Monthly Archives: September 2011
This is a bit different for a streetzblog.com posting. I gotta Say I haven’t been to a play for at least 10 years. My friend called Friday afternoon and said we were going to go to a Chinese Bondage movie. So I was like “oooKay?” and figured I’d probably end up not making it and just work late and go home and crash. But he called and reminded me and I noticed I was the only one still at work. So I said sure I’ll be there in 10 minutes. I got the very last ticket for the “Play” not a Chinese Bondage movie after all. And I liked it. It only had three people in it, but they all played their characters quite well. I especially liked Ms. Julie, she had big crazy eyes and reminded me of the slightly psycho Cyrilla Deville from 10001 Dalmatians. The man played a real “dude” quite well and Christine also played her part well. Miss Julie kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next the whole play.The story was captivating, the Opium Den was the perfect setting and the acting was awesome. The only weird part was the end. I seriously thought it was intermission time, because as far as I could tell the story didn’t end. When I asked the lady next to me if it was over she said yes and I said I guess we make up our own ending and she said she thought Miss Julie was going to go die and they didn’t want us to see the blood. Me, I think maybe she might, but I liked Miss Julie a lot so I hope she doesn’t kill herself and she has a happy life. Miss Julie was put on by All the Worlds a Stage Theatre Company and starred Lacey Perrine Chu, Tracy Hanayo Okubo and Troy M. Apostol. It played at the Opium Den at Indigo in downtown Chinatown, Honolulu HI. it has one more show Tomorrow/Saturday September 24th. I’d give it 3.9 out of 4 stars and would say to go see it. the .1 off is only because I didn’t know it was over and was looking forward to an intermission to get some food. The only bummer about the night is as I was walking to my car with my friend, he was on the phone saying how he and his other friend ate some really good Filet Mignon before the Play. OMG-Sure wish I had left work on time like a normal human being and got to eat some real food, instead of Doritos and bottled water from the gas station on the way home. Oh well, gotta stay positive-At Least I made it out on a Friday night and didn’t stay at work all night. If you saw Miss Julie or another good or bad play recently..LMK Best way to reach me this weekend is by text (I have computer school all day Saturday from 9a-4p) text me at 808 479-9928 if you have some street news, need a tip or two on where to go Saturday night or if you’re just bored. Peace to ya’ all weekend long.
Now I gotta tell you I don’t work for HBO or even know anyone who works there. And Yeah, I know I already posted a “How to Make it in America” video this week. But this one is just too cool and I totally dig the NYC vibe. What song is this? I know I have it on a CD in my car, but my brain is kind of blurred from too much paperwork at work this week. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did. Luis Guzman gets a neck tattoo-bet it’s not real! See you Sunday October 2nd on Twitter, hope we can watch the first show of the second season together #howtomakeit I’ll either be @scottmackenzie3 or @HiChiNy it depends on which computer or iPad I use on October 2nd.
First off-Man did time fly or what? The final Season of Entourage is over and so is this season of True Blood. I thought I would have time to give up my HBO for a month or two to save a few bucks. But, Wow! no ways! “How To Make it in America” Season Two Debuts next week Sunday October 2nd. When I posted their first vid for the new season I had no idea it would be here this quickly. by the looks of the Vid, it seems that Ben and Cam actually have a Store called “Crisp”, that sounds pretty quick from one pair of jeans to a store, but they must have been hustling all Summer long. If you watch the first of this year’s season LMK what you think? I know lots of people didn’t even know the show existed last year and I for one am glad its back. You can also check out Season 1 on HBO On-Demand. I’ll be watching HTMIIA live Hawaii time on twitter #howtomakeit join me if you get a chance!
Now on to various HOT-NESS. This isn’t from any website or magazine. It’s just a random list of what I’ve been noticing around town in Honolulu of what’s HOT NOW and seems to be trending.
1. Black, Flourescent Green and bright Purple
2. Shuffle Crews at Raves
3. More and more designer Kicks on HPU students than ever before. When I walk to work in the morning the HPU students used to wear lots of generic lookin’ lameness, but this year they’ve stepped up their game big time!
4. The fashion Laces: No shoelaces, Kicks with bright shoe laces and sneaks with different colored laces on the left and on the right.
