cash and get your gear from DSquared2 Marc Jacobs, Rag&Bone or Junya Watanabe. Or if you do go FF-HF, invest in some nice hi-top brogues or play with your socks a bit. The Cordovan hi tip brogues look great! Or try the Pebble Brown Doc Martin’s or some Army/Navy Surplus store combat boots. The black socks with the Black pants are a look I dig. I’d say it would also work well with Flo-Orange, Flo-Green or Paisley socks as well. Like the look, just spend a bit of cash and get some nice high quality fabrics, or some nice kicks and socks and this should be a pretty stylish Pick!
5. Mr. Green: Basically WWD is saying that dark green, forest Green, and army green are going to be Big colors for Fall 2013. Looks ok to me, I tend to go for the blacks, greys and midnight blues on the weekend. But I do wear a lot of green to work, so no prob’s with green on this end.
6. Heritage Fabrics: Grey, Black, dark camel Tweeds, plaids, Checkers and squares, In nice thick hi-quality pants, shirts, jackets and vests. I think we’ve been seeing this trend taking form for a couple years now. Chic Men Magazine has been doing it up since issue number one. This version has a bit of a “Blow Up” retro Sixties look to it. I like it; you would just need to live somewhere cold enough to make this look work for you.
7. Chic Athletics: Looks like more and more designers going the Y-3 x Adidas Style. Marni, Duckie Brown, Kenzo, Kris Van Assche, Time Coppens and Trussardi using High end fabrics with a sporty weekendy type of look. Things look a bit baggy here, not sure if we’re ready to going back to the big and baggy look. I for one am going to try and stay true to fit for another year or two. Anyone need some XL & XXL NBA or NFL All-Star Gear? I have lots in my closet, waiting for the trend to come back around or prepared to sell it in my new “Kicks and Clothes on Wheels” Mobil Mobile that I designed last week. Right now, you could just email me if you’re interested and are big enough to fit the Gear.
8. Bold Patterns: Flowers, Paisleys, Birds, geometric shapes on pants, shirts, coats, sweaters, and suits. One trend I can do without. Unless I was Dj’ing or doing some sort of Red Carpet entrance. Then I’d still probably stick to my Black, Grey and Orange plaid pants on plaid shirt with black suit jacket look. No birds or toads on my clothes this year!
9. Leather on Leather: Leather Jackets, Leather pants Leather gloves, leather shoes all worn at the same time. If you’re a Rock Star or think you’re a Rock Star this is the look for you. Have fun!
What will you be wearing in Fall 2013? Comment or Hit up the survey just below this blog posting with a quick click. See you on the Streetz.
Being in the flow is definitely something worth Striving for. I know when I’m there. I’m tapped into something that is far beyond my ability-Aleta Pippin
Just this past Thursday night March 7, 2013, I was flipping thru the TV channels with nothing to watch when I stumbled upon a channel I didn’t know existed and was able to watch Spike Lee’s New York B-ballin’ movie-He Got Game. I haven’t seen that movie since 1998 when it first came out, then maybe again in 2001. I do like the movie, I just forgot all about it in the digital world until this past Thursday.
During the movie, Denzel Washington/Jake Shuttlesworth has a classic game of B-Ball against his much younger and fitter Son-Ray Allen/Jesus Shuttlesworth. Denzel with major tape on his knees pops a few in and puts on a good show against Jake, mostly I would say “because he’s got the shoes”, he’s wearing a pair of black and white Jordan 13’s. During the movie and especially during their game of 1 on 1, I was wondering when those kicks were retro’d. Also wondered if they ever came out? I for some reason didn’t recognize the colorway. But because of Denzel’s stellar performance in the game I wanted to get a pair to try out on the courts, to see if I could play like Denzel against the younger players over where I play ball. (My right knee hurts too!)
But when did they come out? Come to find out from just a click or two on Google, these Kicks release THIS Saturday March 16, 2013 at the Nike Store and Jordan Brand retailers. ($170) And yes they did come out in November of 1997. But don’t think they’ve ever been retro’d in this colorway.
I don’t know about you, but I’m thinking “They showed that movie on purpose this past Thursday, because Nike gave the TV Station a few bucks to show the movie with the shoes in it right before they hit the Stores”. Coince-A-Dinky?
Or maybe, I’m just a little paranoid because I’ve been reading forward thought leader William Gibson’s book, “Zero History”. I haven’t finished the book yet, but a general theme in it is “Marketing Fashions to people thru various underground and unorthodox methods”. I think that Nike-Air Jordan, utilizing the TV station and the movie He Got Game NABBED me spot on this week! I saw the shoes on an OLD movie last week and they are coming out THIS Saturday! “Say What?”
What do you think? An in the Zone Coincidence? Or Buy these kicks underground marketing tactic? Or…
In Case you need some help deciding on your opinion, You can check out the kicks and the game between Jake and Jesus right here:
Interesting Trivia from IMDb on this scene. In the Original script Jesus was supposed to beat Jake 15-0, but Spike Lee asked the two actors to play as if the game was real. The film’s footage and scoring comes from the actual game played between Denzel Washington and Ray Allen. Good choice! If Jake lost 15-0, I sure would NOT want to wear those shoes! I’d want Ray Allen’s kicks, but those aren’t even Jordans, so prob neither.
“When I haven’t Any Blue I Use Red”-Pablo Picasso
Over the last year or so, I’ve been seeing some eye-popping colors in Men’s shoes. Mark McNairy’s yellow soles, the recent Cole Haan Collection, and some nice Purple, Yellow and white Boots from DSquared to name a few. But, from Chic Men’s magazine to one of last week’s issues of WWD, I was really noticing some wicked Rubbery soles, Cobalt Blue Soles, and brogues in bright orange. I was on a mission to solve the mystery of the designer making these lavish Kicks that I sure would want to get a hold of in the near future. Luckily in one of last week’s WWD’s, I noticed in the fine print on one of the pictures the word General Idea, I’d seen this name once before but thought it was in context of the article not the name of the designer, but yes, it is the name of the designer and the mystery is solved.