5. Retro Aloha Shirts: Prints ala’ Magnum P.I and even earlier looks from the orignal Hawaii Five-0 days.
6. Watching TV on Twitter with friends and strangers
7. Red Headphone Cords: About 10 years or so ago the Hipsters on the Subway all wore the white earbuds and that told everyone that they were cool and were also rocking an iPod, not just some generic mp3 player. Soon after the white earbuds became the norm. Nowadays I’m noticing the “hipper” peeps using the red cord that comes with the Beatz By Dre Headphones. So Just so you know, the red ones mean you have a nice pair of $300 headphones and you are cool. And from the sales numbers that are huge and keep soaring, these expensive yet awesome headphones may soon become the “norm”.
8. Work Boots-Mainly Reddish Brown for this Fall..well not actually in HI yet..it took uggs about 8 years before I saw them on people in Waikiki. But I gotta include work boots because I’ve been seeing them everywhere else I look.
What are you seeing in the streetz where you live? or on the net or mags? What’s Hot Where you at? LMK
Coming Soon to streetzblog.com-Some of the best Kicks for Halloween! oh Yeah! My favorite Holiday is almost here.
Hit me up on the comments section or email me at: Alohabros@gmail.com Have a nice weekend!
Daniel Day Kim welcomes the crowd to the UH vs Pepperdine Volleyball game in Hawai.
Tonight I went over to the UH vs Pepperdine Womens Volleyball game to get on to Hawaii Five-0 and have fun with some friends. It was a little early for me to go out on a Saturday night, so I forgot my real camera-sorry for the iPhone shots and I barely made it in. My friend with all the tix gave them all away because he knows i have trouble getting out of the house at 630p on a Saturday night.
It was weird there were no scalpers out tonight, but we thought positive and low and behold, my friend Gene said this family coming down the escalator will have some tix. He Asked them and they gave me two! Thank You so much to whoever you are, that was very nice of you.
So I went in to watch the games. The crowd was jammed packed with close to 10,000 people there! A total Sell Out! And UH won the 3 games, thus they won the match. After the game was over, They started the filming for Hawaii Five-0, We watched a fake UH team and a Fake Rio Del Rancho Team play a bit then do a big spike and after that we went WILD and hopefully got on TV. We did this about 8 or 9 times.
They threw out a few special edition Hawaii Five-O shirts to the crowd and did lucky tickets to win 9 Volleyballs signed by the 4 principal actors of Hawaii Five-0. It was a fun night, although there weren’t any action scenes with guns and things blowing up. Just the pretend Volleyball game. But What a great way to spend a Saturday night. And this kind of thing could only happen here in Hawaii, thus lucky I’m here this month.
Fashions at the game: Well not much going on, everyone was told to wear a green shirt with an H on it.So lots of green shirts with H’s on them, a few UH football jerseys, a couple of people in sea green sweaters, a pretty nice flo green lettering on green shirt and a bunch of people in pink who just plainly didn’t know where they were or didn’t get the memo to wear green.
Me, I went with the herds on this one, green shirt with an H that my friend Shannon gave to me yesterday just for the Occasion. And I had on my one of my most comfortable pair of Jordans. The Green, silver, red, Blue Nurse Sharks.
Oh Yeah, one more thing, when I left the Arena, I spocked my car with some sort of silver spray paint or opaque paint marker on it. It is pretty Street, but also kind of lame. I guess you would call it vandalism? Not sure, never had this happen to me before. I told the cop lady, she said she was watching some other floor during the game, then she took a picture of it and a picture of my licence plate. Then I went home. Here’s a picture of some street art from Hawaii? Looks a bit more like NYC stuff, but I don’t really get the purpose of it. It doesn’t even have a tag in it or any design element other than dribbles. Bed time now, I gotta wake up early Sunday for a 7 hour photoshopclass-wish me luck. Watch for me on TV on the Hawaii Five-0 TV show! Cheers and Aloha!
DJ Mehdi-Good friend and collaborator with Chromeo passed away earlier this week. Reports on the net say that he was at a Birthday Party with Riton-his project Carte Blanche partner. The Roof Collapsed and many of the people fell and DJ Mehdi passed away. Sources: MTV.com and DJmag.com
DJ Mehdi helped out and worked with lot of great artists including Daft Punk, Cassius, Zombie Nation, Justice and Chromeo. Mehdi also produced his own Tunes with the Ed Banger gang.