In addition to some nice shoes, they have some pretty great looking futuristic yet classic clothes in slick greys, pops of purples and the like. Here is the General Idea Fall/Winter 2013 Show. Not sure why the audience is void of Women, but it is. Other than that I’d say General Idea has some great ideas, Kicks and Clothes. Check out the show:
Here is the link to purchase some of the Bright and Nouveau Riche Kicks. I really am not sure at all why they call it General Idea New York, then sell most of their shoes on a Foreign Site? I would recommend a New York site with American Money, these look quite expensive in the Korean currency. And shipping who knows? Hey- I wonder if Rodman has a pair of General Idea Kicks? LOL. At least we do know the shoes are available somewhere. Maybe that’s part of the mystique about General Idea? It took me a while to figure out who they are? Now, it’s a bit hard to Aquire the footwear? I suspect it’s all part of the master marketing plan. Things that are harder to find, become more sought after. The similar marketing strategy has worked HARD/WELL? on me and my bank Account when it’s a Retro Jordan!
Up next is the General Idea Spring Summer 2013 Behind the Scenes and in front of the scenes Fashion Show. As you can see there are both male and females at this event. Looks like lots of people enjoying taking pictures with BIG tablets and the guys in the seats have some pretty nice kicks on too! I show you this VID, not because it is the most recent, but it’s what is for sale right now-March 2013. Check out the Flo Green Camo Clothes and of course the Flourescent Yellow and bright Pink Kicks. The pull tabs on the backs are also quite nice!
And Here’s a picture of what I earlier called “Wicked-Rubbery Soles” If you know the official name of this type of sole, LMK. I was thinking of doing a blog on kicks with these soles in the near future.
And Before I get myself back to my job, here’s the pair of kicks I have my eye on for a possible future purchase:
Swedish House Mafia-Farewell Tour-Mad Square Garden & Barclays NYC-2013. with a bit of MSG NYC 2011 thrown in for fun!
I did try to get to this show, but since I was just in NYC in DEC 2012 and I saw SHM at MSG in DEC 2011, I really didn’t try that intensly. And I’m kinda’ trying real hard not to use my credit card for 3 months. Other than “One Pair” of Jordan 1’s, I’ve not used my credit card since December 29, 2012 which is pretty good for me!
SHM is saying this is their last tour, We shall see about that. Being there in person myself in 2011, I can say they have the best video and light shows I’ve ever seen and this show looks even better than the one I attended. But, when I saw them John Martin was there live to sing this tune. I Don’t see him during this song this past Friday night. BTW: He’s a really cool Chap and dresses with pure European flair mixed with NYC street Swagger. Here’s “Save the World” By SHM from this past Friday night March 1st – 2013 Live at Madison Square Garden in NYC.
Next up is SHM with Resurrection/Here We Go into /Antidote Live at Barclays on 3/2 in Brooklyn. This is where I really wanted to go, I’ve never been to this Joint, but as you can see and hear, it’s pretty state of the art. Lights and Soundz even bigger and brighter, louder and crisper. My co-worker from down the hall was here on Sunday night, he hasn’t made it back from NYC yet with the full report, but he did say it was 28% that night. Hope he picked me up a shirt! Hehehe. Looks like quite a show!
And Yes I know this is the same song as the first, but I couldn’t resist putting up “Save the World” with John Martin Live at MSG Dec 2011, the night I was there. And I thought the lights were awesome that night-check out the difference a year and a couple of months does for a well paid EDM group. One screen in 2011 and 3-5 screens in 2013 with even more clarity, definition and punch. Wow! Here’s “Save the World” again with John Martin Live at MSG in NYC-Dec 2011.
And since, “Don’t You Worry Child” is their big hit now, Here it is Live at Barclay’s from this past weekend in March 2013.
I like the Graphic Confetti into the real confetti, Sweet! I don’t know if you ever “play pretend to be there” like I do? Here’s how I did it this past weekend: On Sunday I woke up really early in Hawaii at 7AM, watched the 8AM Knicks vs Heat game LIVE at MSG, took a break, ate, cleaned the house. Then, drank some coffee from my “REAL” paper Greek coffee cup nabbed from some NYC Deli in the 90’s, then cranked up the Swedish House Mafia and pretended I was there. Was close enough for me to have a great day, I didn’t touch my credit cards and I was able to enjoy the 82% weather even though I once again missed the beach. I tell you this Sunday is a Beach Day no matter what! I am there! Have a nice week whether you are here, there or pretending to be here or there. Have a good one!
Mark McNairy “New Amsterdam” Men’s NY Fashion Week Presentation
I needed a bit of a break after all the Jordan fun and I had my first real cold in at least 12 years. I dont ever get sick, I say to myself all the time “I’m 100% Healthy”. And I never get sick, but I got it and even missed a day of work! ugh.
Back with a little vid of Mark McNairy’s debut of their New Amsterdam Men’s collection from New York Fashion Week 2013. I like the two-tone shorts, The various camo,wools and tweeds. But my eyes were very fixated on the shoes and brogues. We’ve written about his shoes before and I still like them the best. Check out the nice blue soles on the pair at the end of the show.
The Ski Mask’s would go well with that new TV commercial about the convenience store and the convertible car they drive in the Snowy Weather.
What do you think of the collection? Or What Collection have you seen lately that’s nice?