Today was kind of weird for me. I was looking for some Friday inspiration and was trying to upload a DSL video, but got sidetracked and ended up on iTunes. it was there that I bought a DSL tune then followed my genius to DJ Mehdi. I didn’t post anything until I got home and it was then that I found out that he passed away. Very Strange since I havent listened to Mehdi for a few years now. Please enjoy this video with DJ Mehdi featuring Chromeo-Some pretty Hot “Fancy Footwork” seen here.
Best Wishes and blessings to Mehdi’s friends and family members.
UH plays Pepperdine this Saturday night at the Stan Sheriff Arena. And Hawaii Five-0 is filming after the games. They are asking attendees to wear green with an H on their shirt.
As some song says: “A lil’ Bit of this and a Lil’ bit of that” is what we have for you today.
SBSB-Hawaii Five-O Alert: Today, I received an email asking if I had any tickets to this Saturday’s U.H Women’s Volleyball game from 3 different people, usually I don’t get asked that by 3 people in a week, let alone in one day. So, I asked around and heard a buzz about Hawaii Five-0 and how they would be filming at the game this Saturday. Seems the Rumours of the day are confirmed. This is directly from the Star-Advertiser.com site:
“The University of Hawaii is asking fans to come to next Saturday’s match against Pepperdine and stick around after to help film an upcoming Hawaii 5-0 episode. The match starts at 7 p.m. and some 5,000 tickets are available. UH is asking fans to wear green “H” logo shirts”.
Sounds like fun, but I don’t have any tickets, I gave them all out last week. And do 5,000 people really have green shirts with H’s on them, maybe UH, but H? eh? I see a promotion here! If I was a local company in town, I’d print up a ton of green T’s with H’s on the front and put my logo on the back, then tell everyone they can have one if they spend $25 bucks or more at my store this week. (I’d actually sneak my company’s logo somewhere on the front, but that would probably piss off Hawaii Five-0 and I sure wouldn’t want to do that, I still want to get on the show one day!
SBSB-Celeb Alert: Spotted earlier today in Kalihi at a school. Arnold “The Terminator” Shwartzenager (sp) and Tia Carrere. Rumor is he and Tia will also stop by two more schools this week. They are on a mission to say no to drugs, gangs and getting Drunk and Saying yes to homework, sports and Life. Hmmm. Note: Tia Was also spotted at the Hawaii Five-0 Premiere this past Saturday at Sunset on the Beach in Waikiki. And on the Celeb spotting scene: Wayne Brady was at the Wanda Sykes show Saturday night at the Blaisdell.
And last but for sure not least SBSB-Shoe Alert: It seems Spike Lee has finally made some Spizikes in a colorway that makes sense and looks really good! He has finally produced the Knicks Colorway in both Orange and Blue. And the Blue is set to go on sale to the general public. I dont know the exact date on the blues, but do hear that they will be available. I dont know at the moment if the orange colorway will go on sale, but as we can see by this picture they do exist.
So far, I’ve resisted getting a pair of Spizikes, mainly because they are usually too expensive at $175 on the racks and usually more on pickyourshoes.com. And because I’ve only once seen a colorway I enjoyed. But now, OMG! These are Sweet! My favorite colors are blue and orange and Yeah, I’m a Bulls Fan, but living in Hawaii most of the year, I can cheer for whoever I want, thus, I am also a Lakers and Knicks Fan. And the Knicks are the only team that I see in person every year at least once. Thus, its ok if I like the Knicks and the Knicks colors. And hopefully, Carmello will get his swag back this year and the Knicks will actually play well for once in like 10 years or so. I’ll keep you posted on when these go on sale. With no NBA season solidified right now, it would be a good time for these to come out, so NIKE can make some money-just think how much money they would lose without an NBA season. I noticed that tickets for Hockey went on sale last week and Hockey and Basketball usually start at about he same time of the year, so “Hey-Where’s the NBA, and why isn’t anyone talking about it” maybe it’s because I live out in Hawaii, but no one is missing the NBA out here except me right now. That’s just plain wrong! They better be playing when I hit NYC in December or I won’t be rockin’ these or any new B-Ball shoes this year! That will be my protest! Yeah!
Aaah! All Week long, I thought I’d be talking about “Fashion’s Night Out” tonight, but when something like this comes around, it takes precedent over everything. If you grew up in the 70’s or 80s or 80s and 90’s you must have seen at least 1 if not all 3 “Back to the Future” movies. And what do you remember most about the movies? The DeLorean? well maybe The Awesome Michael J Fox Guitar licks? maybe or maybe not. What you do remember is the Hoverboard and how cool it would be to have one! And if you’re into shoes, a full-blown sneaker addict or as I remember back then just thinking “Wow that board is something I gotta’ have and Hey what are those crazy shoes he’s wearing?” I want those too!
Well after about 25 years, The Hoverboard is still not how we get to work in the morning. For reasons I just do not know! Because I know it can’t be too hard to make a flying skateboard. Ya know, I bet Rob Dryzeck has had a hoverboard for at least 10 years, him and probably Tony Hawk.We should be taking our hoverboards to work by now and HEY-Michael J Fox rode his in the 1985 movie, Whats the Deal!! Putting Hoverboards on the back burner for now-back to today’s real point: Before today, we couldn’t get the Air McFly Shoes that have been buzzing the internet since..well..since the internet was born! But today’s the Big Day! Check out the pretty interesting video at the top of this page that shows a warehouse of full blow crazy A Shoes!!! I got the VID off of my favorite on-line magazine: Shoes-up.com. Pretty simple yet extremely eye-catching Video,and low and behold—— LOOK! These are the new Air McFlys!!
Once I saw this Vid I went str8t over to HypeBeast to see what they had on the subject. Here’s an up close and personal look at the shoe-they are actually called NIKE MAG-Air McFly-I dont know why they use the word MAG, we all know them as the Air McFly why not use the perfect name instead of MAG, Nike-Air McFly sounds perfectly fine to me. However, the name doesn’t matter much right now, what matters is where do we get a pair? Well, seems they only made 1500 pairs and the first 150 or so will be auctioned off on eBay. the others, who knows, check the local sneaker boutique and see what you find out. If anyone knows, hit us up over here at streetzblog.com for more pictures and lots more details, just click here and check out all the great information that Hypebeast has on these super-duper, long-awaited, highly anticipated Kicks release of 2011.
Ya Know, I did go to Fashion Night Out this year, but it wasnt nearly as fun as last year, so kind of glad the Air McFlys came out. I don’t know what I would have said about Fashion Night Out at Ala Moana 2011. But 2010’s Fashion Night Out was extremely Fun!!! And pretty hard to beat a great night out!
I just went to eBay to look for the shoes and as of 10:35 Hawaii Standard Time, these are priced at $8,200. I guess it’s serious, but sure sounds like a lot, but maybe its movie stars doing the bidding. the proceeds do go to a great CAuse-Michael J Fox’s foundation to find a cure for Parkinson’s Disease. But today, I don’t even have $820 to pay for shoes, let alone $8,200! Wow!! As I hear them say “Happy Bidding”.
We’ve procured another picture of some celebs rockin’ the still unreleased Air Jordan Retro 3’s in the Black/Cement Colorway. According to the Shoegame.com these babies don’t come out until Black Friday-November 25th. I’ve got some sort of obsession with these, but it may wear off a bit after seeing the new pictures below this writing. The black leather looks a bit hard, crinkly and uncomfortable. But last up close picture we saw, the leather was more Pebble looking not wrinkly, so who knows when they come out what kind of leather they’ll really have on them. And actually the Stealth grey 3’s are available now on Finishline.com, so I might just cop them. Grey is one color I don’t have any shoes in any way. And I already have the Retro 3 Black Cats which are so all black that I can even get away with wearing them to work. But they are starting to fall apart a bit. Oh Decisions, Decisions. If I could get anything, I still really want the Jordan 11’s. If the Knicks don’t play that night, I will stand in line for them-Unless its super cold in NYC. Aaaaah! These do look pretty nice..eh? What You gonna cop this year? What do you think is the hottest release for 2011? Jordan, Dunks, or maybe even the Deadmau5 kicks that you can’t even order from the puma.uk.com on-line store unless you have a Mailing address somewhere in Europe..yeah..I did attempt it..I tried to get a pair..the day they came out… and even tried to think of a mailing address in England that I could try and send them to-but I didnt think the guy at the hotel I stayed at would remember me… He’d probably just end up with a new pair of kicks!
Here’s the up close picture of the black/cement Jordan Retro 3’s from this site. (The shoegame.com)
Here’s a picture of the Stealth Grey, Varsity Red, Black and White Air Jordan Retro 3’s available at this moment at finishline.com.
So in the world of blogging, tweeting and even facebooking, the name of the game is getting things up on the web quick. as the old saying says You Snooze You Lose, this is the case in the instant gratification world of social media in the year 2011. Sticking to this vibe, I am doing this post, but just to let you know for once I am tired and need some sleep, thus, I may update this post some more on Sunday after some Coffee at wherever I go to get coffee Sunday Morning.
Thus, “With Brain Hurting, Feet Stinging, Stomach growling” (song lyric excerpt from the Aloha Aliens-Pure System Overload Song) I write you this blog at 12:26AM about an hour or so after seeing the ‘Ohina Short Film Showcase at the Doris Duke Theatre in Honolulu, Hawaii.
While parking my car met Eric Yokomori the writer of “The Vault” How cool is that? Celebs right out in the parking lot, he seemed pretty jazzed to go to the gig and we chatted about the new Jay-Z album on the way over as we passed a pretty happening Graffiti and hip hop event happening right across the street from the theatre. I pretty much wanted to stay and go to that, but I was meeting a bunch of friends and folks in my acting class so I needed to hurry on up to get to the Film Fest. Included in the very affordable ticket price of just $15, when I arrived at the theatre I was treated to a delicious dinner which included Salad seasoned with Chinese Parsley, noodles, Yummy meat Balls, Garlicked French Bread and a Brownie. Thank you to the nice lady behind the decks of food who was so super nice..Food Courtesy of Da Spot now near Down to Earth on King Street.
I hung out, saw some old friends, met some new ones.(Darren, Jordan, Nancy, Tracey, Paul, Sherry, Ken, Peter, Pagent, Rory, Marco, My “Specialty” Doctor who I hid from-Oh I never hide from anyone! LOL.” Then went in to take my seat to watch the 12 “short” films.
If you were there, send streetzblog.com your vote on which films you enjoyed the most. I’ll start with the first one I saw and go on down the list. I really like to keep this blog positive, so if I say anything negative, please don’t freak out and lose sleep over it, it’s really just my opinion of the movie and with that comes the mood I was in when I watched it. I think that has a lot to do with a movie or event review of any kind. The better my self being, the better the event, concert, fashion, etc and/or review of the movie(s).
As the Chem Bros Say “Here We Go” (On the “Block Rocking Beats” Song)
1. Blessed Assurance- The premise here is that the island of Oahu ran out of gas, then a guy goes surfing, catches some fish, smokes a little weed, has a beer, makes a perfect barbecue and eats. Basically like Ice Cube did in his movie while he sang “Today’s a Good Day” down in Compton, but the Hawaii Version. No catchy tune like Ice Cubes in this, but the day was pretty perfect, only thing missing was hooking up. Waves could have been a bit bigger, but whose complaining. The downside is that in improv class, we learn that what makes a good story is conflict and there wasnt any conflict, the island ran out of gas, but who really cares. And the movie didn’t connect the dots to why there was no gas. no Aliens, No Russian thieves stealing it. The barbecued fish looked super ONO though and it sure was a good day in Hawaii Nei!
2. Night of the LIving: I liked this one a lot, was some dude out for a run and he bumps into sexy zombie girls, a Vampire, some werewolves that looked like humans and a Vampire. He finally makes it home and I wont tell you who his parents are, but it’s pretty awesome and it ties the whole movie together. Fun movie and the guy who played the jogger was at the premiere having a good Ol’ time!
3. Extinction of the Saber Tooth Housecat: This was pretty cool. Real world and cartoon world all in one. the cinematic effects were pretty trippy, I can’t really tell you the story or you wont be surprised when you see it, it’s about a cat and a meteor and it looks really cool.
4. Not I: LIke a 10 minute version of a :60 PSA on don’t do domestic violence. Has a pretty cool trick ending. And it was filmed where I park my car for work at Mark’s Garage, so that was pretty cool.
5. Green Tie Affair: This was the most creative movie of the night. It had a muppet guy singing 90’s type Disney tunes, bright green ties, some crazy psycho Girl selling plaid clothes, and a pretty happening pool party. Next to Night of the Living, I liked this second best, mostly do to all the crazy creativity Dane Neves was able to do and not get scolded by “the man” for doing it. Sometimes I wish my world could be more like that. Dane’s a lucky dude.
6. Why Maui Snarled the Sun: Fun Hawaiian Animated movie with a fable on how/why we have sunlight. A mystical man named Maui took care of it all for us many, many years ago so that his mother and fishermen friends could have more time during the day to work..and of course Surf and have fun. pretty happening animation, cool story, just had a couple awkward moments of dialogue that didn’t seem to match the rest of the movie, but that was actually ok, because we were able to laugh and as Dr. Oz Says, Laughter can give you 3-5 extra years on your life. Or he says something similar to that, for legal reasons I guess i gotta say I kind of paraphrased that a bit.
Intermission: Kind of boring-no drinks or food and was quite hot. I did see some of the Hot actresses and stars of the movies. But didn’t really meet anyone knew during the intermission. Was kind of dazed from the hot sun we had throughout the day and felt a bit dizzy and there was no water to drink. Not sure why they don’t sell booze and drinks during intermission, all they had were some T Shirts for $20 a piece. They had nice sayings on them, but I don’t really like shirts that have too much on the fronts, would rather it be on the back with a simpler front, I feel like I’m fatter for some reason when I wear a shirt with too many words on the front and they feel heavier too. No I’m not a Manerexic. Just paranoid..I guess.
Well, I am ready for bed now, been writing for an hour, but once I start, its hard to stop, so here goes Films 7-12.
7. The Vault: This had some nice cinematic effects and pretty witty dialogue. I can’t really tell you the story because that would spoil all the surprises-but for you that means that this movie is filled with surprizes..have fun watching it!
8. Bozo: Now if you have that phobia about being scared of clowns..DONT got see this, you wont ever sleep again. A pretty, dark, and creepy story about a clown and a total Whacko Loony bin dude. Some cool lines in it like: What, What? What kind of Clown doesn’t Drink Beer? I liked the character of the crazy guy in this, well-played and the clown..well he played his role well, but I am a bit freaked out and I don’t have that clown-A-Phobia thingy. Bozo is pretty Loko!
9. Once Was Paradise: Like Mad Max if they filmed it in Hawaii. Yikes! This had some pretty happening blood in it-Gnarly would be a perfect word for the fights. Pretty flippin’ Whacked out version of post apoptylectic Hawaii. Hopefully its far off base, but some days out here, it really could come to all that craziness. If you smoke, please smoke weed and not Ice..It will keep Hawaii a lot more peaceful. these guys didn’t seem to be smoking anything, but the beer they drank was like greenish, yellow, brown sludge like looking stuff. UGH! that’s what probably made them so ticked off at the world! Get some Stella Dude!
10. Man on the Moon: Nice cinematography and really professional. Tried super hard to get emotional. Me as a guy, I don’t really dig the mushy stuff too much, but it nabbed a bunch of the audience. Since i lived in both NYC and HI, the NYC scenes shot in Hawaii were strange for me, but if you grew up here and never went there, it probably worked. And once again I saw where I work in part of the film, which is always interesting. Out of all the films, I think I could have been in this one or the sequel or similar.
11. Mute: Another heart stringer. Emotions, ups, downs all arounds. They tried super hard to get you to cry or feel something. Many times it worked well, other times it was a bit too much. They may make it into a longer feature film in the future and it is based on a true story!
12. Shave Ice is NIce: Sometimes Simpler is better and in this Case, SIMPLER Rocked the House. Cute kid, Hot babes, crisp Photography in Ultra HD, A good film to end the evening with, Fun movie with a simple yet effective plot. No wonder, i went to 7-Eleven to get an Ice Cream Fish Cake-it was a shave Ice that I really wanted.
That’s all 12, if you were there, let us know your thoughts, if you weren’t there, it all plays once again Sunday day and night, but I dont think they will have all the stars and the free food. GN for now. Aloha!